Brat Style - Seat Clearance

black350

1974-cb450-rusty-by-holiday-customs-1-370x247.jpg

Many of the builds I see with brat style hoops and seats only have a few inches of rear tire clearance. What is this? Do they just pray they never have to use the rear suspension?

its pure ignorance and in many cases raw stupidity ....lets put it this way if you think that bike looks good urine an idiot because the first thing i see is how badly and unsafely the motorcycle will perform and that is comparing it to how it performs in its original configuration,which needs improving not degrading ..bottom line modifying the machine to perform badly , is an ugly, stupid thing, to do to any motorcycle

Depends on the way it has been done, if the shocks are shorter and stiffer i.e. the whole think has been thought about and dare I suggest calculated, then why not?
There are plenty of OEM bikes out there with short rear travel (Harley's and the like).
However if it is the original shock and a cut down spring or just the original unit and a seat that eats up all the clearance/travel, then the tool that built it is welcome to the first crash it brings about

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In many cases it's a triumph of form over function. If the rear suspension is so stiff that the tyre's not to make contact over such a small distance of travel, it's not exactly suspension any more. May as well hardtail and get it over with. The trouble with a bike genre being "fashionable" is that quite frequently the bikes that are built to fill the demand look better than they are.

I've got a variation on this problem - when my bike was built no thought was given to clearance for a legal number plate. When the original owner did his run over to the TT he was riding with a black and silver "show plate" - but seeing as he was in a group of classic (and classic "looking") bikes I guess he didn't stand out. Just another thing on the list of things to do ;)

s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600.jpg

Alex jb said:
Depends on the way it has been done, if the shocks are shorter and stiffer i.e. the whole think has been thought about and dare I suggest calculated, then why not?
There are plenty of OEM bikes out there with short rear travel (Harley's and the like).
However if it is the original shock and a cut down spring or just the original unit and a seat that eats up all the clearance/travel, then the tool that built it is welcome to the first crash it brings about

none these brat bike builders in the usa that know a goddam thing about a motorcycle

xb33bsa said:
none these brat bike builders in the usa that know a goddam thing about a motorcycle

Not true. But having just trawled far and wide for US brat builds, not far from the truth, sadly. Let's face it - many of these bikes are being ridden 5 miles to a bar or cafe on smooth roads, and that's about all they're fit for. One US builder that did stand out for me is Atlantla Motorcycle Works - looking at their builds, the
thought that comes to mind is "Fit for purpose". I guess if you just want to visit a nearby hangout and not RIDE then many of these brat bikes ARE fit for purpose - but you know what I mean. Practical, with sensible modification.

If you lower your ride height for looks you are comprismising handling. Simple suspension geometry dictates this. No ifs, ands, or buts about it. Harley's included.

Whilst it is obvious some travel is going to help ride and handling, massively reduced ride can't be any worse than a hard tail surely?

stuartp said:
Whilst it is obvious some travel is going to help ride and handling, massively reduced ride can't be any worse than a hard tail surely?

Depends if the wheel is fouling.

stuartp said:
I confess to lowering my xs750 to the point where the rear wheel completely locked against a frame part in bumps. Let me tell you - you dont want to experience that! Holy fuck it hurts when your spine compresses, and dont start me on the kidneys.. was laughing at the time but herniated discs are not funny, should that happen. Hard tails are not good either but at least they dont lock the rear wheel in bumps. A whole new world of hurt.
Of course i fixed the problem soon after i realized what an idiot mistake i made.

datadavid said:
I confess to lowering my xs750 to the point where the rear wheel completely locked against a frame part in bumps. Let me tell you - you dont want to experience that! Holy fuck it hurts when your spine compresses, and dont start me on the kidneys.. was laughing at the time but herniated discs are not funny, should that happen. Hard tails are not good either but at least they dont lock the rear wheel in bumps. A whole new world of hurt.
Of course i fixed the problem soon after i realized what an idiot mistake i made.

Learning the hard way!

Take note others...

Alex jb said:
Learning the hard way!

Take note others...

you think anyone of the form-over-function bikebutchers is gonna listen?
The way i see it im happy if people survive their hobbies somewhat unharmed, plus there will be tons of hacked brabblers going for cheap when people figure out that rideable bikes are actually fun and not something you pose on pipeburn with..

