1962 BSA DBD34 Gold Star restoration (1000 miles and more)

Re: 1962 BSA DBD34 Gold Star barn find restoration

johnu, thanks. I think I am going to try both the STD and ARRT2 boxes and choose the one best suited for my riding style. I generally ride the beautiful and empty, curvy and hilly country roads around my area of the Mississippi River and less time in heavy traffic. There is much folklore concerning the RRT2 gearbox and I understand its shortcomings for riding in the real world.

I too am looking forward to seeing my bike finished, but I am taking the time to do it right.

Sounds like where you will be riding, the cr box could be the right choice.

Nothing wrong with taking your time on the restoration, you are definately doing this bike right . My dad is the master of taking his time on resto's, luckily some of it rubbed off on me.

Three steps forward and two steps back...

Finally got the front drum lathe-turned and sorted out after quite a bit of effort and running around. My local machine shop does not have a lathe that would fit the front wheel, so I went to a couple other places and ended up at a local O'Reilly's Auto Parts store. Employee Jake was extremely helpful, patient and his Dad and uncle are British bike fans. My wheel fit in their brake lathe but I had to first remove the bearing covers, but that did not work. Then had to remove both bearings for their spindle was 1" and the ID of the bearings are 7/8". We could not get the wheel to run true on their spindle and cones. Hmmmm... I thought about inserting bearings with the same 2" OD and a larger ID to slip over their spindle but that would not work for the bearings would just spin when it was ground. I came up with a $5 solution from Fastenal-two spindle collars with an 2" OD and 1.25" ID and we were able to run the wheel true on the lathe and make the cuts.
IMAG0130.jpg

Looks much better, I double checked the spokes and rim for truth back on the truing stand and ran a dial indicator on the inside drum and I am good to go!
_MG_6381-1.jpg

Turned drum and spindle collar in bearing holder to fit the lathe.

The front tire was mounted and tomorrow I am having both wheels computer balanced. One more step towards a rolling chassis.

This build is absolutely amazing! Your attention to every little detail, the quality of the work, and your knowledge and skill will really set this bike FAR apart from any other! This will certainly be a very fine machine when you are done. You are truly a member that DTT is very proud to have!

Whats a good tolerance for a wheel? Ive spent about the day messing with it.

Side to side I'm around .02, but top to bottom I'm a little less then 1/8" and this thing is kicking my ass... Is this good or am I running around in circles?

Thanks

Thanks TW! You have a beautiful project as well.

Basement rat, truing wheels takes patience and you must know when to walk away sometimes. It is one of my favorite parts of any build, but I must be in the right frame of mind to do it. Beer is helpful. Check the factory service manual for tolerances on your bike. Are you using a stand, a swing arm or the rim mounted on your bike? Get your rims as true as possible for any wobble or hop will add up, particularly at higher speeds. New bearings are cheap and help the rim run more true.

With new rims, spokes and bearings I was able to get within .004" radially and axially on my fancy new truing stand. Remember the welded area where the rim is joined to itself will always have some hop and can never be as true as the rest of the wheel. Tighten on low and loosen on high, tighten to pull to one side while losening the corresponding spokes on the other side. I finger tighten all spokes evenly to start, then work on the axial runout (up and down) and get it as close as possible, Next, I work on the radial runout (side to side) and get as close a possible. I'll go back and tweek the axial then the radial again. All spokes should be tight and have the proper sounding ping when plucked. Proper oil in the nipple and and anti-seize lubricant between the rim and nipple is absolutely necessary.

I have a local shop dynamically balance my wheels on their machine after I true the rims and mount the tires. They charge about $30 for the pair and it is more accurate than I can do on my own stand. I pick mine up tomorrow!

Here are two references you may find helpful:
Dan Jones at SOHC.com http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=368.msg205745#msg205745
John Healy Triumph Sage http://www.tioc.org/lacing371007rim.htm

I hope this helps.

A few more steps forward...

Got my wheels back from Gary Russel's Powersports yesterday. Gary is great guy, rode a Norton back in the day, runs a small local shop on his farm and he balances all my wheels. Front wheel came out great but the back took some effort and needed a good sized lead counter weight, but they are balanced and true.
_MG_6453-Version2.jpg

I have been slowly gathering, inventorying, photographing and cleaning all my hardware so I can send it off to be cadmium plated.
_MG_6392-Version2.jpg

Almost done and I dissected my magdyno tonight to prepare its hardware for cad plating. The dynamo does put out some power but it took some effort to spin it and I soon found out why. Somehow insects got inside, shat and died, leaving it full of crud. The armature cleaned up nicely but I am leaning towards a full Hawker Electric replacement kit http://www.hawkerelectrical.co.uk/items/17-1_14-lucas-e3lm-dynamo-rebuild-kit-.htm . The magneto was much cleaner and I am going to have it professionally rebuilt, after it is vapor blasted.
_MG_6454.jpg

_MG_6455.jpg

Yuck!

