1962 BSA DBD34 Gold Star restoration (1000 miles and more)

Re: 1962 BSA DBD34 Gold Star restoration (SHE'S ALIVE!!!!.)

Ha, you do need to put this in an edited, full colour print coffee table book. I would totally have one in my house to pick up and read anytime I feel the need for inspiration on a project, and not just a MC one, your level off detail can be applied to get results on any worth while project. Congrats on the fire up and now comes a season of riding around on her and being mobbed at every stop by any bike guy or girl for sure.

Congratulations, Swan! As of late, the word epic has been hijacked by a bunch of beardless twits, but I can think of nothing that describes this build, your attention to detail and documentation better. I've followed it since page 22 and anxiously awaited each amazing installment. Although not young, I'm regretfully too young to have witnessed the era when auto races smelled like castor oil or the "roar and twitter" of the Goldstar could be heard along a stretch of country road. I long to hear that sound in a forthcoming video.

An epic feat, Swan. In the words of my old Alabama grandma, "You done yourself proud!"

applause.gif

So I started through your BSA thread, knowing an old neighbor of mine from where I grew up in California imported BSA's. Lo, and behold! I saw his name on the Dating Certificate you posted way back on page 1. I knew him as Mr. Alzina. He gave me a bunch of BSA notebooks. I don't think they had anything in them. I wore them out using them in junior high school. I vaguely recall he was the sole importer for awhile and then lost the rights.

Thanks all! A book ? Maybe... I will make a nice video (no ratty ill-light cell phone video) when I have ridden and shook her down for 500 miles and then can start to explore higher RPM's. I have access to a decent video camera and a Go-Pro camera, but please be patient for it is snowing here today. At some point in the near future I will make a website documenting this bike build, organized in a logical progression with loads of images and what to and not to do when build a Gold Star.

Keith, Hap Alzina is a LEGEND in the BSA and Indian motorcycle community and was the biggest distributer in the western US. My and countless other bikes went through his business. http://www.motorcyclemuseum.org/halloffame/detail.aspx?RacerID=9

Finished my friend Wes's 1972 BSA Lightning yesterday, it runs and sounds great and he is really happy with his new bike. GF is here til next weekend, so no shop time for me.

Had a spare hour while my GF was out with a friend the other day, so I went over to the shop for a sip and stare and ended up starting her up again. Wow, what a beast. I cannot wait to take her out for the first time. Hopefully the rain will stop and I can get out next week sometime.

swan said:
Had a spare hour while my GF was out with a friend the other day, so I went over to the shop for a sip and stare and ended up starting her up again. Wow, what a beast. I cannot wait to take her out for the first time. Hopefully the SNOW will stop and I can get out next week sometime.

Fixed it for you ^

Hey swan, beautiful bike! I read through this whole thread last night while it was slow at work. Not to be redundant, but Bravo, really spectacular work. I'm up at Dennis Kirk in Rush City, has the snow ever put a damper on things this year! Do you ever get to any shows or anything closer to the cities?

swan said:
Finished my friend Wes's 1972 BSA Lightning yesterday, it runs and sounds great and he is really happy with his new bike. GF is here til next weekend, so no shop time for me.
You do know I will be looking towards you for input when it comes time for my Spitfire this summer... right? ;)

MotorbikeBruno, you are right, it snowed again last night.

MotoBob, thanks. 63 pages, yikes, insomnia? I order many parts and tires from Dennis Kirk for my Hondas. I have never been to a bike show and have no desire to do so, I would rather ride.

HD, I know the A65 motor well, built and rode a 1966 BSA Lightning which I never should have sold. Let me know if you need help, part sources etc.

swan said:
MotorbikeBruno, you are right, it snowed again last night.

MotoBob, thanks. 63 pages, yikes, insomnia? I order many parts and tires from Dennis kirk for my Hondas. I have never been to a bike show and have desire to do so, I would rather ride.

HD, I know the A65 motor well, built and rode a 1966 BSA Lightning which I never should have sold. Let me know if you need help, part sources etc.

This is one of those times that I hated being right. Ugh. I'll have to ride down sometime and say hi this year. I heard there's some nice roads on the way down. (I'm in Circle Pines MN)

swan said:
MotoBob, thanks. 63 pages, yikes, insomnia? I order many parts and tires from Dennis kirk for my Hondas. I have never been to a bike show and have desire to do so, I would rather ride.

I tend to agree with you, but it's a great way to network and get ideas, ask questions. Much like an internet forum but in real life! A close friend of mine recently bought a lightning similar to yours but in need of some attention.

Just rode the Gold Star for the very FIRST TIME! Wow, wow, wow. Loud and powerful and hard to keep under 4000 rpm. Rear brake and clutch need adjusting, but sounded and rode great! Cannot wait for next week's nice weather and start shaking her down. Happiness!

swan said:
Just rode the Gold Star for the very FIRST TIME! Wow, wow, wow. Loud and powerful and hard to keep under 4000 rpm. Rear brake and clutch need adjusting, but sounded and rode great! Cannot wait for next week's nice weather and start shaking her down. Happiness!

Congrats!! Woohoo!!!!

I figured you might get that beast out for a ride today. Still cold out, but warm enough for a quick ride.

Congrats.

Congrats man! I'm actually feeling excited about your bike!

Yes! Congratulations, I bet you are still smiling! :)

Thanks all. Still smiling but it is still snowing... GF leaves today and I will be in the shop all week tweeking the Goldie and working on CB400F #5. The weather will be much warmer by the end of the week and I plan to ride the Goldie again. I guess this means I finally need to sand an polish my primary cover.

I hear that about the snow. I took the first real ride on my project 360 yesterday amid snow flurries and froze my ass off and froze a big smile on my face too!

Back
Top Bottom