Khaos said:
When the original owner did his run over to the TT he was riding with a black and silver "show plate" - but seeing as he was in a group of classic (and classic "looking") bikes I guess he didn't stand out.

s-l1600.jpg

You may get away with it for quite a while on a 'classic looking' bike, its close to 20 years too new though ;)
Clearance looks quite good though.

You may well get away with bending the bracket up some more and still be MOT compliant, Tidler has quite an up angle on the plate and passed MOT no problem... it is a tiny low down bike though
cd46baa150d5935c407f6ee124391794.jpg

EDIT: looks like I have no clearance on that pic!
CB900 shocks with minimum pre-load give full travel without any rubbing ;)

Alex jb said:
You may get away with it for quite a while on a 'classic looking' bike, its close to 20 years too new though ;)
Clearance looks quite good though.

You may well get away with bending the bracket up some more and still be MOT compliant, Tidler has quite an up angle on the plate and passed MOT no problem... it is a tiny low down bike though
cd46baa150d5935c407f6ee124391794.jpg

EDIT: looks like I have no clearance on that pic!
CB900 shocks with minimum pre-load give full travel without any rubbing ;)

lol you must weigh the ton !!

Lol that plate there is TINY - it's less than 4" tall. The bike itself is a little lower than standard GPZ305 now as well, which was done by a previous owner (after that pic was taken by the builder). With a standard plate on there's about an inch and a half clearance, and some rub evidence. Last owner let her bro and dad loose on the bike, and there's a lot of bad work to put right.

I'm thinking about a personalised plate, 5 chars - so I can get it into one line. Certainly a smaller plate with black on reflective yellow to avo id being pulled over by the boys in blue.

I will admit to being on the large side though.... many years of weights and martial arts (good)... and donuts (not so good). Now dieting and training down, mainly 'cause I got a good deal on a summer leather jacket ;)

Khaos said:
Lol that plate there is TINY - it's less than 4" tall. The bike itself is a little lower than standard GPZ305 now as well, which was done by a previous owner (after that pic was taken by the builder). With a standard plate on there's about an inch and a half clearance, and some rub evidence. Last owner let her bro and dad loose on the bike, and there's a lot of bad work to put right.

I'm thinking about a personalised plate, 5 chars - so I can get it into one line. Certainly a smaller plate with black on reflective yellow to avo id being pulled over by the boys in blue.

I will admit to being on the large side though.... many years of weights and martial arts (good)... and donuts (not so good). Now dieting and training down, mainly 'cause I got a good deal on a summer leather jacket ;)

whatever made it so that you have to run plates sized to a locomotive on an mc? good god ,the horror,the plates they make you use is obviously a form of discrimitation

I personally built for my first time build also a disfunctional "cafe racer" out of a poor little KZ400...learned the hard way that getting respect from the "cool guys" doesnt necessarily mean that you build a functional bike that handles nice and safe.
I sold the bike to a guy who is now a good friend,of course I repaired that nuisance and now he´s super happy with the bike.
Its something you must learn over the years to think about the essentials (gravity for example) ;D

Please look at our plates in Austria, they have the size of a traffic sign 8)

Attachments

• IMG_5166.JPG
    IMG_5166.JPG
    98 KB · Views: 289
  • IMG_5160.JPG
    IMG_5160.JPG
    93.5 KB · Views: 276
xb33bsa said:
whatever made it so that you have to run plates sized to a locomotive on an mc? good god ,the horror,the plates they make you use is obviously a form of discrimitation

The letters are supposed to be of a minimum size. 5 digit plates are quite cheap, so I'm going to try and have one on the bike by the MOT test comes around in April.

Still not as bad as Austria, but I think the number plate is the most un-aerodynamic thing on my bike.

xb33bsa said:
lol you must weigh the ton !!

Less than 80kg, but I actually get them to travel more than half.
I'd like to get lighter springs but the +40mm length lifts the back end up and reduces the fork rake just enough to quicken the commuter feel so it's worth it. The CD175 was a 'sport tourer' of its day! Dread to think what a relaxed geometry bike of the era felt like!
Stiffer fork oil coming over the winter.

Back
Top Bottom