CJ360 Build (my first)

Nowadays I just spray some WD40 down ports and look for 'creep' at valve heads

Thanks again guys; I'm learning as I go here. ...I will check the valves with alcohol and see if there is any leakage. Probably a stupid question, but it is necessary to replace the rings when putting this thing back together?

ZenMoto said:
Thanks again guys; I'm learning as I go here. ...I will check the valves with alcohol and see if there is any leakage. Probably a stupid question, but it is necessary to replace the rings when putting this thing back together?

if you're honing the cylinder I would replace them.

Just remove top ring from piston and check end gap. If it's within a few thou of max change them, if towards 'tight' side don't bother.
Honda never gave a 'free end gap' but should be around 9~10mm it's an indication of how much tension is on rings when in cylinder
Do the check after de-glazing bores

Well, good news on the valves, I tested them with alcohol and had absolutely no leakage at all. ...OTOH, being a clumsy oaf I broke one of my rings trying to remove them. Man, I was barely spreading it enough to get it out of the groove when it snapped. If there's a trick to doing it, I don't know it! lol

What do you guys recommend for removing all the carbon build up on the piston, valves, and combustion chamber?

I soaked pistons in Carb-medic for a couple days, and used a plastic brush to clean ring grooves.
You could flip head (valves still installed and fill them w Carb-medic also.
Then pull the valves and wire wheel them clean.

Why do you think the tensioner needs replaced? If your engine # has two punch marks above and below the dash in the number, the factory fix has already been done.

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

Or, since the engine is already open look at the one you have and make sure it's the updated tensioner.

irk miller said:
Or, since the engine is already open look at the one you have and make sure it's the updated tensioner.

That assumption is based on the beating the case has taken from the cam chain:

i-2HzvVqV-XL.jpg

i-8QFwtj7-XL.jpg

Maybe that's normal? ...my first time in one of these engines.

Is this the engine number you're referring to? If so, there are no dots.

i-sn7v9gG-XL.jpg

And this is the tensioner I pulled out:

i-kcPxFxP-XL.jpg

I'm not sure the difference between that and the updated one (time for more net research). lol

Thanks again for all the advice guys. ...which reminds me, what is the trick with the neutral safety switch wire? I couldn't, for the life of me, figure out how to disconnect it and it eventually just snapped off at the post while I was fooling with it. Seems to be some kind of a spring, so I thought maybe it was just pinched in, or wound around the spring ...or something bizarre like that! :-[

IIRC, the CJ models all had the new cam chain tensioner. A bit of wear on the inside of the cases in normal to see, but I'm not certain the engineers intended it that way. Just make sure you keep things adjusted properly. Take care of the adjustment every time you change the oil (along with valve clearances and ignition timing) and you'll be good.

The tensioners have a spec in the manual, I think. Most folks get 10,000 - 15,000 miles from a set.

The opening on the curls at the ends of the recall tensioner faced forward where yours faces backwards, and the rubber had a shallower profile.

Yep, ALL CJ's had the 'new' tensioner.
That wear isn't normal, it's caused by bike never being serviced (probably missed the first one and just got oil change - maybe?)
You may need to split cases to un-stick tensioner 'horseshoe' severely loose chain damages the pivot so it can't move. I have pics of damaged one somewhere in 'Build to Blog' thread. I used a Firefox add on which was working a few days ago

Thanks again PJ, I’m planning to do a full tear down anyway, so I’ll make sure everything is good to go. Reading up on it, I’ll bet you’re right, the tensioner is probably fine, but has likely never been adjusted.

I have this issue with my CB400f popped on a new Cam chain but the horseshoe is stuck.. she runs lovely but I will have to split the cases to sort this once it starts to stretch. I'll only do 500 - 1000 miles in a year so it will be ok for a bit I hope.

I checked my CB360's Build to Blog thread, some of the pictures still don't work and some I downloaded then deleted. Photobucket can GFT

trek97 said:
Haha yes, In bed by 9 and up early...Its what old people do. :p

STFU, your younger than me

Here is the link for the cam chain tensioner recall Service Bulletin for your reference.
http://www.hondatwins.net/forums/47-manuals-technical-documents/4382-360-bulletins-re-posted.html

Thanks again guys. Not much to update as it was a crazy busy weekend. ...but I did get to work on stripping the CB360 tank I had picked up. Turns out, what looked like two different coats of blue turned out to be two different coats of blue, over a silver (which I though upon early paint stripping was the base metal) ...over what can only be described as a body filler "dip" ...over the expected bondo to fill in the areas where the logo mounting would be, ...over the original teal-blue color.

Anyway, I should have taken a later photo where I got the tank mostly down to just the "skim" coat of body filler but I failed to take the photo as my arms were shot from scraping, and sanding (seriously, it was like 1/8" thick with this white body filler).

Eventually I gave up and took the damn think to a local media blasting & powder coating shop, and should have it back later today to see what damage was being covered up. ...fingers crossed it's salvageable. :eek:

i-HBQMxn2-X2.jpg

Back
Top Bottom