KAY 100 Fighter morphs to Cafe Racer

beachcomber

TJ - Beachcomber
DTT SUPPORTER
Well - nearly 2 years on ..... the bike didn't get sold [ see Streetfighter Thread ], and more importantly, my health has improved to the point where I'm charging on with my KZ750 Twin build ;D [ now a 60's style Cafe Racer - should be over here ?? ] and then my pal asked me if I was going to store the Kay in his workshop forever !!! That WAS tongue in cheek - but I thought, what the hell. Unfortunately I had already sold the wheels, forks etc. But last year came across a set of forks for £50 !!! Be rude not to. Then a front wheel and tyre came along for £25 [ only a 3 spoke ], but I have got discs and calipers in my garage.Just need another [!] 5 spoke rear wheel and I have all the parts back again.

The bike started 3rd. twist of the key 18 months ago when we decided to see if it would still run.

I have supplied a lot of my prototype development items to BMW Kay Racer [ 3 x B.E.A.R.S. Champion ] Ben Kingham - it's my this bike that I developed my 4>1 exhaust, RAM Shox, Goldline Progressive fork springs, rearsets and other goodies.

After my recent return to almost full health - I feel I now have to make up for the past 5 years of relative inactivity and gloom. That and my pal is muttering about is my bike going to be stored in his workshops forever !

The bike is still in it's Streetfighter guise, but I have all the relevant parts for a simple swap over - Tarozzi Clip-Ons, RAASK Rearsets. STOP PRESS - just scored a 5..5" 5 spoke rear wheel and disc !

The final decider was that nobody wanted to offer me £165 for my immaculate K1100 front forks - essential for the 4 pot Brembo twin caliper conversion.

I wouldn't even consider resurrecting this project except for it being 95% complete when it was stored up - that and the aforementioned return to reasonable health. It also remains unique in the bodywork styling - I have the original alloy panels I designed [ tin bashed courtesy of Pete Kyte ] and the GRP moulds.

Thanx to Ben Kingham for keeping my interest alive in Kays - he continues his BMW winning ways - adding an endurance racer to his stable

Just need to stay healthy now.

Attachments

• Kay seat front wheel 014.jpg
    Kay seat front wheel 014.jpg
    673.7 KB · Views: 212
  • SOB bikes 007.jpg
    SOB bikes 007.jpg
    983.3 KB · Views: 205
  • k1100 forks 007.jpg
    k1100 forks 007.jpg
    908.3 KB · Views: 209
  • BKS speedworks 2014_S-45.jpg
    BKS speedworks 2014_S-45.jpg
    270.1 KB · Views: 202
  • S ON AVON 005.jpg
    S ON AVON 005.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 957
  • S ON AVON 003.jpg
    S ON AVON 003.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 958
ridesolo said:
I'm on the edge of my seat, brother! I love a good K!

Many thanx RS. Vastly underrated bit of kit ! Just a few quirks to sort out [ easily sorted ] with the stockers.

This was my original RAM development mule where the very first RAMSHOX were trialled [ 9 years ago ] when the bike was still a daily rider.

I definitely have my mojo back along with good health !!!

Scored the last of the parts I needed for the wheel / fork / 4 pot conversion today.

I'm going with the 3 spoke front wheel like Ben Kingham runs on his B.E.A.R.S. and Endurance race bikes. Much simpler as the wheel fits straight into the K1100 forks using the OEM spindle. That'll save me £125.

I also had a root round in my stash today and found Hi-Po coils, 8.8mm and 10mm [ ! ] Silicone ignition leads, a full race RAM rear shock [ Rose jointed ] and a set of RAM progressive fork springs. These are all parts I developed for the Kay range and now sold by RAM.

All in a box now together with the RAASK rearsets and Tarrozi clip-ons.

And here's the forks with the fugly ignition barrel mount removed.

Attachments

• shelby graduation sept 2014 010.jpg
    shelby graduation sept 2014 010.jpg
    854.3 KB · Views: 200
  • bens bike race retro.jpg
    bens bike race retro.jpg
    891.6 KB · Views: 188
  • 56899694_10213813578910216_4565488362349133824_n.jpg
    56899694_10213813578910216_4565488362349133824_n.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 185
  • s-l1600 (10).jpg
    s-l1600 (10).jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 191
  • s-l1600 (7).jpg
    s-l1600 (7).jpg
    177.2 KB · Views: 203
  • s-l1600 (8).jpg
    s-l1600 (8).jpg
    170.1 KB · Views: 199
  • s-l500.jpg
    s-l500.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 597
  • k1100 forks 006.jpg
    k1100 forks 006.jpg
    940.2 KB · Views: 202
When the 3 spoke front wheel arrived today - I remembered why I didn't use it in my first conversion !!! ::) ::)

It's only 2.5" wide and it's 18" dia - bollox.

