Big Fat Tires???

jtricer1973

Hey guys, been lurking for a while and now a member. I currently working on a 1980 CB900 Custom and have many questions since I'm new to this. I'm going for a Gravel Crew style brat. I love the big tires they use and want to know how I can use them. What size tires are those?? Will they work on my stock rims? My original front tire size is 110/90-19, and the rear is 130/90-16. Any help is greatly appreciated!

How wide are your current wheels? Not your tires, your wheels.

Pretty good chance that if those tire sizes are the stock sizes, that's the widest you can SAFELY go on your wheels.

It's usually stamped around the valve stem somewhere. It may be around the "spokes" on the wheel though. Look for a number like 1.85, 2.15, 2.5, etc.

On my brat style I have been tossing up the idea of the Firestones, they are getting a lot of play lately, I may go with a set of Shikos 705 dual sport tires instead. For the price of 2 Shinkos I can buy 1 Firestone. YIKES! my decision is not final, but go your on way dude. Our bikes are first and foremost an extension of who we are as individuals. In the end who cares what other people think.go your own way and let the comments and critisism come.

JESUS FREEK said:
On my brat style I have been tossing up the idea of the Firestones, they are getting a lot of play lately, I may go with a set of Shikos 705 dual sport tires instead. For the price of 2 Shinkos I can buy 1 Firestone. YIKES! my decision is not final, but go your on way dude. Our bikes are first and foremost an extension of who we are as individuals. In the end who cares what other people think.go your own way and let the comments and critisism come.

not to rain on anyone's rainbow parade, but our bikes are first and foremost a wonderful way to be maimed or killed, care what other people think, some of them may be making recommendations based on handling and safety

Thanks for the replies guys and believe me, I'll have many more questions. I really like the look of those tires, but are ya'll saying that they aren't safe? I figured they were modern tires made to modern safety standards, just fashioned to look vintage. Am I wrong in this assumption? I don't care if they are raised white letter Firestones, I just want black walls but I do want safe tires too!!

Gravel Crew has built a lot of bikes. How about posting a pic of which one you are looking at?

A few of my favs

Attachments

• 303.jpg
    303.jpg
    301.1 KB · Views: 2,507
  • 30.jpg
    30.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 3,075
  • 101.jpg
    101.jpg
    236.6 KB · Views: 2,468
  • 1452.jpg
    1452.jpg
    356.6 KB · Views: 3,973
Hoosier Daddy said:
That second bike has Comstars on it. Is that what your '80 has?

Yes it has Comstars. That CB750 custom and My CB900 custom are close to identical. Biggest difference is that mine is shaft drive.

I found a new favorite!!
And the second is just cool!!!

Attachments

• 1980-honda-cb750.jpg
    1980-honda-cb750.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 3,860
  • vintage-bobber-brat-chopper-motorcycle-parts-accessories_1.jpg
    vintage-bobber-brat-chopper-motorcycle-parts-accessories_1.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 1,481
Hmmmm. That last one isn't a Gravel Crew bike. That's Troybuilts cb360 - a couple years ago.

360's got Conti's on it
Far superior tyre to the Firestone and still looks somewhat 'vintage'

Our Baby. 16" rims laced to stock hubs and dressed with 16" Shinko tyres.

Attachments

• Honda1.JPG
    Honda1.JPG
    160.3 KB · Views: 3,624
My 2 cents: Those old style dresser tires are all the rage on "brat" bikes, not sure what "brat style" is really as it looks the same as the customs and bobbers people have been building for years but with an uncomfortable seat and no rear fender so shit will sling all over you and the bike when you ride through any. Anybody that really rides a bike will soon figure out that those tires don't handle at all well in the curves, twisties and turns. Why not build the same style bike, if that is what you like, put some nice round tires on it instead of those square bastards. If you do some research you can find some nice quality and good looking tires that will turn when you lean over and countersteer into your favorite set of curves and have a blast instead of having your ass sucking your brat seat cover. I like Avons and Bridgestones for classic looks and good prices.

Back
Top Bottom