1962 BSA DBD34 Gold Star restoration (1000 miles and more)

Re: 1962 BSA DBD34 Gold Star restoration (Clutch, primary and rear drive are done)

Glad to see the progress I am pretty sure your build is an inspiration to EVERYONE on this site :)

HAHAHA I love that you snap a picture of your buddy and his run in with the law. ;D Did he get a ticket?

Re: 1962 BSA DBD34 Gold Star restoration (Clutch, primary and rear drive are done)

Thanks jonnyThundermaker. Unfortunately, he did a ticket for no helmet (a requirement while riding with a permit) but did manage to charm his way out of not having a license plate (applied for), no proof of insurance and riding on the sidewalk/ riverwalk (there was no sign). He was lucky...

The only bright spot during a very stressful and brutal work week was the arrival of my rebuilt speedometer.
IMG_0573-Version2.jpg

It is absolutely beautiful! Nisonger did an excellent job, had a fast turnaround and guarantee their work. The restoration cost more than twice what I was originally quoted, but I gave them the go ahead to do it because for me this is an extremely important detail on my bike. I wanted it done right so it looks and functions properly. Chronometrics in my eyes are the most beautiful looking instrument I have ever seen on a motorcycle.
IMG_0571-Version2.jpg

IMG_5473-Version2.jpg

I also managed to get a little shop time last night to mill the new slot in my kickstart quadrant so the kickstarter is better aligned with my rearsets.

Back to work for me, no rest for the wicked....

Re: 1962 BSA DBD34 Gold Star restoration (Speedometer is restored)

That looks amazing! they really did a grat job! I would have loved them to give you a pic of the internals to compare against that pile of rust you had, I'm sure it's cool!

IMG_0577-Version2.jpg

Thank you Phil Pearson. New inlet valve guide going to my machinist this morning so I can finish the motor.

Wow, that speedo looks better than NOS. I wonder how many parts they were able to reuse.

Yea, that speedo looks better than a Rolex! I think the ridiculously high quality of the photographs has a lot to do with that though :)

Do you know what the valve guide is made of? It doesn't look like a bronze alloy, but maybe that's the light/alloy?

The original is a bronze alloy, but, probably been sitting around for 40~50 yrs ;)
The new one looks like it may be aluminumbronze?
Do you have a professional light set up for macro photography?

It looks like two white umbrellas pointed at a white backdrop.

swan said:
Thanks jonnyThundermaker. Unfortunately, he did a ticket for no helmet (a requirement while riding with a permit) but did manage to charm his way out of not having a license plate (applied for), no proof of insurance and riding on the sidewalk/ riverwalk (there was no sign). He was lucky...

Now, if only he could pay off his bar tab.

marsupialwoe said:
So what's the line at 30mph mean?

There is a 30mph speed limit in Britain in built up area's (street lights/lamp posts are 100yds apart or less)
It just makes it easier to know when your going over the limit ;D

Ha, thanks all. Flash panels for the photographs.

Phil told me it was "modern" valve guide material and I do not know the alloy, but trust him to use the best.

The 30 mph line was to remind the rider of the newly imposed national speed limit in Britain, which of course they ignored. Also it indicates when the 6 volt dynamo system brings the head lamp up to full brightness.

Bwald,"Now, if only he could pay off his bar tab." I was wondering why I have not seen him at the bar lately...

My girlfriend flew in and surprised me last night so I will not be working on my bike this weekend for all the right reasons...

Well at least you'll still get to go riding ;)

Looks great, the chrono restoration looks amazing.

Greg-NWO said:
Well at least you'll still get to go riding ;)

photos ? LOL..................

This is a fantastic thread though I'm sorry to say I haven't read all 49 pages yet! Did it turn out to be the close ratio gear box? If it is guard it with your life. I had one on a 58 Triton back in the UK and bought the bike with out me or the seller knowing that. Later on I was offered 900GBP for the gear box alone- this was in about 2000/2001.

Just read page 9- sorry to hear you don't have the RRT2 after all.

That valve guide looks like it might be manganese bronze, also known as bearing bronze. It has a very light yellow color, but shines silver"ish" in pictures. It's hard as a wh*re's heart and wears unbelievably well. That speedo looks absolutely gorgeous too.

Thanks all. Andycafe, you do not get to see those photos.....

New valves, guides and springs are in. I can button up the motor this weekend!
IMG_0655-Version2.jpg

IMG_0657-Version2.jpg

swan said:
Thanks all. Andycafe, you do not get to see those photos.....

Haha well done, now back to your build......................

The chrono looks fantastic. On the trip meter digits, is there a variation in colour from one digit to the next? If so, it looks absolutely brilliant. It's like a really fine piece of patina has been captured within the instrument. Very cool.

Back
Top Bottom