Bike for an amputee

john83

Over 1,000 Posts
So I have a friend who lost an arm just above the elbow a few years ago. He contacted me the other day about modifying a motorcycle so he can ride again. Right now he plans on moving the throttle to the left and using one hand for the throttle and clutch then making some kind of linked brake system actuated by a pedal. Anyone got other/better ideas?

I saw a snippet on TV a few weeks ago about a guy who lost his hand/arm and was racing. He had a special prosthesis with a ball on the end and a socket on the handle bar. I don't know how he had the throttle and clutch setup. I will see if I can find that. Maybe the guy has some info available on his setup.

end of line

Cool! That may be helpful. I know my buddy has a prosthesis he uses to ride bicycles so that is probably something he can roll into motorcycles.

Back in the early sixties Tom Kirby's [ Tom Kirby Racing ] chief mechanic had only one arm and rode a modified Ariel Arrow.

Too far back in my memory banks to recalll exactly how .......but I guess where there's a will etc......... NO electronic doo dads in those days either. 8)

Best wishes to your pal to get back riding.

Building a twin res (side by side donor?) master and proportioning valve for the brakes could be done very easily, and adjustable valve to dial in the balance would make for a nice brake feel, maybe if possible to add anti lock or start with it would be good also. For the left side throttle and still have the clutch possibly a thumb throttle like an ATV would be the trick.

Love this stuff, read up on David Baily for inspiration... The guys a past supper star racer and still a master of the dirt:

bailey_retro.jpg

I seen videos of a amputee racing in amateur flat track. he had a device like this;

http://www.disabledmotorcyclerider.com/Prosthetichand.html

another way to set it up would be have the throttle on the left, with a atv thumb throttle hooked up to the clutch. Then use a clutch master cylinder for the front brake. I would want the brakes separate from each other because there are times you don't want to use both, or at the same level of engagement.

maybe look into an electric shifter as well

http://www.pingelonline.com/prodcat/electric-speed-shifters.asp

There's always the Hondamatics, 400cc, 450cc, and 750cc. I'm a firm believer that anyone can do what they set their mind to, including riding a regular bike as an amputee, but an automatic might be an easy intermediate step. I wish him the best of luck!

I was thinking of this thing. I saw it in "on any Sunday, the next chapter".

www.mertshands.org

end of line

The guy I was think of is Jake McCullough, with a write up about him under the "Hands in Use" section of the site.

end of line

Thanks for the replies and info fellas. I'll pass it along to my buddy and hopefully it gives him some ideas. He's a pretty independent type guy and likes to do things himself.

I have no personal knowledge but I have a friend with one leg who is a professional prosthetics guy, a motorcyclist, and a paralympic skiier. He can probably advise. PM me your preferred contact.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Hi there mate, a few racers here down under use a 'clake' - a combined clutch and brake setup. Each is actuated by an individual lever, but are set up so they can be accessed simultaneously with the left hand. This is mainly for riders with injured feet and minimal movement in their ankle, but could be adapted for riders with no right hand as well.

Check this guy out, he races near me on a modified Kawasaki 400:

http://blog.motorcycle.com/2012/10/11/videos/lef-side-story-a-double-amputee-keeps-his-racing-dreams-alive-video/

DOuble amputee racer... whats our excuse??

- boingk

Back
Top Bottom