Cops: theyre cool as hell

cervin

Been Around the Block
Alright so alot of people dont like Cops... I guess alot of people get the douchebag cops, but to be honest I never had problem with them.

I'm posting this because like 20 mins ago, I was riding around my block to test my cam chain problems and I guess someone called the cops with all the noise (lol) They set up a roadblock and I see them, I pull over next to them, turn the bike off, and walk to them.

First of all, I have no plate for the bike because I haven't been able to transfer the title over to my name and state.
Second, I'm in the process of changing the bars and cosmetics, so I was basically running with no turn signals, no side mirrors

So I walk next to them, and he says "you should probably go home"
I'm like "Yea, Im on my way now. Just troubleshooting the bike for problems"
Then he's like "No plate? Yea, you should really go home"

And I start the bike and drive away.
That was that! No tickets, he didnt even check my license....

Anyways, TL;DR Cops are pretty cool guys

P.S. This isnt my first time getting pulled over and not getting ticketed, just giving them a good attitude

People might have different opinions :p But let's hear your cool / bad cop story

I have had a similar experience, and up until that day, I was on the other side of this coin.
I was out "troubleshooting" a bike, and like you, had not transferred title to my name yet, but because I did not want to get pulled over, I slapped another plate from a past bike...Well, I got pulled over because a cop pulled up behind me and ran the plate just in case, and it came up Yamaha (I was on a Honda). He made me sweat for a bit, and told me to ride home, park it, and get it registered!

Cool as Hell!

I lost my wallet on the highway (zip up your jacket pocket, Fix!) and when I was riding around trying to find it two different cops pulled over to see if I needed help. Pretty cool.

Never did find my wallet, though.

I have two large white dogs.. And got pulled over by an African American cop in Rockwall, TX (I was doing 10 over through a construction zone). He walks up to the side.. I roll down the window, and the dogs stick their head up front. He puts a hand up as kind of a half-salute and he says, "Have a good night," and goes back to his car.

Now I ain't no racist.. And i certainly didn't raise my dogs to be. But that day, I was glad that that one particular stereotype proved true for this particular individual. He was a pretty cool cop.

I was out one day on the DS7, riding around in City Park taking pics. I went 3/4 through a small traffic circle (roundabout) to get to one of the shots, and decided to have some fun on the way back. I ended up doing six or seven loops, dragging the peg through four or five of them. Speeding the entire time (25mph+/- in a 15mph zone). When I had enough fun, and after exiting the circle, I noticed a cop easing up behind me with his lights on. So I head for the side, shut her down, and take off the helmet. Cop walks up grinning from ear to ear, saying "Man that thing is cool as Hell! What is it?"
Turns out he was a rider as well, and has an R1. We talked for about 30 minutes about old bikes, new bikes, riding, crashing, etc. He pulled me over just to check out the bike.

Almost all of the cops I've encountered were/are just guys doing a job. If you're straight with them, they'll be straight back.
And the ones that are on a powertrip? It pays to keep your responses to Yes Sir/No Sir. I was being my usual joking self and actually talked myself into a Wreckless Operation ticket from a Failure to Maintain Control.

Nice. When I was out fiddling with my CB500, I didn't have anywhere to mount the tag. I wear an old army surplus courier bag and I just safety pinned my tag to the bag (since it's across my back anyway). I had to run errands downtown and parked in the MC parking spaces. I forgot change so I couldn't pay. I met some friends for coffee across the street and watched as the meter maid came down the street, stopped to ticket my bike but couldn't find a tag. She stomped around for a little while and stormed off, making a phone call. As soon as she turned the corner I made a run for my bike, hopped on and bolted home before backup arrived. 8)

Best cool Cop story I got is from '81. Four of us were on our way home from an Ozzy concert. In total we had the remains of 8 bottles of cheap wine and a QP of pot a new oz. for each of us. The "back route" we chose to go home took us trhough a small neighboring town at midnight.
My buddy who was driving looked down to fuck with his stereo and blew threw a stop sign. We yelled at him and slapped the back of his head. He locks up the brakes, does a bootleg turn, and floors it to blow the stop sign again going the opposite way!
Mean while there was a cop sitting there who saw the whole thing.
He pulls us over, checks ID, tells me I am the only one who's 18 (other 3 were 17) so I am going to jail. said he had just go off duty and was going to overlook the first time, but after seeing it the second time we pissed him off. He made me dump the remains of the wine down the gutter and when I stagged back he says "Get in the Car". I reached for his back door handle and he says "Not mine, get in with your friends"!
He let us off with my buddy getting a WARNING for disreguarding a stop!!!

