1962 BSA DBD34 Gold Star restoration (1000 miles and more)

Re: 1962 BSA DBD34 Gold Star restoration (Gearbox is done)

I'm Glad you said something, cause i read it yesterday and wanted you to have the first crack at it swan. Modern bikes are great and all and they do run better to a certain extent. But its all about what you like and what you want. I love your build swan and he can get off his high horse and realize not everyone should have the same preferences as him. I'm less picky with bikes than cars, I wonder if it makes him irritated that I have an obsession with inline 6's in my cars. Is that the norm or whats easier to obtain? Not really but its what i prefer.

By the way swan, I think you said exactly what needed to be said with the most etiquette of anyone i have seen on here. I hand it to you for not flying off the handle and handling it like someone with true intelligence.

Well said Swan, that post was really hatefull and lame, I'm glad you handled it like an adult. I really like this thread and dont see the need for such negativity.

Keep up the good work, you are an inspiration to us all.

I really don't see the need for you to come in here and bash on someone when they are obviously building something with a true passion. I do believe swan said somewhere in here that obviously it was never really going to compare to a modern bike in shear performance but that he was building it with a true labor of love. Its not like he is making some gaudy piece of metal that was originally a piece of handcrafted art. Regardless whether it modernized or not it is one of the bike companies that helped keep the racing motorcycle heritage alive after the wars until countries like German, Italy, and Japan could get back on their feet and push the boundaries of motorcycle development.

Swivel,

If you do not like BSA's or Gold Stars, do not ride one.
If you do not like Phil Pearson, do not buy from him.
If you do not like this restoration thread, do not read it.

You are right about the Yamaha Vmax specs. I did not know what one was until I Goggled it and misread the hp as max speed.

Art and taste are subjective and to my eyes most any motorcycle made past 1976 is "souless". Sure modern bikes are faster, more efficient, reliable etc., but I like the look, design, mechanics and performance of old bikes. I have no "delusions, rapture or dreams" about this bike, it is not a modern bike and is just a restoration. I look forward to riding it and am sharing the build process with others who want to come along for the ride.

Swivel....... I will agree with you on the top speeds of the Gold Star VS V-Max. It just "feels" like one is doing 150 on a Gold Star while the earth is shaking (along with your teeth) as the speedo sweeps past the ton. The Gold Star earned it's name in 1937 when Wal Handley came out of retirement to race the alcohol fueled Empire Star at Brooklands and earned a Gold Star for lapping the circuit at 100 MPH. BSA was coming out with a higher spec version of the Empire Star so it was named "Gold Star" being able to do over the ton from the factory. You stated that this bike was 20 years obsolete when it left the factory and that if it was as good as claimed that it would still be made. When production was stopped in 1963 the Gold Star was still competitive ...... and.... still winning races for years afterward. The reason production was halted was not because sales were bad or the Gold Star was outdated. The real reason was that production costs were much to high due to the labor intensive nature of setting up a race bike for the street. I wonder if you have ever ridden or owned a Gold Star or anything like it ? Having owned a CBX, and ridden both a 916, and several Vmax I can honestly say that those bikes do have soul...... but it is different than riding a British single, especially one which you resurrected on your own. There is a certain indiscernible feeling attributed to riding these thumping pieces of machinery which gives one a nostalgic sensation of times past. Oh yeah, I know you will say that is just the sentiment of an old fart trying to relive the past........ but...... get that same old outdated British single on Deals Gap, Rt32 in Ky, or "The Snake" in Tennessee and it will make a mockery of the CBX or the Vmax (probably not the 916). As for the HD Sporty, even though still being produced, is not a better sporting bike. My 883 would do 110 MPH (indicated), same as the Gold Star, but I am afraid it would come up short in the handling department. Not bad....... a 1930's designed single cylinder 500,which you claim was outdated technology when new, being as fast and better handling than a modern motorcycle almost twice it's engine size with an engine redesigned in the early 2000's. Why not try one of those "dated" British engineered singles for yourself and see if I am correct. If you can't find a Gold Star ......... go to your nearest Royal Enfield dealer and get a test ride. Not quite the same bike in terms of speed or style, but it will suffice........

Attachments

• Photo10201137.jpg
    Photo10201137.jpg
    356.6 KB · Views: 250

Take it outside gents :) No need to use this thread to throw the glove down.

Honestly I don't think it would matter what make or model of bike Swan was devoting this much time and effort into not only restoring but documenting the process on. There would still be a great deal of appreciation and admiration for the process. I'd enjoy reading this every bit as much if it were a moped being restored.

sorry Tim, i don't post much these days but felt the need to defend his work.