Sorry for the hijack, just wanted to let you know I got mine sorted out after about four days on and off...

DSC_0099.jpg

That's the same stand I use. Got it second hand in Chicago years ago and it does what it needs to.

Garage Rat, Glad you got it sorted. Your extra wide rim and heavy gauge spokes probably made it more difficult to run true. I love the old style cast iron stands, many are Harley or Indian items and therefore way overpriced on E-bay. Bonus points for the chest freezer /workbench!

Swan,

I've always looked around the site, but joined after seeing your build. You are doing awesome!

Thanks kparrot!

FREE AT LAST, FREE AT LAST!
_MG_6467-Version2-1.jpg

As I gather hardware to be cadmium plated I finally tackled the cylinder tonight. The piston, cylinder and rings are frozen after 40 years of no use and they have been soaking in different solutions of ATF and acetone, PB Blast, Seafoam Deep Creep, DOT 3 and Marvel Mystery Oil for several months with no movement whatsoever. Next, I tried Naval Jelly, which is a gelatinous phosphoric acid, to attack the rust on the frozen pistons. Still no movement.
_MG_6384.jpg

Frozen solid

It soaked for another week in Marvel Mystery Oil and I was going to set up an electrolytic reduction to remove the rust and free the piston, but stumbled across another technique, tried it tonight and it worked! From an antique motor forum I found the 12 steps to removing a frozen piston http://www.smokstak.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37566 and it recommended scrapping away as much rust as possible (which I had done) and use a 50/50 mix of ATF and gasoline with a bit a cloth as a wick and ignite it. The heat warms and expands the whole cylinder and sleeve while the ATF works its way down past the rings. I let it burn for an hour and pounded with a large wooden drift and a dead blow hammer and I finally had movement. Several more whacks pushed the piston down and I was able to finally release it from its rusty prison. Going to finish cleaning and breaking her down tomorrow. A major step forward...
IMAG0149-Version2.jpg

Fire and Ice

_MG_6465-Version2.jpg

_MG_6470-Version2.jpg

Rebore or resleeve? I'll get out the internal micrometer tomorrow after cleaning.

swan said:
Fire and Ice

That sure is a cool tip. And it works by the looks of it.

great build you've got going.

cheers
ian

Seeing that fire in the top of that cylinder outside like that.....If it had been me there, I would have pulled up a lounge chair and opened a few beers around it! That is a true gearhead firepit!

Nice trick and thanks for sharing! That needs to be in the $50 mod thread!

tWistedWheelz said:
Seeing that fire in the top of that cylinder outside like that.....If it had been me there, I would have pulled up a lounge chair and opened a few beers around it! That is a true gearhead firepit!

Nice trick and thanks for sharing! That needs to be in the $50 mod thread!

I know know what I'm going to make my fire pit of.

And that tip is the bees knees. I've got a cb750 that is locked up. Guess I know what I'll be doing on sunday shop time.

Thanks guys, I did have a couple of pints last night to celebrate my victory over the frozen piston.

jay-kent, good luck on your CB750. I hope this technique works for you and please post your results in my thread in the "1-800 cafe-help" section for others to use. http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=23057.0

awesome man! agreed with having a few beers around that pit.... heck, even roast a few hot dogs...

the kerosene and marvel mystery oil add to the flavor.

Thanks all!

Ha! yes, it feels good to make progress. I normally do not use a hammer any where near my bikes, but after several months of soaking the rings and piston it was "hammer time".

A quick update with many photos.

I spent several hours breaking down and cleaning my motor, taking my time, doing it right, using the right tools and techniques while learning every square inch of this beautiful beast. All the bolts, studs, spindles, misc hardware were pulled, bearings and races drifted out, valves, seats and springs removed and the cases were cleaned with parts washer solution and then 3M red scrub pad for metal, Simple Green and elbow grease.
_MG_6472-Version2.jpg
_MG_6476-Version2.jpg

_MG_6480-Version2.jpg

The cases cleaned up well and no major surprises, chucks of metal, cracks, repairs etc. One of the cylinder studs was a complete bastard and required a lot of heat, lubrication and patience on my part. The crankshaft, rod, bearings and races are all in excellent shape as were the valves, springs, guides, valve seats and pushrods.

The only drama was with the tappets, tappet holders and camshafts. Take a look:
_MG_6485-Version2-1.jpg

Intake 65-2442 Exhaust 65-2446
_MG_6493-Version2.jpg

Worn?
_MG_6491-Version2.jpg

_MG_6483-Version21.jpg

The exhaust tappet was sticking due to rust and corrosion at its top and the inlet camshaft and tappet are trashed. Perhaps this is why my bike was parked all those years ago? Looks like I'll spending more money on new tappet holders, tappets and a new cam.

Tonight, the continued saga of scrubbing, cleaning, documenting and photographing parts.

the photography is really outstanding. Just a great photo journal. should be made into a coffetable book once you're done.

Jay_Kent, it is going to be a motorcycle when its done!

Back
Top Bottom