Mufflers not tightening to exhaust

djsmiles

Been Around the Block
I've never worked with exhaust before so there may be a super simple answer here but the exhaust on my 75 CL360 is 1.5" outside diameter. The mufflers that I bought have an inside diameter of 1.5". When I slip the mufflers on they are very loose. I've broken 4 bolts tightening down the 1.5" clamp but they still won't tighten up to the exhaust.

Attachments

• exhaust.jpg
    exhaust.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 198
  • muffler.jpg
    muffler.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 189
You will need to cut a slit in the muffler end
https://images.app.goo.gl/KyQPXDz6vomfZYpcA
and/or use a reducer adapter
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Set-of-2-Exhaust-Pipe-Muffler-Adapter-Reducer-Sleeve-Adapters-1-5-1-5-8/172515770786?hash=item282abdc1a2:g:KNgAAOSw4DJYll8A&frcectupt=true

Two slits even better. Not too long! Don't cut them so long ghat they extend past the end of the pipe you are clamping to. Only about one diameter.

You can also buy a muffler repair kit from an auto parts store and use a thin strip or two to wrap around the pipe to make the muffler fit snugly.

carnivorous chicken said:
You can also buy a muffler repair kit from an auto parts store and use a thin strip or two to wrap around the pipe to make the muffler fit snugly.

dirtbag version - strips of beer can....first drink beer, cut strip of appropriate size from empty can, try for fit, if not enough, drink another beer, cut another strip from empty can, try for fit etc. some may say you could just cut several strips from one can but wheres the fun in that
soft drink/soda cans will not work cos they're not beer cans

irk miller said:
Spotty is clearly a genius, and knows exactly how to do this.

finally i'm recognised for what i really am, and i thought my avatar picture said it all

spotty said:
dirtbag version - strips of beer can....first drink beer, cut strip of appropriate size from empty can, try for fit, if not enough, drink another beer, cut another strip from empty can, try for fit etc. some may say you could just cut several strips from one can but wheres the fun in that

I can also vouch for this method working on a 1970 Dodge Dart.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I wrote Dime City where I got the mufflers who said they are made of steel and do not compress. So how do they normally tighten onto the exhaust? Or do they all need to be cut? Seems strange.
I'll try the can shim trick before cutting them but if all else fails...

spotty said:

Just to confirm, do you drink or cut first, I always get this part mixed up?

I was able to tighten them down using shims from scrap metal, thanks

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

trek97 said:
Maybe flip the muffler around and check other end for the relief cuts. ;D

Now that there's funny.

Any muffler that's meant to clamp down but doesn't have slots in the outer tube is built wrong. Seriously. It's riduculous to think you can get a good seal with a band clamp and two tubes with no cuts.

Back
Top Bottom