1962 BSA DBD34 Gold Star restoration (1000 miles and more)

Re: 1962 BSA DBD34 Gold Star restoration (Speedometer is restored)

bwald said:
That was probably Andrew's Rebel that he recently sold. White seat? I'm really loving those pipes, man. Anyway, to avoid hijacking Jon's thread, I'll move this to PM.

sounds like the one, i thought it was a rebel but i dont know newer bikes that well.

I was thinking the same thing about the hijacking.

keep up the great work swan, hopefully I'll be able to see the BSA in person someday soon.

GF visits have a way of slowing down a build thread. ;)

Just marry her, and the build will get even slower ;)

Seems like people I meet with multiple bikes, always are divorced or not married. Seems like motorcycles and marriage are not quite compatible...LOL

Hopefully, MY wife hasn't ask me to chose her or the motorcycle, cause I would really miss her... :D

Not all...my wife doesn't care as long as they aren't in her house (that has happened).

Sorry all, no time, no money... Tomorrow marks two years I have had this bike and I am frustratingly close to finishing, but I simply have not had the time or the final $1500 I need to finish her right. My CB400f runs, is nearly complete and will go up for auction as soon as I can in order to finish paying for the final expenses for my Goldie. GF is out of state and does not care what I do, understands my passion for bikes and that they were with me before she came along, but she does not like a bike in my living room. Lately, I wake up, stare my Goldie and leave the house before 7 am, come home for lunch sometimes, stare at my Goldie, get home after 11 pm stare at my Goldie.... Barely had time to ride the Triton with work, prepping car, house and garden for winter and 60-100 hour work weeks lately. Soon...

Geesh that's the lamest excuse ever...................Just kidding ;D we will all wait for the finish because this build is one of the cleanest restorations I have ever seen documented, just don't go and burn yourself out completely before you get the chance to finish it and go for a ride on it. Oh and how much do you want to get for the 400F because I want one and if I have funds when you go to sell I will buy it knowing it is likely put together better than I could do myself.

Cheers,

Maritime

It is a tough time of year to sell bikes so I expect less than I would in the spring. I would like to see $3500-4000 when it is complete, synched, shook down and running perfect It is essentially new with only one real flaw-the front fender, It is a bit beat up and I am not in the mood to spend money on a replacement. I may e-bay the CB400F but dread the fees, hassle etc of selling a bike on e-bay.

Well post up in for sale, I may no thave hte dough when you finish, but if I do I would be interested, or know someone who might be.

I cannot believe I have only just found this thread.

Just spent the last few hours reading through it! Excellent job and attention to details...gonna be a real looker!

...and those Phil Pearson parts....too pretty.

Thanks Maritime, I will let you know. Thanks Green199, it has been a long trip. I hate to cover up the Pearson goodies but think of the peace of mind a new crank and clutch will offer when I really give her the whip.

It's funny.....I am much older these days, so you'd reckon I'd be really impatient to see this bike finished....but I'm not. We all know it's going to happen, and it'll be worth the wait.

I agree 100% with bumpthump. I will greatly miss this thread when the bike is finished. We all want our bikes to be finished. I am hoping to start work on mine again in the next week. I have no funds to complete. I don't really have the time. but I look outside and see the cold setting in and it's time to work on it again. Let's face it over the course of the next 5 months it will get done. Probably when snow is still on the ground or it's pissing rain. Stupid to panic and rush now anyway.

two wheels of hell said:
... I have no funds to complete. ...

the Ancient Hawaiian Ailment ... LaKaMoni ...

I am in the same place....

There is something very primal about the old BSA singles, I really like them, and I am enjoying this build coming together....It is funny how we look forward to the build finishing, and at the same time, will miss the whole build process when it is done....

I can't believe I just found this yesterday; read until nearly mid-night and then up this AM to finish, and no finish. Someone, please buy the Honda so Swan can finish this amazing build.