I drive a pretty beat-up old 1965 Pontiac year-round. It's a very obnoxious car and I love it to death. I beat on it perhaps just a bit too much, but over the years, this has allowed me to weed out inferior parts and slowly build an engine up to my exacting specifications, replacing one part or set of parts at a time as they fail in a spectacular fashion, generally at the worst possible time.

The "best" that I can think of, waswhen my timing chain randomly broke going down a busy hill one morning.

This is the first cool cop story related to this particular incident.

I was in a little bit of a panic, so I rolled the now dead car into the median and hit the brakes. It took about thirty seconds for a cop to roll in behind me and start directing traffic around me. A second came up and asked if I was alright. Long and the short, I was having a rotten day. These guys made it a little easier by creating a little protective barricade directly behind me while I rolled the thing down the hill, helped me push this monstrosity *up* the next hill and into a church parking lot (as one said, It'll be safer up there than sitting next to the seedy Phillips 66 station) and then when it turned out that my cell phone was dead, one lent me his personal cell and sat around to make sure I got picked up safely, chatting the whole time about old car problems.

Now, this was a week or so before THanksgiving and I work in retail, we'll get to that in a moment.

At this point, I needed a car for BLack Friday because I was expected to open the department at 4AM. Could be worse, but not by much.
THe only loaner my family had at the time (we have too many cars and too few bikes) was a built 1978 Trans Am with an obnoxiously heavy racing clutch and a 4-speed that had a bad second-gear synchro.
I should mention as well that I was also a virgin to manual transmissions in cars. In a bike, it's one thing. In a car, it's a slightly different thing. In a stupidly touchy car like *this*, it's entirely another thing.
So by the time we came to this conclusion, the other proposed option being to fix my Tempest before then (which was simply not possible) I had about 18 hours to learn how to drive a manual.

It worked. But not without a few flaws.

With as heavy and grabby as the clutch in this thing was, and the light flywheel in there, I had to start *very* aggressively if I wanted to get moving without pissing off the melee going on all around me in the streets, given it was the busiest shopping day of the year.
I got pulled over for a really hard start coming down one of the little bypass back-roads I like to use, and stalled the thing pretty predictably trying to stop.

"Morning, Sir. YOu look like you're in a hurry, you mind telling me what's for sale that could be worth cracking this Firebird up, or getting yourself hurt?"
"Sir, I'm really sorry, you probably won't believe me, but I blew the engine in my own car, and this was the only thing my family had to let me drive, and I had to beg to get my dad to let me use it... THis is only my second time ever driving a manual, and it's got a really, really heavy clutch and my dad built the engine for--"
At this point I think he noticed the ID badge on my shirt and the apron next to me on the seat.
"So when I run your plate, it's going to come up under your father's name, right?"
"Yes, Sir."
"Alright. Can I see your license and proof of insurance?"
I hand both over, he performs the usual check.
"Everything checks out fine. I'd normally let you go, but if I had to guess you're probably running late. DO you want me to write you an equipment violation warning so you have something to show to your boss?"

Probably the coolest cop ever.

On the way home I attempted to stop at a gas station. It worked pretty well.
I was very frazzled, so I filled the tank and went to buy some cigars, with the intent of smoking the whole pack when I got home. Yes, Black Friday is *that* bad.
A police car followed me into the gas station, parked right behind me at the pump.

Now, for the record, my family likes noisy cars. Except for my sister, she doesn't care what it is as long as it's pretentious and expensive.
THis one was no exception. Straight pipes with baffled inserts between the headers and the pipe.
So I get out of the car, and the officer behind me gets out too. In retrospect, I should have known I wasn't in trouble; they always freak out when you get out of your car when you're in trouble. :D
"Sir, what year is that?"
"Uh... '78. Why?"
"It sounds a little loud."
Oh, great.
"Yeah, it doesn't get driven much."
"That's a shame, it's pretty cool."
At this point he starts chatting me up about the thing. And then just when I think I'm *completely* off the hook...
"Oh, by the way... It sounds nice, but it's probably a little loud. You might wanna get that checked out before you get in trouble. Happy holiday, Sir."

But, I suppose if it's their job to ruin our fun, these fine gentlemen were doing a remarkably poor job. :D

I got pulled this morning for cutting through a parking lot to avoid train traffic.

