1962 BSA DBD34 Gold Star restoration (1000 miles and more)

Re: 1962 BSA DBD34 Gold Star restoration (Motor in rolling chassis!)

ProSimex said:
Absolutely fantastic. Any time I check this build and there are no updates I'm pretty dissapointed and sad. What I want to know is if you're drinking that beer ice cold, or just below room temp as is proper. If your drinking it cold your bike will never run properly, just the way the universe works.
PromSimex, I use proper glassware for different beer types (the right tool for the job) and drink lagers, hefe's etc cold, pales cool, IPA's DIPA, ESB and bitters at "cellar" temperature and like my milds, browns, porters, stouts and black IPAs a bit warm as they all should be.

Cbaci, good to see you on this sight and look forward to drinking in the woods with you and some of the Ronin crew!

Good man, I figured you knew what you were doing. Just wanted to make sure. I consume my beer with the right tools at the proper temp as well.

swan said:
good to see you on this sight and look forward to drinking in the woods with you and some of the Ronin crew!

I usually haunt Naked Goldwing and Not-So-Modern Vespa. But since I see back alley bikes is a sponsor here (and of course you're sharing your well documented resto is here) I thought I'd stay for more than just a visit. I wish my taste in Japanese bikes had a good beer match. In the proper glassware for the proper drink category, there's nothing like drinking Shoutoku Junmai Daiginjo-shu from a sake' masu. Of course I lean towards the Belgian monastics for my beer. +1 for your Surly shims!

As if no one has said this before. This is a wonderful build thread ;)

I am at the point where I actually enjoy that there is no tangible progress. It pushes back the awful day when the bike is finished.............

Thanks Leggers.
bumpthump said:
I am at the point where I actually enjoy that there is no tangible progress. It pushes back the awful day when the bike is finished.............
BT, half the fun is restoring this, but the other half will be riding her.

I am back from some much needed time off and will start on the gearbox tonight.

This would not be any fun if it was easy? I started on my STD and RRAT2 gearboxes thinking I could rebuild both, try them and then choose which I will use. Wrong...
IMG_9472-Version2-1.jpg

Standard gearbox

The STD box has two badly worn and scored layshaft bushes and and both ends of the layshaft are scored as well. The bushes need to be replaced and /or the layshaft turned or replaced (more $)
IMG_9545-Version2.jpg

STD layshaft left vs RRAT2 layshaft on right.

My next thought was to use the internal gears from the STD box and fit them to my RRAT2 lay and main shafts. So far so, good, but the 4th gear mainshaft pillon (constant mesh gear) bush is trashed and .030 oversized on the clutch end and needs to be replaced.
IMG_9558-Version2.jpg

IMG_9556-Version2.jpg

So I'll order a new bush and need to wait before assembly. I must also wait for my reverse camshaft to arrive and think about replacing the kickstart quadrant with a more forward facing type to accommodate the rearsets. As long as I am spending more money, it is time to replace the gearbox sprockets as well.
IMG_9557-Version2.jpg

I did however install two new main shaft bearings and the outer seal with Winona Boiler and Steel's massive press (I really need to buy or build a small press).
IMAG0094.jpg

IMG_9562-Version2.jpg

I also installed the two layshaft Torrington bearings (a gift from Limeyrider, thanks!) They did not have oil holes like the original bearings so after some careful measuring and Dremel work, I created oil holes in the outer bearings and pressed them in place. I used a magnet to deter swarf from getting in to the bearings, but washed and regreased them afterward to ensure they are clean and roll free.
IMAG1070.jpg

IMAG1071.jpg

That's it for now until new parts arrive and I find/make the time to do more work.

I trust the Goldie won't interfere with Abrasive time tonight...

Looking good.

Thanks bwald, will I see you tonight for Surly Abrasive?

I got to this too late. Unless you meant...the next tonight, in which case, well, probably.

Does it look like the gearbox is offering up the biggest clues as to why the bike was eventually laid up?

BT, my Goldie originally came with a ARRT2 gearbox and all is good inside and was not why the bike was parked. I suspect the seized intake tappet and worn camshaft was why the bike failed and was put away.
_MG_6493-Version2.jpg

The ARRT2 gearbox is a weird, one year only mix of gears sent to the US and is not the best combination and as I understand it, the transition from 3rd to 4th is quite a leap. People often say it was an effort to use up stock parts at the factory, but we will never know. I kept a STD box from an A10 RGS replica I was building when I found my Goldie and it is the one that was in rough shape, worn bushes, bearings, layshaft etc. I plan to fit the STD gears in my ARRT2 gearbox to keep original appearance but with a better gear pattern for riding.

It's a time like this you have to admit, Swan... you are either the smartest or luckiest son-of-a-gun to walk this planet.

Your gearbox certainly sounds like a weird set up. As you doubtless know, the "normal" RRT2 gearbox (of which I've had a couple fitted to run of the mill BSAs in my time) had a very tall first gear with the others bunched in close ratios close behind.........really gives the clutch an impossible life in around town. So does your Frakenstein one have conventional gearing in first through third, then a likely collapse in revs when you hit fourth....almost like some horrid overdrive type of thing?

jbrtwork said:
It's a time like this you have to admit, Swan... you are either the smartest or luckiest son-of-a-gun to walk this planet.
"Hard work and luck" defines me.

BT, As valuable and desirable as RRT2 gearboxes are, I have no interest in running one on my bike. I will be riding around town, up and down the beautiful, winding bluffs along the Mississippi River in my area, empty country roads and never on a race track. So for real world riding I am using the STD cluster to start and then tweek as need be. I plan to use a Pearson clutch and there is no need to trash that work of art. You could retire if you sold your original RRT2 boxes today.
_MG_6344-Version2.jpg

The ARRT2 box was strange, one year only box used for US 1962 Gold Stars (mine) and 1963 Rocket Gold Stars. I am keeping all my original parts because they are rare and original to my bike.

The "Chart" of BSA of swing arm A and B model gearbox ratios can be found here: http://bsa-a10.hailwood.com/images/gearbox/chart1.jpg
chart1-1.jpg

Bsagearchartedit.jpg

Abridged version of the chart with the ARRT2 ratios:

As I understand it, 4th gear on the ARRT2 is the same as the RRT2, but getting there is more like a Scrambler ratio and it has a short first gear ratio (2.877). I may install the original ARRT2 gear cluster after getting a baseline with the the STD cluster for comparison. I am very familiar with STD BSA A65 gear ratios but have only ridden an A10 once, so STD is a good place to start.
chart1detail.jpg

It has been a busy week for me with work and travel but getting a package from the UK always makes my day. My new oil lines and reverse gearbox camshaft arrived today from Autocycle Engineering. Both items are made in Birmingham, very well made and fit perfectly. Some have reported problems with Asian made oil lines kinking and starving the motor of oil. These appear to be solid and will not kink.
IMG_9568-Version21.jpg

The oil lines will route under the gearbox.

IMG_9569-Version21.jpg

IMG_9570-Version21.jpg

I will have time this weekend to work on my bike, install the oil tank and lines, tool box etc, stay tuned....

WOW this is looking great inspirational for sure

Nice workmanship sir,I dont know if you know that here in the uk (Suffolk) there is a man called Andy Ternen who has the most amazing work shop of old brit bikes ,He has a labyrinth of brit bike parts his mechanics are very knowledgeable and are always helpful his webb site is andybuysbikes.com
Dont know if this will be helpful
keep up the good work sir.

CIMG1705sm.jpg

Another way to install that spring without losing an eye.

kabang! love updates for this one! Last pic is 'the money shot' fo sho!

Back
Top Bottom