1987 XR200R. red dirt redemption

Aussie Steve said:
Cxman, educate the ignorant. What do you mean by knurl the pistons? Thanks

Sent from my SM-A530F using Tapatalk

I'm not going to attempt to explain it myself, but here's a good article to explain it. Most of the time, guys do it to extend the life out of their piston/bore. I always though it was more of an old school thing, but I think guys still do it today. My old man did it to one of our VW drag cars when I was a teen, which got us maybe a dozen more race weekends out of the motor before we tore it down.

https://www.enginebuildermag.com/2017/09/lost-art-knurling-pistons-takes-skill-guts/

we do it a lot in race and nitrous engines the knurling holds oil
is forgiving in rapid expansion from heat yet holds dimensions well

yup can do a peripheral band or 2 opposing side skirt areas is more preferred

its perfect for a a situation like you have where its a little sloppy and you are going to use it hard

most machine shops will sell you new stuff quicker than a bit of skull work and a small labour charge

im getting to be the old guy i have been doing this since i was a kid lol this sucks

ive even seen queen live in 1980

Ephraim had told me to knurl it a while back, but since 97% of what we say to each other is shrouded in sarcasm and other shenanigans, I just thought he was full of crap. haha

nope you should have listened

oh well the faint piston slap will remind you

irk miller said:
I'm not going to attempt to explain it myself, but here's a good article to explain it. Most of the time, guys do it to extend the life out of their piston/bore. I always though it was more of an old school thing, but I think guys still do it today. My old man did it to one of our VW drag cars when I was a teen, which got us maybe a dozen more race weekends out of the motor before we tore it down.

https://www.enginebuildermag.com/2017/09/lost-art-knurling-pistons-takes-skill-guts/
Thank you.

Sent from my SM-A530F using Tapatalk

cxman said:
nope you should have listened

oh well the faint piston slap will remind you

ill just leave the cam chain loose so I don't hear the piston slap ha

as with most hondas that will work

as long as the chain does not turn into a endless casing mill

Or jumps two teeth, bends a valve and gets bought by some chump in Georgia.

hey there is a guy in north carolina looking for a little one like that if teeth are jumping

Hurco550 said:
Ephraim had told me to knurl it a while back, but since 97% of what we say to each other is shrouded in sarcasm and other shenanigans, I just thought he was full of crap. haha

I am definitely full of sarcastic crap. Anyone taking me seriously should themselves probably not be taken seriously :)

I pawned Lenny off on my mom today which gave me a couple hours of uninterrupted work in the garage. It was a nice bit of therapy. Staying home all day with an infant while my wife is at work and then working second shift is a challenging yet very rewarding Prospect. It does not however leave a lot of time for working on motorcycles LOL I digress.

I spent the day basically working on the air box. It seems a very simple piece of kit but this one has seen better days. I didn't take a before picture but it was caked both inside and out with a thick layer of mud. I am guessing that it was run for a certain amount of time without the side cover on it which doubles as the air box access. What I found underneath the mud were a few unsavory bits, namely a couple stripped or missing brass bolt lugs. One of them I was able to clean up enough with a tap that I think it will work and the missing one I replaced with a 3/8 16 insert that had a 6 mm internal thread. It matched the hole left by the missing knurled insert perfectly, and I added a few drops of super glue gel for good measure. I also installed a new seal for the door. I applied RTV silicone on the flange where are the rubber boot mates the airbox. One thing that I learned from mr. E's meatwad XR 200 is that with a properly sealed air box these things are a little submarines. The rest of the bike may look ratty but I am trying to spend my time where it counts to make this thing as Dependable as possible.

Also I crossed the line into race bike territory with these fancy Billet aluminum timing access plugs. Honda designs most things pretty well but the stupid curved bottom Flathead slots are not one of those Fine Designs LOL
0e8408cf640d3ea9b7e9b09cc93efb82.jpg
474c8d6a631e24300328c3f52f24ac2c.jpg
9c107571721c0cad0d7bf2b975c0d7be.jpg
59bd68078b2793b07140bdf650e99158.jpg
8c433834439a70245e12e8294cd898d0.jpg
de8547661b7c1d9d6593d0efb3414ac2.jpg
0785fe2da0bb10e3ab71d6528df0c50a.jpg
5cb03ce641a07643a41c5802361d1dbd.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Motor is back in.

List of 578 little petty things that need fixed made.

Sketchy hot lap tentatively planned for this weekend.
12f9ee401995bc8f2eae9d4f03c9dffd.jpg

How can I change this cam chain tensioner without pulling the motor again?

irk miller said:
How can I change this cam chain tensioner without pulling the motor again?
ratchet straps, chewing gum, bailing twine and dapper dan polmade.

Little more time spent today trying to fix a bunch of little issues left by 32 years worth of p.o. hackery. Many threaded fasteners have at one point or another been replaced with the wrong pitch bolt or in several cases even wood screws. One such case is the tank mount. Both sides were stripped of their threads and the bosses weren't big enough to accept a time sert, so I drilled a clearance hole clear through the frame to accept a bolt (er all thread) running clear through. Also spent the better part of a couple hours un doing lots of electric tape/ speaker wire/write nut/general-shoddyness in the electrical system and fixing it the best I'm able. No pics of before, though it was glorious in its own right. I've got spark and a kill switch though, so that's good. Hitting up the local wrecker tomorrow for some throttle bits as this one is beyond repair. I have high hopes of hot laps here really soon.
9c327e434c9412a24cb9139cde81593d.jpg
eb6f2b1c73a402d884c79d6c6c57648a.jpg
a01067418e8fa8dc6a60ccb6a1d2920d.jpg

Hm. Now I definitely have to pull mine out of the barn. I don't remember it having a rectifier.

Spent the day trying to wrap up some odds and ends. Had to do a bit of custom (er hackery) work to make a second - hand throttle cable work with the Chinese carb. I got the other "big" parts all put together. The ticking in the video is an out of adjustment auto decomp. Hopefully I'll sort that tomorrow, and the carb is likely way outta adjustment.

https://youtu.be/1nKJlPzUU1g

Back
Top Bottom