Truck bed bike carrier project

TurdFurguson

Weird Indy Kid
DTT BOTM WINNER
Loading and unloading by myself is a real pain in the pita. Started working on a carrier that fits in the back of the truck to make this process easier. This is a v1 and will need a few renditions but so far seems like it'll be ok. Used wood for now so I can lift carry etc myself, dont want it to heavy. Its pinned up against the front of the bed and the front of the wheel well, and side to side as well so its not sliding. Im using a strap across the front to the bed mount points to hold it from flipping up when using the winch. I need to grab some angle iron as im guessing when pulling the wire is going to drag on the bed.

This was originally built to fit inside an enclosed trailer and was fastened to the floor. While the tie downs seem to be a weak point, they held a goldwing for 1200 miles without issue so I feel they are fairly sturdy.

I'll report back up once ive given it a good try. Let me know if anyone has something similar or any ideas within requirements of easily removable and light enough to handle solo!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Attachments

• IMG_3108.JPG
    IMG_3108.JPG
    324.7 KB · Views: 227
I like it alot!

Made this one a while back, but I may have to put a wench on it now.... ya know since I copy everything else hahaha

I used 3/16 x 2 x 2 angle, which is over kill but I had it so I used it. ITS HEAVYYYYYYY. I leave it in my truck most of the time. Id do it much lighter next time

97259e88ec84e44b89674b75a3be181d.jpg

341c678ee091d7eb778ea265d6b56bbc.jpg

Love the metal base design. If those are the Harbor Freight stocks, you should talk to Eric and his buddy Gregg about their experience with those last year leaving Thaw. No well designed base is going to overcome the crap construction on those HF jawns. I've been reluctant to get them ever since.

Nice, I have the HF chock on a plywood base I use in the FIL's trailer, I don't have issues with it holding my GL in place and that is not a light machine. that being said the wheel chock is just to hold it until I strap it down, then it just prevents the front from moving sideways, the rachets hold the bike, I like the winch ideal for solo loading. it pulls the bike up and you just balance it.

Great ideas. I'm getting old and fighting a bike into a truck has gotten tiresome. I see borrowing these ideas in the near future. Thanks for sharing!
Regards,
John

The winch is the smallest I could find without getting into weird form factors. The base was a little two wide for the 2x4 so I had to weld some support pieces to hug the board.

It currently uses a wired control which is way to short so I'll do some tests with my wife running it to make sure it even works as I imagine before spending more on a wireless remote which would be required for true one person usage.

Attachments

• IMG_3109.JPG
    IMG_3109.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 209
I have a small 2000lb winch as well that will be installed on the trailer I plan to build, too many times I find myself pushing a bike with flat tires and nearly shitting my pants from pushing so hard..........so much easier to hook up and let the motor do the job for you as you steady it

Nice job

Maritime said:
Or just extend the wires so you can hold the control on the bike bars and use it.

You can get a Chinese wireless remote for $8 off ebay. I would spend that in wire and have to deal with 4 20' wires not tangling up. Im thinking the wireless makes since in this case.

hurco550 said:
I like it alot!

Made this one a while back, but I may have to put a wench on it now.... ya know since I copy everything else hahaha

I used 3/16 x 2 x 2 angle, which is over kill but I had it so I used it. ITS HEAVYYYYYYY. I leave it in my truck most of the time. Id do it much lighter next time

97259e88ec84e44b89674b75a3be181d.jpg

341c678ee091d7eb778ea265d6b56bbc.jpg

I like the idea of the sliding/adj. mounts Levi!

I haven't had any issues with those chocks. I had 2 of them mounted on my moto trailer that traveled to Barber, the Thaw, and Mid-O plus more.

A bunch more elaborate than being talked about here, but this may add to the discussion: A guy in the campground last winter had this unit. Not small, not cheap, but he certainly could load it alone. He was driving a large motorhome and towing the P/U w/ an older GW loaded on this in the truck bed. The GW was kinna heavy and made the truck squat a little. A smaller café bike or off-road, etc. would just sit there all happy and carefree.

There is another unit in here right now that has the bike (Harley heavy) sitting across the back of a large motorhome. Platform lays flat on the ground, ride the bike on, secure it, and hit the switch; up it goes. It rides high enough so that the hitch and nose of his truck being towed behind just tucks in under. Not cheap for sure! (I can get pix if anybody is interested.)

All attached to the truck at the hitch receiver.

mothgils said:
I like the idea of the sliding/adj. mounts Levi!

I haven't had any issues with those chocks. I had 2 of them mounted on my moto trailer that traveled to Barber, the Thaw, and Mid-O plus more.

thanks man!

I hauled double bikes to meltdown, barber and several trips to mid o (doesn't count since its only a half hour from where I live haha)

Never had an issue with them breaking either. I think part if it is how you have the back flip up thingy for a specific wheel size. I could see it tending to break easier if the bike was sitting wedged into the hoop vs sitting on the bottom of the stand.

ridesolo said:
[size=12pt]A bunch more elaborate than being talked about here, but this may add to the discussion: A guy in the campground last winter had this unit. Not small, not cheap, but he certainly could load it alone. He was driving a large motorhome and towing the P/U w/ an older GW loaded on this in the truck bed. The GW was kinna heavy and made the truck squat a little. A smaller café bike or off-road, etc. would just sit there all happy and carefree.

That thing is crazy, i imagine it works really well but would be more of a permanent fixture.

hurco550 said:
thanks man!

I hauled double bikes to meltdown, barber and several trips to mid o (doesn't count since its only a half hour from where I live haha)

Never had an issue with them breaking either. I think part if it is how you have the back flip up thingy for a specific wheel size. I could see it tending to break easier if the bike was sitting wedged into the hoop vs sitting on the bottom of the stand.

I may have to copy that design and incorporate it into my HF moto trailer build!

mothgils said:
I may have to copy that design and incorporate it into my HF moto trailer build!
It's super simple, but let me know if you want any measurements or other pics of it

~

$50 for a 2500# winch with wireless remote @ HF if anyone's interested:

http://www.harborfreight.com/2500-lb-ATVUtility-Electric-Winch-with-Wireless-Remote-Control-61840.html?ccdenc=eyJjb2RlIjoiMzg4NzQ2NDAiLCJza3UiOiI2MTg0MCIsImlzIjoiNDkuOTkiLCJwcm9kdWN0X2lk%0D%0AIjoiMTAzMDcifQ%3D%3D%0D%0A

That's a good deal, pretty much all of the 1500,2000,2500 winches are the same with different names. I got mine open box on amazon, but I would have picked that up instead

Back
Top Bottom