Wiring/Clutch Issues 1974 Kawasaki G3SS-D

FrankenBike74

Hello, I am new to the forum, but have been a reader for quite some time now. Finally joined and hoping to get some help with my projects as needed. I have two Kawasaki G3SS's, one is a 1972 G3SS-B and the other is a 1974 G3SS-D, both at various stages of being restored. Took them to a shop and the guy only needed to do a top end rebuild for me and he convinced me to do a full restoration, but he gave up his shop halfway through... leaving me with a wiring harness that had connections torn off and a bottom end rebuild that may have to be redone for the clutch issue below.

The 74 is in the final stages of being ready to ride and needs to be wired correctly. I know next to nothing about wiring unfortunately, but would love some advice on how to do it so I can learn. I have followed the color diagram for the G3SS-A (basically the same wiring diagram for all the years) as best as I can, but I am not entirely sure about what all needs grounded. Any advice would be helpful since I still find the diagram confusing.

In addition, I have noticed that I can shift from Neutral into 1st (N-5 pattern for those unfamiliar with the G3SS) on the 74 without pulling in the clutch lever. This scares me because the guy who rebuilt the bottom half of the engine for me gave up his shop as I said and I would like to not have to take it back into a shop for this or the wiring. Could it just be a stuck clutch plate? Or possibly I just need to get a new clutch cable?

Thanks in advance, happy to be here and apart of the community! Best, T

I'd be glad to help in anyway possible. Wiring is our specialty.

First up, make sure you have the proper tools and supplies. Grab a kit from www.vintageconnections.com The CK-1 kit will have everything you need to redo the wiring on a vintage bike. Quality wire is also available.

Shifting from neutral into gear without the clutch should be possible so long as the engine isn't running. Technically it is possible to shift even with the engine running, but it's not usually a smooth process.

For the wiring, it's not too bad as long as you take it a step at a time and test as you go. As the word "circuit" implies, electricity needs to flow from its source, through the device(s) that need power, and then back to the source (ground). For instance, "battery positive terminal -> fuse -> ignition switch -> headlight switch -> low beam -> ground -> battery negative terminal" is one circuit. You'll notice that any device that takes power from the battery should have a fuse protecting the wiring. Switches control whether or not electricity can pass through the circuit or directs the electricity to different functions (and circuits). And every component that needs power will also need ground in order to complete the circuit.

If you decide you don't want to tackle the wiring, we offer a custom harness service at www.sparckmoto.com/harnesses

Thanks so much for the post! It eases my mind about the clutch as the bike's not running yet.

Seems like I just need to focus on the wiring then. I get caught up in the whole thing, sounds like I just need to be patient and take it one step at a time as you said! Thank you for the ground advice and the bit about the fuse too!

Back
Top Bottom