Thanks rundown, mydlyfkryzis and the rest of you. Trust me, I am more anxious than anyone to see this bike finished, but it must be done right with no corners cut. Time and money...

The CB400F is done, I am shaking her down and she runs extremely well. I am still tweeking the carbs to make the idle circuit a bit better (pods are notoriously difficult to tune on these small inline fours). It has been cold riding and frost on the windows every morning. I want to sell her ASAP but may need to wait until spring to sell her so I can get a much better price.

Anyways, I plan to bring the Goldie over to the Winona Riders' workshop soon so I can slowly do what I can (wiring, compression and leakdown tests, etc) As always, stay tuned....

Swan, I've read that the GS must have a timed breather - My ZB32 (1950) engine does not have a timed breather or a tacho drive or a slotted nut on the mag pinion. It looks like it never had any of this, or.. a PO has removed the original timing cover and all the breather gubbins that go with it.
Or....
It never had one and the breather pipe on the bottom of the timing housing is all that's needed.
I don't seem to have any breather issues- but I've only finished the bike a few tankfuls of petrol ago.
Do I need to look at a timed breather and all the mods mentioned or is that for a later model?

Davidc, sorry for the lengthly delay in my response but the short answer is to hit up the Britbike.com forum for they know more about earlier Goldies than I do.

I want to finish this bike more than anything, the days are getting longer and spring will be here in a few months. Once I file my tax return and get my refund I shall have the money to complete this bike.

Hmmmmmm.... I spent the morning reading Britbike.com forum member Magnetoman's lengthy discourse on magnetos and did my own research on what my options are for rebuild, electronic ignition and/or new replacement. The afternoon was spent working on the Goldie's magdyno and a Lucas K2FC magneto for my Triton when I go to a pre-unit motor. The good news is both magnetos are functionally normally. This frozen hunk of anodized alloy, 40 year old dried grease and insect infected magdyno is now working.

IMG_5426-Version2-1.jpg

It was vapor blasted, cleaned, hardware cadmium plated, inspected and re-assembled and both the magneto and dynamo portions work properly. But for how long? It produces a nice even and consistent spark. The weakness in these devices is the condenser /capacitor which tends to fail once the unit heats up. I rigged up a qualitative bench test and ran the magdyno for 20 minutes. The spark remained consistent the through the entire test.
IMG_3268.jpg

This is where the hmmmm... comes in. The cheap and impatient portion of my mind which wants to ride this bike ASAP says put it in and start riding (and save $400-500 on a rebuild). The rational and logical side of my mind says it will fail and I need to at minimum have it professional tested and preferably rebuilt with a new condenser. If I don't replace the condenser there is strong chance it will fail after riding it for awhile and then my bike will be down for several weeks right at the beginning of riding season (false economy). The challenge is finding the right person to restore it correctly to factory specifications. To start, there is small motor shop in town with a motorcycle friendly old timer working there. I will ask him if he has test equipment and at minimum remagnetize my magnetos. There are many old magneto tractor and tractor collectors in my area so if he cannot do it, he will know someone who can.

My neighbor and machinist Skip is an old motorcycle mechanic and all around great guy lent me a Lucas NC1 single competition magneto. It appears to be the same girl as my magdyno's magneto but in a different dress and different ignition plate. He stopped in tonight to pick up my Honda CB750 cylinder head he is machining for me and laughed. "You want to spend how much to rebuild a working magneto? Ride it!" Thanks Skip.
IMG_3280.jpg

Hmmmmm.. more variables to consider. I can now get my bike running but still need a chain guard, side stand, horn, battery and fuel line ($700 +). Seeing spark tonight means there is light at the end of this long, long dark tunnel. My local pub has a firken of fresh hopped pale ale on cask tonight. Gonna walk down, grab a pint and suss this out. Stay tuned...

You want to spend how much on a rebuilding a working Mag? I have to say Skip is the voice of reason here. Cross that bridge if it needs to be crossed. Just my 2 cents and has no cash value.

Back
Top Bottom