best riding jeans?

warpedworm

I could agree with you but then we'd both be wrong
Any experience with riding jeans? Looking for best protection and comfort. Also looking for best for my ladies also.

i'd recommend Hornee Jeans, ample amounts of kevlar in the right places for abrasion resistance, though no provision for impact absorption. they're quite a baggy cut so they don't get tight and uncomfy while moving about on the bike.

i also have a set of no-name Camo pants from India which have got so much kevlar inside they look like yellow track pants inside a pair of camos, they also have pockets in the knees and hip areas for foam and rubber pads but i don't use them as they make the pants too tight to be comfy on the bike.

i guess look for a pair of jeans with the right features (abrasion/impact resistance/style) and then see if they fit (not just walking round but insist on at least sitting on your own bike or similar style - racerep, cruiser, cafe, trail, etc. it'd be great to roadtest them but not many shops are going to go for that)
talk to other riders/mates and see what they wear and why. check out on-line stuff like the link above.

good luck, ride safe

Ok I might catch some flak for this but, the Iron Workers jeans from Cycle Gear are pretty good pants for less than $80. They have Kevlar panels sewn in and knee guards built in. They are very comfortable and you can walk around in them and not look completly out of place. I have a pair I use regularly and have found them to be durable and comfy on and off the bike. There are more expensive jeans out there and I haven't tried a 60mph ass slide down the road in them, but the do offer better protection than Levi's and at less than half the cost of most competitors.

I use Esquad jeans.
Not Kevlar, but Armalith. A bit "rigid" fabrick, and hotter than regular jeans, but that's a small price for more safety.

Yes They ARE lifting a Hummer with these pants :eek:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEuyPipErVU

Wear seems even better than Leather, not tested that yet, and not planning too ::)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trXbkBpctKw

Thanks for all the info guys, and thanks for the link.

Anybody else have any experience or suggestions?

warpedworm said:
Thanks for all the info guys, and thanks for the link.

Anybody else have any experience or suggestions?

A few years ago I read some extensive testing in the motorcycling press (sorry, I don't remember which one) and they thoroughly debunked the use of Kevlar in products to provide abrasion resistance. Kevlar is highly puncture-resistant but not much more slide resistant than denim. That isn't what it's made for. They said that if you are paying extra for Kevlar in riding gloves, jackets, and pants you are paying for the name and for the "idea" of protection, but not real protection... unless there is a chance of getting shot. If I were going to start riding a bunch again, like I did back in the day, I'd get back into an Aerostitch. They have products other than just big, heavy, bulky riding suits.

my 2 scents, where hip, knee and shin armor when riding.. abrasion resistance alone does nothing for the initial impact with ice hard pavement :-\
and of course a jacket with armour ,real motorcyle boots, only an idiot rides in sneakers,and real motorcycle gloves, leather work gloves wont do...

That's a little misleading. The comparison tests I read concluded that decent leather pant are best but Kevlar jeans are better than stock denim and old washed denim was the worst in terms of abrasion resistance.

Kevlar seemed to be a long way behind good leather. so get leather pants - the ladies love them too - if that's a concern for you.

you mean some shaps then

untitl13.jpg

I have a set of textile armoured over pants. I wear my jeans under those and just take the over pants off and leave them with the bike when I get to where I am going and put them back on to go home. If parked in shady places I use a cable lock and thread that through the leg and through my jacket sleeve and lock to the bike. Way better protection and way more comfort after you get to the store/mall/bike show/ buddies house/ movies. being textile means 1-2 crashes and replace but I also got them from Ebay new with tags for 70 bucks shipped. they even have a removable thermal liner for early spring late fall rides.

Wranglers and chaps if cold, but I no longer drag knees... the occasional floorboard or peg may get a polish but no counter steer needed in my line choice these days.

Thomas_Hudson said:
Ok I might catch some flak for this but, the Iron Workers jeans from Cycle Gear are pretty good pants for less than $80. They have Kevlar panels sewn in and knee guards built in. They are very comfortable and you can walk around in them and not look completly out of place. I have a pair I use regularly and have found them to be durable and comfy on and off the bike. There are more expensive jeans out there and I haven't tried a 60mph ass slide down the road in them, but the do offer better protection than Levi's and at less than half the cost of most competitors.
Also have a pair of these. Knee pads can sit a little awkward when walking a round, but are perfect when sitting on the bike. I wear them for short rides to class and nobody can tell they're different from a normal pair of jeans.

I wear a set of Camo Draggin Jeans on the Phatt Trakka on the street but I prefer to wear leather. Either leather jeans and jacket or my race leathers but they do tend to attract cops.

Just started checking out Bohn, could you tell me a little more about this?
I think this is the way I want to go.

Anybody else have experience with Bohn?

Back
Top Bottom