Made in USA? How many countries are US now?

And, my GoldWing was built in Ohio - about 50 miles from where I was built. 105k miles and the only need for dealer service was a speed sensor replacement under warranty and a recall. Until I wrecked it. Due back this coming week. Couldn't let them total a bike I had finally broken in. The new ones are built in Japan. Same basic bike under the Tupperware.

Two wheels - USA, Japanese, British, German, Italian, Russian - still two wheels. Quality is a product of the company management and culture.

And let's not forget that Harley doesn't build performance oriented bikes. That's not what their buyers want. They build comfortable cruisers with loud motors. At that I would say they succeed. It's not what I want to ride, but they're not building bikes for me. I remain indifferent to Harley Davidson.

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

The Harley is a 2012 Harley Sportster 1200cc "72", based on the popular styling of the early 70's. It's been fairly reliable,8k miles, one battery failure followed by a bad charging regulator, no sparky, no barky. It's not a bike you take across country with a range of 85 miles, unless you carry extra fuel. The spoke wheels require tubes, so a quick tire plug kit will be useless. It is oil tight, the primary roller chain likes to rattle around if you don't pay attention to it. It's basicly a time machine that reminds me of the 73 Triumph Tiger.

Attachments

• IMG_0366.JPG
    IMG_0366.JPG
    959.5 KB · Views: 212
:)Here's a great advantage a raked front end and 21" tire have. You can smack a chunk of truck tire, wheel slams hard right, as soon as the wheel touches pavement, it straightens instantly back! A sportbike would tend to roll under, lying you sliding down the road.

Attachments

• IMG_0380.JPG
    IMG_0380.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 203
  • IMG_0379.JPG
    IMG_0379.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 201
I hired a Harley once, out of Las Vegas. It was one of the most uncomfortable and awful bikes I've ever ridden.

Having said that I still have a pair of Timberland boots that have made in America on the sole, I bought them in 2005 and I wear them every year for 6 months of the year and they are still going strong. Oddly I have a more recent pair, which I haven't worn yet, and they are made in Vietnam!!

As for the whole Made in the USA thing, I get that, I prefer to buy made in UK, however we sold our companies ages ago and have no real manufacturing anymore. Personally I think US vehicles are not as good as Japanese or European vehicles. Although my tools are predominantly Snap On, as nothing else comes close.

Deviant1 said:
And let's not forget that Harley doesn't build performance oriented bikes. That's not what their buyers want. They build comfortable cruisers with loud motors. At that I would say they succeed. It's not what I want to ride, but they're not building bikes for me. I remain indifferent to Harley Davidson.

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

Go sit on a Thunderbird LT. 100x more comfortable than any Harley. Seriously.

Scooter trash said:
The Harley is a 2012 Harley Sportster 1200cc "72", based on the popular styling of the early 70's. It's been fairly reliable,8k miles, one battery failure followed by a bad charging regulator, no sparky, no barky. It's not a bike you take across country with a range of 85 miles, unless you carry extra fuel. The spoke wheels require tubes, so a quick tire plug kit will be useless. It is oil tight, the primary roller chain likes to rattle around if you don't pay attention to it. It's basicly a time machine that reminds me of the 73 Triumph Tiger.

Plagued by stator and battery issues. So was my buell.

pidjones said:
And, my GoldWing was built in Ohio - about 50 miles from where I was built.
Good old Marysville Ohio. Few miles north of me. Thats where my shadow ace was built. I'd always "remind" the Harley guys of that when we were ribbing each other, but always in good fun, at least the guys I was around.

37.4 % of Harley Davidson motorcycles are sold outside of the USA. Most of Harley Davidsons profit is from merchandising of products manufactured outside the USA. The Toyota Tundra is made in San Antonio, Tx. The Chevy Silverado is made in Mexico, the Ford F150 is now being made in Mexico. None of the top 7 cars or trucks made in the USA are Fords.
Top 7 made in the USA:

1. Toyota Camry

2. Toyota Sienna

3. Chevrolet Traverse

4. Honda Odyssey

5. GMC Acadia

6. Buick Enclave

7. Chevrolet Corvette

A vehicle must have at least 75% of it's parts manufactured in the USA to be considered Made In The USA.

Gad Zoots!! 01marc, that's why I can't find made is USA anywhere on the Sportster, only "Manufactured by Harley Davidson". Could it be only the tires are made in USA?

Back
Top Bottom