I always get out of tickets, i think its because im just so friendly to the cops. I realize they are just doing their job and so i treat them like a friend.
"Yeah sure heres my id, yeah i know its illegal but the damn train takes forever (smile), nope I dont have my registration with me, I will make certain to find it before you pull me over again next time (smile) "
Works almost every time.
My last one was "Son did you see the no right on red sign?"
"yes sir I did, i just didnt want to wait to be honest"
he chuckled and gave me a warning.

I like cops.

THey're usually very cool if you're respectful and courteous and admit to being wrong.
Most of them realize that incomveniencing you by pulling you over is enough to deter most drivers these days.

Me and my buddy stopped to grab a coffee.....cop walks over and checks out our bikes, then walks over to us.
Cop: "I love the feeling of warm vagina on my back when I ride...ride safe".
Me: Speechless

slowmike said:
Me and my buddy stopped to grab a coffee.....cop walks over and checks out our bikes, then walks over to us.
Cop: "I love the feeling of warm vagina on my back when I ride...ride safe".
Me: Speechless

Nice!...This reminds me of that older thread where the guy did not want his girlfriend/wife riding on the back of a coworkers bike...sums it up nice.

got pulled over yesterday for weaving they let me go and tried to chase down my other friends on a moped and scooter....lol

Sort of related:

My friend and I were coming back from a gun range (read, An empty field near his house). We had been breaking in some new rifles.

We get pulled over for speeding slightly (Its a tiny rural town near Houston, with a population less then 3000, sue us) He looks in the back and sees the rifles.

Cop: "Awesome, Is that a Mosin Nagant?"
Me: Sort of surprised "Why, Yes it is. Its pretty new, we were just shooting a bit and are heading home"
Cop: "Can I shoot it?"
Me: "Uh, Hell yes."
Let me interrupt here to say I had dated this officer's daughter years prior.

Cop: "Cool, let me go get my squad car's m4. You guys can fuck around with that."
Me: "Awesome" Come to find out, it actually had a happy switch (fully automatic). Flipped that to fully auto and sprayed a tight group into the ditch
Cop: "Fuck yes, Dont you just love auto?"

We spent the next hour or so shooting the ditch and shooting the shit. No ticket issued. Tons of rounds shot.

Unfortunately, He was killed six months or so later while on duty by a drunk driver who swerved into his lane. Which fucking sucks. :-\

Other than that, all the cops I have dealt with as of late have been guys who just obviously got back from Iraq (Im a veteran myself) and are on a massive power trip. It is South Texas, so what can you expect.

My little brother had a similar experience while shooting in one of the cornfields around here.

Someone I guess had freaked, due to the impressive fireball an M44 Nagant puts out. THe result is that the cops were called.

THe squad car shows up, and as my brother retells it, the officer checked FOID cards, and then became interested in my M44, which I'd lent my brother, along with a quantity of high-pressure bullets designed for use in belt-fed machineguns. Very fun to shoot.
He asked what it was, my brother told him that it was a 120-year-old design made in Russia, then offered to let the officer try it. The cop was reported to have become rather excited, then immediately received an emergency call that my brother, in law enforcement classes at the time, deciphered to mean an armed robbery had taken place.

We found out later that one of the drug-addled highschoolers from our district had attempted to rob the Fifth Third in town with an unloaded pistol.

Poor cop, wish he could have had some fun before diving into that mess.

ProSimex said:
All cops are scum, NO EXCEPTIONS! I have never once had a good experiance with them.

You know we have forum members who are officers, who do some amazing work and contribute great things to this forum. What a fucking ignorant thing to say.

While I'm in rant mode, what a joke of a thread. "Cops: they're cool as hell" Like it's assumed that they're supposed to be douche bags? They're just people like you and me, doing their job. And if it involves arresting or fining you, you probably damn well earned it.

Look, I dont want to get into an argument here, and perhaps my comment was slightly overboard, but..

I am a hard working, tax paying, law abiding citizen. I dont break the law, and I dont go around starting trouble. The cops here in Ottawa are quite simply fucked. They have a habit of making life miserable for people. I've had friends taken in with no charges and beaten merclessly overnight before being thrown out the next morning.

Maby there are good cops out there, I havn't ment them.

"And if it involves arresting or fining you, you probably damn well earned it."

Thats a fucking ignorant thing to say. Anyways like I said I dont want to get into a pissing match. Ill go back to drooling over bikes and planning work on my own projects, thats what this forum is for. If anyone was offended by my comments then fine, I'm happy you get along well with law enforcment in your area, we sure dont here.

Back
Top Bottom