Fortunately I found a 5 spoke from a K1200RS with a good tyre silly cheap - now on it's way.

That does mean I'm going to have to get another front spindle made up, but at least I now have the drawings and a few lengths of St.St. round stock.

My new tame machine shop guy can bash that out in no time.

Attachments

• k1200rs wheel tyre.jpg
    k1200rs wheel tyre.jpg
    270.2 KB · Views: 192
I got gazumped on the 5 spoke front wheel after I paid for it ! :mad:

Oh well, found another with discs and a good tyre .... £50 cheaper ! Ill wind and all that. 8)

Also found a 4 pot brake master cylinder ass'y for cheap.

Looks like a job for my new blaster !!

Attachments

• s-l1600 (13).jpg
    s-l1600 (13).jpg
    362 KB · Views: 176
Watching... I see a lot of K bikes really miss with their builds... but when they are done right they are sweet. Looks like you are on the right track.

3DogNate said:
Watching... I see a lot of K bikes really miss with their builds... but when they are done right they are sweet. Looks like you are on the right track.

Hey thanx man - appreciated.

" One day boys you'll be part of a Cafe Racer .... honest" 8)

Attachments

• kay fighter sept 2019 002.jpg
    kay fighter sept 2019 002.jpg
    569.9 KB · Views: 182
I've never owned one, but raced a friends in WERA events in the 80s. I really liked it but I think a weight reduction, better suspension and brakes would make a great bike.

Rider52 said:
I've never owned one, but raced a friends in WERA events in the 80s. I really liked it but I think a weight reduction, better suspension and brakes would make a great bike.

Absolutely - Ben Kingham has won the National B.E.A.R.S. championship outright 3 times. Now also very successful with a 2 bike team in endurance racing.

Finally fettled the RAASK rearsets where my pal's mechanics [?] had simply hacked off the pillion rest mounts and just left them!

They've now been rounded off and made to look "factory". I was going to use my Tarrozi rearsets, then remembered I'd earmarked them for the KZ Cafe Racer project. Probably have the mounts powder coated to match the wheels and other accents.

All the parts have finally arrived now and all in excellent condition - especially the calipers which don't need rebuilding. The front wheel is a bit scabby, but no biggie as I'm having them both blasted and powder coated.

I had a good look at the wheels today and they are in good shape apart from a bit of minor corrosion on one side of the front rim.

Decided to do them in Gold powder coat again like the ones I sold off ! I'll get all the accessories done at the same time - Raask rearsets, etc.

Still undecided about the main colour. ::)

Attachments

• SOB bikes 006.jpg
    SOB bikes 006.jpg
    853.6 KB · Views: 174
  • SOB bikes 007.jpg
    SOB bikes 007.jpg
    983.3 KB · Views: 185
Any feedback on colourways to go with Gold wheels and accessories ........... brain fade. ::)

Gold wheels will work with pretty much any colour scheme, but might look best with white plus blue and red accents/stripes. Traditional BMW race colors. The answer does depend a bit on what shape the body will take. That should be the focus and wheels are just highlights.

beachcomber said:
Any feedback on colourways to go with Gold wheels and accessories ........... brain fade. ::)

Lots of colors look great w/ gold; white/gold, black/gold, BRG/gold, red/gold. Maybe the key would be for you to find something really different, non traditional that would look good w/ gold. Of course, you are a pretty traditional guy... ;D How about the main colors from your family crest and then a racing stripe done to match the Tartan?

teazer said:
Gold wheels will work with pretty much any colour scheme, but might look best with white plus blue and red accents/stripes. Traditional BMW race colors. The answer does depend a bit on what shape the body will take. That should be the focus and wheels are just highlights.

That makes perfect sense Teazer .... but Ben Kingham has already claimed that one ! I will use the existing bodywork that I designed and had made - which is leaning more towards a Race Rep [ without fairing ] than a Cafe Racer .... so it's a bit of a mongrel anyway.

Hey RS ..... now you're talking !!!!! Clan Crawford crest on the tank with a tartan stripe !! I have a length of Crawford Tartan in the form of a ladies scarf - quite thin but with dense colours ... I could cheat and lay that on under clear lacquer.

Attachments

• 56899694_10213813578910216_4565488362349133824_n.jpg
    56899694_10213813578910216_4565488362349133824_n.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 169
  • S ON AVON 005.jpg
    S ON AVON 005.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 509
And if you copy that pair of bikes it really will be a race replica.

BTW,

Would you care to share the process for creating bodywork like that?

beachcomber said:
Hey RS ..... now you're talking !!!!! Clan Crawford crest on the tank with a tartan stripe !! I have a length of Crawford Tartan in the form of a ladies scarf - quite thin but with dense colours ... I could cheat and lay that on under clear lacquer.

Aye laddie!

Back
Top Bottom