Swivel said:
dewjantim,Pick your road and bikes and put your money on the table sometime,then.How many top racers and WSB racers have complimented you on your fast riding of late?I don't nickel and dime around,it would have to be 10K to start.
Well...... last week I was at Roberts' ranch and passed Rossi on Kenny's short track which is in the south forty. Thought I was pretty hot until KR cruised by me and kicked the shit out of my left boot. He yelled.... "Get the fuck outta' my way asshole" as he slid by and I wobbled around like a kid learning to ride a push bike. Then that little smurf Rossi flew by and spit on me..... screaming, "You fuckin' novice" in Italian. So..... to answer your question..... no, my riding skills have not been complemented on by any major road racers. My road? Rt 32 in eastern Ky....... time, tomorrow at 12:00 noon. Bet: how about 15000 USD to start. Meet up at the Rt 7 intersection just outside West Liberty (well it used to be there before the tornado anyway). And..... if I am not there, start without me and I will catch up. To be fair about it...... you can use my RE and I will use one of my Ducs. Gauntlet thrown.......... and challenge accepted. By the way....... why don't you put a little info in your profile, like where you race at, kind of bike you race, where you live, or even your age. Just claiming to have big balls doesn't impress me......... or anyone else for that matter. Sorry, if I hijacked your thread Swan. I admire your work and passion. Gold Stars are one of my favorites and I am jealous......... Swivel, see ya' tomorrow........ and please bring cash.

Attachments

• IMG_1313 (2).JPG
    IMG_1313 (2).JPG
    164.8 KB · Views: 2,265

swan said:
Swivel,

If you do not like BSA's or Gold Stars, do not ride one.
If you do not like Phil Pearson, do not buy from him.
If you do not like this restoration thread, do not read it.

I was going to type out a diatribe but decided it wasn't worth the effort.

Swivel is just looking for an argument, I have no idea why? (maybe something to do with the amount of money he has accumulated?)
Sounds like a guy I used to work with,
If you had a black cat, he had a blacker one ::)
If you don't rise to it, he'll just go somewhere else
He never did reply about his bikes/building experience when I asked a few months ago
The other thing, Top Racers don't compliment amateur's, unless they are being sarcastic ;D

Why did this cat Swivel have to come crap in this thread. I can't even fathom why he is a member of this forum. His attitude towards this build seems contrary to the what the average member here exhibits towards any kind of project posted around these parts.

Anyways....now that we've learned (yet again) that there's loads of folks out there who know the price (and speed) of everything, and the value of nothing, lets return the thread to Swan.......

...and now back to our regularly scheduled programming....

I went through my Amal 389/004 carburettor and ordered replacement parts directly from Amal UK. My plan is to use the existing cylinder head and carb until next winter when I can afford a larger DBD cylinder and Amal MKII carb to really let the motor breathe and spit. I am also going to talk to my machine shop about replacing the valves and guides on CB head with some new ones made from modern materials.

There will be more light at the end of the tunnel when my tax return arrives next week so I can buy the last of the needed parts including the clutch assembly, new dynamo kit, regulator, switches and wiring harness and have my speedometer restored and magneto rewound. This bike will see the light of day soon.

Fantastic write up - I was sharing the emotion hearing the reading out of 'D.B.D.3.4'...
Thanks for the great pics of your journey, much appreciated. :)

And for the record, my first road bike was a GSXR, I am too young to have ever seen BSA in their heydey, and I would still give my left one for a Goldie. You are living the dream of many, cheers...

Thanks sifty, HD, 03rangerxlt and everyone else, glad to know people are still reading this. My bike karma nearly struck again for I was the second person who responded to a 1953 Triumph 650 basket case on Craigslist for $500. Would have loved to grab it at that price and restore it after the Goldie. I cannot complain for I am the luckiest person and have a Gold Star.

Minor update-my carb parts arrived yesterday from Amal in the UK. My original carb was incomplete, rough and dirty so I had it vapor blasted and basically am replacing everything but the body, jet block and Webco float cover. Again, it is so nice to work with clean used and new parts.
IMG_0091-Version2.jpg

IMG_5050.jpg

I am patiently awaiting my tax returns which should be sent any day now so I can buy the clutch, electrical upgrades, and the rest of the missing bits. Stay tuned...

Wonder if he whistles while he works? ;D

Swan, I can't tell you how much I've enjoyed this thread (with the very minor exception of that obnoxious 'swivel' fella)!! I'm currently negotiating for a 1957 BSA 441 Alloy Clipper that a friend has in his barn (next to his BSA A5). When I get it (I'm pretty confident I can talk him into letting me have it), I'll post pics. Thanks again for keeping us up to date on your progress!!

Back
Top Bottom