Bonneville update and refresh

irk miller said:
The EPA banned methylene chloride, which is what is in the good strippers that we need to remove this stuff, plus tank liners and such. The ban went into full effect last March and gave until August for the market to clear of it. Places like Home Depot and Lowe's cleared their shelfs of it last winter, in anticipation of the ban. I searched all over town last spring for any remaining cans of stripper that had it. Found one at Home Depot, went to the register to pay and alarms went off like I stole something. They pulled the can and wouldn't let me buy it. Oh well. I hope someone comes up with a comparable alternative, though right now there really isn't one.

I found a bunch at Ace Hardware under the Zip-Strip brand.

3DogNate said:
I found a bunch at Ace Hardware under the Zip-Strip brand.
If it has methylene chloride then buy it all up, because it's not going to have it anymore. That's the last of it. Recochem reformulated Zip Strip without methylene chloride.

3DogNate said:
And that’s why I’m redoing the powder coat on these covers. BLING!
85dcd49f871038afe8660c81bbf45e4c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sweet!

Sent from my SM-A530F using Tapatalk

Got the logo stencils made up on the plotter. Gold base on the tank and stencils applied. Now off to spray the green base coat.
6b27dc081d2aff5e466d71c1dc303a25.jpg

7cd80c974038ddfc18f2653f3894786f.jpg

9703b89a606df217518d5b3b1fff1b2b.jpg

Green base on. heading into clear coats...

66e1f989f127c35d24338295264c4762.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And a shot of clear coat... awesome day for hillbilly paint work in the back yard. My neighbors love this shit. LOL!

f9b6cd134a511e64640ca988ff0f4923.jpg

Here’s the shiny valve cover mounted back on the engine... gonna look great with the gloss engine covers and new paint work.

7802a12521f2daab53c366aa9d548424.jpg

The powder coat on the engine covers went off without a hitch. I was able to keep the bearings I was worried about nice and clean. The gasket set arrived today and I was able to get the covers reinstalled and oil back in the crank case. No pics today as the lighting in the garage at night sucks...

I also was able to install a shock mounted license plate bracket. Passenger peg deletes and some slick shock bolt replacements to further clean up the back end.

Bar end mirrors, LED relay, foot pegs throttle body toppers, choke knob... and a few other things on the way.

that top cover is amazing. Did you coat it with clear on top of gloss black?

teazer said:
that top cover is amazing. Did you coat it with clear on top of gloss black?

No clear, it’s Sherwin-Williams Mirror Black from The Powder Coat Store. Best looking black I’ve tried.

I got the tank polished out and mounted back up... also a good look at how the clutch side cover turned out.
e411dfe4ea24855ce5f2c68d6aea3ec1.jpg

77cee16c0f78dc7e60abb1e69f31d4f7.jpg

5d0fbb78ec5ab67d19a034fdc9010a43.jpg

So I had the bike all put together today and took it out for its maiden voyage with the new skin to get a hair cut. Sonofabitch if a dude didn’t run stop sign and t-bone me. I got a little banged up on my left side... U had to go to the ER and get checked out. A little road rash, fractured rib, bruised spleen. I am going to be bruised and sore as hell for a while. I’ll not know the extent of the damage to the bike until I am able to go pick it up from the tow yard. Will report back when I know what’s what.

That sucks big time...at least your okish and hopefully its a quick heal....

3DogNate said:
So I had the bike all put together today and took it out for its maiden voyage with the new skin to get a hair cut. Sonofabitch if a dude didn’t run stop sign and t-bone me. I got a little banged up on my left side... U had to go to the ER and get checked out. A little road rash, fractured rib, bruised spleen. I am going to be bruised and sore as hell for a while. I’ll not know the extent of the damage to the bike until I am able to go pick it up from the tow yard. Will report back when I know what’s what.

That's really bad news! Sounds like you'll be ok, but, damn, maiden voyage... You said at the beginning of the thread that the thing is a salvage title bike, I sure hope there's no such thing as a jinx or a curse, or whatever!

ridesolo said:
That's really bad news! Sounds like you'll be ok, but, damn, maiden voyage... You said at the beginning of the thread that the thing is a salvage title bike, I sure hope there's no such thing as a jinx or a curse, or whatever!
Nah... I’m not superstitious about shit like that. I’m hoping that there’s not much more than sourcing a new tank and some paint an powder coat to get it back action... I carry full coverage insurance so I’m not worried about the bike. We’ll see what the insurance companies do.

As long as you are okay (despite a few broken bones) that is all that matters. Recover quickly!

Sent from my SM-A530F using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom