2013 honda concept. 76 550 with cbr600 f4

Respect for doing this outside. How about splitting the rad capacity requirement into two and running one each side of the front downtubes. Moto X bikes run smaller rads that are probably designed to be more efficient than the bloody great things put on road bikes and may be a source of rads, fans and mountings.

Busy day today !
We got the mounts completed. tacked em up really good and will finish weld soon.
Made sure we could drop the engine for repairs easily and we only have to remove 8 bolts and 2 mounts to do so.
put the engine back in and started masking off for the fiberglass gas tank. hope the caswells liner works out.

now for the pics...

engine out...

1221111344.jpg

1221111345a.jpg

masking for the tank bottom

1221111615c.jpg

1221111615b.jpg

1221111615a.jpg

Just put down the first layer today, nothin else.
I will have to wait till it dries in this cold weather to see if it will slide on and off smoothly or if I will have to tweak it before layin it on thick.

Soon as the tank is done will start strengthening the frame and then on to wiring. I can feel it coming to life now. A whole lot more than when I cut the bike to pieces for sure lol.

1223111256.jpg

Caswell's good stuff, man. You won't be disappointed. Just be sure to use an epoxy resin; in the event you miss a spot with the liner, polyester resin wont last long against ethanol.

Not much done. I bought some 3 dollar foam in a can(s) lettin it dry overnight then gonna form it and start layin more glass...

DSCN0872.jpg

DSCN0873.jpg

DSCN0874.jpg

I must say... I've seen lots of guys upgrade their old bikes with modern suspensions, or swap out vintage engines into modern chassis; mostly because a lot of the older bikes couldn't handle the power put out by their engines (Especially the big ones, like Kawi H2's and such...) But I think this is the first time I've ever seen anyone put a more powerful engine into an older chassis.

Terrifying does come to mind, but if you can get that bike to handle the power, it'll be quite something!
I know you're just getting started, but I can't wait to see where this one ends up!

follow up....here are a few pics I took today of the tank being able to come apart from the bike and that the foam will seperate from the bottom because of the tape. I will be shaping it 2morrow. YAY.

also gonna start a go cart project with my nephews using the cb550 engine really soon.

0101121340.jpg

0101121340a.jpg

well I shaped it like I like it today. I expect upwards of 3.5 gallons..
I am trying to fiberglass it in sections so I can just mirror it for the other side. It looks large but I like that very much. it just looks right when I sit on it and it has the fuel capacity.
Cant wait to use the caswells on it.

DSCN0882.jpg

DSCN0883.jpg

DSCN0884.jpg

DSCN0885.jpg

bringin sexy back lol...gonna go so fast I dont even need a front end...

DSCN0881.jpg

made the copy layers today and gonna start putting it together and trying to finish the form 2morrow.

Thanks to the fine engineering on this poor yamaha tank I have some perfect humps for the front of my tank. most of my pieces are ready to put together and I am waiting on a few more to dry so I can overlay the entire tank..YAY!!!

DSCN0887.jpg

DSCN0886.jpg

DSCN0889.jpg

DSCN0888.jpg

gonna take a small break. I bought an 81 yamaha seca 750 basket case. got it running today and gonna make it legal over the next two days. I have the gas tank on the honda almost done. I need to sell some stuff to recoup some of my expenses lol. gonna make a new post on the seca.

Back
Top Bottom