1962 BSA DBD34 Gold Star restoration (1000 miles and more)

Re: 1962 BSA DBD34 Gold Star barn find restoration

This thread is amazing, and I'm inspired by your knowledge and passion for your bike. That engine looks better than new!

Be careful, as my grandfather always says, don't spend too much time making it look perfect because you'll never want to ride it. Allthough i've seen your perfect Triton and i doubt you'll have any problem riding this soon to be beast.

Re: 1962 BSA DBD34 Gold Star restoration (UPDATE vapor blasted!)

That engine looks sooo fresh now. Are you planning on recoating it, or leaving it raw?

I love this thread.... it kills me waiting for updates though!! :)

Looks great, can't wait to see more!

Thanks guys! Everything is clean as the day it was born in the foundry nearly 50 years ago. This is the final finish, British crankcases were not painted except some cylinder barrels were painted black.

Here are a few more details of vapor blasted parts:
IMG_6834-Version2.jpg

IMG_6848-Version2.jpg

IMG_6850-Version2-1.jpg

IMG_6853-Version2.jpg

IMG_6851-Version2.jpg

I had a great time talking with Peter and his buddy Shades34 at Mods And Rockers. They have a garage full of old bikes, tools, parts, photos etc and we talked for several hours about bikes and I could not stop looking over Shade's Triton project. He has all the right bits and is doing it right.
IMG_6769-Version2.jpg

Peter is a true craftsman who is passionate about old bikes and treats his customers' parts like his own. This is the first time we have met face to face, I highly recommend his services and the results speak for themselves. I could not be happier.

I am still waiting for my Whitworth tap and die set to arrive so I can finish cleaning and prepping my hardware for cadmium plating.

Very nice! I'll be looking for that service on the east coast for sure.

Swan,

just got back from a short break and the latest artwork from John Hancox [ for the DTT calender ] was waiting for me..............BSA Gold Star .....oh boy.

Wow, this thing has come full circle my friend! Those vapor blasted parts sure are puuurty. I may be showing my dumb newb side here, but in the last pic of the engine fins, are those just casting seams in the middle of the fins? Looks like they are almost separated? Like I said, just my curiosity coming out a bit. Bike is coming along great, can't wait to see the end product! Good luck brother!

that motor looks awesome swan.

can't wait to see it together.

cheers
ian

Wow,
That vapor blasting really cleaned up those parts. They look perfect. Thanks for the pics and the update. Good luck

wow engines looking great! bet you cant wait to get the hard wear back from plating so you can put it back together!

Thanks all! It is pure torture staring at this motor case while I finish hustling up the money for a new Pearson crankshaft, Carrillo rod, bearings, piston, camshaft, tappet and guide. (USD $1800)

The bad news is I have been slammed at work and managed to sprain my ankle screwing around on a bicycle so I am on crutches and have had little time to work on my bike. The worst part is the weather is beautiful, the snow is gone, my Triton is rearing to go and I have not ridden yet this year. My goal is to ride on Easter but with a tender right ankle kicking her over may be a challenge.

The good news is I bought a decent set of UK made CEI taps and dies to finish preping my hardware for cad plating and found a vintage Craftsman British Standard Whitworth 1/2" drive socket set on Craigslist for $50! I have two complete sets of Koken sockets and sets of open, combination and ring wrenches by Everest and other Eastern manufactures, but some how got it into my head I need vintage Snap On or Craftsman wrenches. Recent E-bay auction results brought me back to reality and I will use what I have until I find older tools at realistic and affordable prices.

IMG_6993-Version2.jpg

IMG_6999-Version2.jpg

IMG_6973-Version2.jpg

Money well spent.

swan said:
Money well spent.

good tools are always an investment.

heal quickly, and jump on that triton. even if you've got to get someone else to start it ;)

Thanks BB, tools are an investment, I love them, (don't we all?)

Another step forward... I worked at my friend Pat's shop to fabricate some simple tools to finish breaking down my magdyno. The hardware is going to cad plating, the body shell will be vapor blasted and the coil will be rewound with a new modern condensor by Joe V's Cycle. In order to remove the large mag gear you need two non-existant Lucas service tools: a generator drive locking tool and locking plug for the drive gear.
locking-tool.jpg
locking-plug.jpg

Some shop scrap (1/4" rod and 13/8" rod ) and a bit of quick fabrication yielded these two tools:
IMG_7016-Version2.jpg

These two tools allow the nut on the shaft to be removed.
IMAG0639.jpg

IMAG0640.jpg

We pressed out the rotor and the inside components look pretty clean after sitting for 40 years. No rust or major carnage.
IMG_7015-Version2.jpg

IMG_7017-Version2.jpg

I found the Lucas Magdyno workshop instructions here.

swan said:
Some shop scrap (1/4" rod and 13/8" rod )

hang on a minute swan. It's been a long time since I've had to work with that crazy imperial system, but 13/8" just does my brain in! Did you just make that up?

Oh, and nice work on the tools. what ever you used ::)

ian

Prolly means 1 3/8" rod, that's a big hunk of steel too.

Yes-sir, the comma was left missing I'd suspect? Here, borrow one of mine ,,,
1,3/8"
Cheers, 50gary

Yes, my bad, typo... 1 3/8" ( 1 inch 3/8, 1, 3/8" 1.375"). Thanks guys.

A quick little update: I picked up a few final small bits from Custom Powder Coating in Minnesota City on my lunch hour. The magdyno straps and cap look absolutely beautiful as do the brake parts and spacers. Not much, but it makes me happy and is another small step forward!

IMG_7218-Version2.jpg

Slow and steady wins the race, man. Any short cuts on this project and you'll only hate yourself later.

I covet your Craftsman Ebay bargain.
Well spotted!

Back
Top Bottom