1962 BSA DBD34 Gold Star restoration (1000 miles and more)

Re: 1962 BSA DBD34 Gold Star restoration (Gearbox is done)

This has got to be one of the best reads on the internet for bike restorations. Even if you are a fan of a different Marque, Swan, you are showing how to do one of these writeups the right way!

Absolutely amazing detail, documentation and patience!

I just wish I was close enough to come take a gander in person.

_

If you dont mind me asking, what city do you live in? My girlfriend is in the elk river area and I am there quite often, I would love to see this bike in person sometime.

Sent from my SCH-I400 using Tapatalk

I am in Winona, MN. I guess that makes me a Winona rider.

Well Played Scroggins...haha ;D

Eventually we should really get a MN/WI group to meet at some place that has great food. Seems there are a few of us MN guys on here and the Western WI guys are close enough too.

*Now back to Swan's regularly scheduled program *

Another slight detour, my new ride, she's a '64... http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=35538.0
IMAG0202.jpg

Sweet bike...... I had a blue stingray when I was in junior high. Saved my pennies from the 1st grade to buy it. It had a cheater slick and three speed trans which would slip out of gear at the worst moment......... resulting in busted nut syndrome.

Very cool, Swan. Now you can get a paper route to subsidize that Goldie. ;D

My ride, back in '66 was a gold AMF Roadmaster... you know, AMF... the company that damn-near killed Harley Davidson.

Re: Re: 1962 BSA DBD34 Gold Star restoration (Gearbox is done)

swan said:
I am in Winona, MN. I guess that makes me a Winona rider.
Funny, her brother lives in winona, thats a nice town for sure!

Sent from my SCH-I400 using Tapatalk

jbrtwork said:
Very cool, Swan. Now you can get a paper route to subsidize that Goldie. ;D
Thank is how I filled the tank on my first bike, a Honda Trail 90, when I was a kid.

Quick update, the carb is done and my tax return is here so I am calling England tomorrow to order the clutch, wiring harness and a few other goodies. Also going to pack up the magneto for restoration.
IMG_0109-Version2.jpg

IMG_0110-Version2.jpg

IMG_0112-Version2.jpg

IMG_0113-Version2.jpg

IMG_0114-Version2.jpg

IMG_0116-Version2.jpg

IMG_0117-Version2.jpg

IMG_0118-Version2.jpg

IMG_0119-Version2.jpg

IMG_0121-Version2.jpg

English tickler
IMG_0124-Version2.jpg

IMG_0125-Version2.jpg

Here is Burlen Amal's new hard anodized slide
IMG_0128.jpg

IMG_0130-Version2.jpg

IMG_0131-Version2.jpg

IMG_0134-Version2.jpg

IMG_0136-Version2.jpg

IMG_0122-Version2.jpg

IMG_0140-Version2.jpg

I kept the non-stock Webco carb bowl extension that came with the bike.

I actually like AMAL carbs.
You can see where Mikuni 'smoothbores' and Kei-Hin CR came from when you look at the bore of the 'crude old things' ;)

Those aren't very different from the SUs on my old MGB.

Monoblocs seem to be hated be most, but I actually like them too. I ran twin monoblocs on my BSA Lightning and once I sorted them out, they were great. Like most things, it is easy once you know how to do it. Many people simply do not take the time to learn to tune and adjust their carbs and prefer "set and forget" function of modern carbs and fuel injection systems. For me, the fewer the parts, fewer the problems.

The main thing that lets them flow so well is the removable jet block and thin wall throttle slide.
On Lightening with left and right float chambers, did you have the lower balance pipe to main jets?

Yup, I ran a balance tube and they had left and right matched bodies.

I ordered my new clutch yesterday and should see it next week. Also, I managed to find an original OEM Smiths speedometer dial with the exact matching numbers as my old one. When it arrives next week, I am going to bite the bullet and send it out to Nisonger for restoration. Joe V is getting my mag next week for restoration as well.

I could not find a replacement quick detach QD Gold Star wiring harness from the normal US vendors, so I asked Phil Pearson in the UK and he did not know. George Prew told me he did carry them but does not anymore because the current ones are “rubbish”. Both taped and cloth braided non quick detach versions are easily available. I read somewhere older Land Rovers utilized the same Lucas QD plug (???) Also, I read on Tiger Spares' website (but could not confirm) an earlier Triumph Pre-unit QD harness would work on a GS. "We offer Early Replica Parts ranging from QD Wiring Harnesses for 1949 TR5 '60-'62 Pre-unit TR6 and T120. This harness is also found on the BSA Gold Star, Rocket Gold Star and many other competition machines of the period."

I thought my bike had an incomplete wiring harness, so I went back and studied my breakdown photos and realized I did have a full harness to begin with, but did not know where I put it. I dug through my BSA parts boxes and could not find it, but today a friend needed a Honda CB750 part and when I searched my Honda spares I found my missing section of GS harness. Yes! It is dirty and dusty but not terribly bad or chewed up. I think I can salvage it. If not, I will order the correct color wires and bullet connectors from British Wiring and make a new one using the old as a template. Or as suggested by rick e (thanks!) I could order a non-quick detach harness and splice it with the male and female 5 pin QD plugs from my old harness. The original Lucas 41SA switch is frozen solid and will be replaced.
IMG_0167-Version2.jpg

IMG_0168-Version2.jpg

I am going to bead blast and re-zinc the metal parts of the plugs.

IMG_0171-Version2.jpg

Re: 1962 BSA DBD34 Gold Star restoration (making progress)

Anyone who has owned an Amal with a "tickler" can appreciate this... ;)

Attachments

• c482_1.gif
    c482_1.gif
    23.3 KB · Views: 1,843

Oh yes. That's for sure. I had chopped monoblocks on a T100 alloy motor, GP on my Goldie and Concentrics on a T120 race bike. In fact I copied the Z needle profile onto a CB750 needle for alky conversion on a CB77. GP and TT were beautiful carbs. Never owned an RN but the GP was super smooth bore. Nothing in the way.

WOW Nice!

Back
Top Bottom