Bending Metal

HerrDeacon

Over 1,000 Posts
Just wondering if anyone has any cheap ideas for bending metal? I'm talking about cheap or diy metal bending brakes. I've looked around for small cheap ones and even they are too much for me to spend, especially with the little bit of bending I'd do with it.

Right now I just have a small vise and use that to help pound some angles into sheet metal but the results are usually not the best or even. I just need something to help make some small things like license plate brackets, gauge mounts, etc. I've done these in the past using a vise but wondering if there are any better, less frustrating, methods to help save me some grief.

I just had this dilemma over the weekend with some sheet metal. Did it the old fashion way( wood and hammer and welding pliers) but luckily it doesn't have to be pretty for what I used it for.

I have used this for tons of projects. I have bent up to 14 gauge with it by notching one side of the sheet, but it bends up to 18 ga. perfectly well.

image_17317.jpg

http://www.harborfreight.com/18-inch-bending-brake-39103.html

Here's a switch box I made for the 360 with it..

dd5696e4ac86db1e021195f97cc89683.jpg

f0710a99ae0ae14f9aeef56cff947c7c.jpg

If its just small stuff you're doing then adapt your vice to work better for you

Unknown-1_zpsmqcktfk5.jpeg

Or if you have a little extra steel stock lying around like some angle and such, you could always just make a quick and dirty bender that attaches to a bench

images_zpswqgyjpvn.jpeg

http://www.eastwood.com/6-straight-seaming-plier.html?fee=7&fep=26082&SRCCODE=PLA00020&product_id=12567&adpos=1o4&creative=83580267540&device=c&matchtype=&network=g&gclid=CNLy0dXYq9ECFViBswod4nYKnw

Attachments

• p12567.jpg
    p12567.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 675
I just use my teeth.

Seriously though, some angle iron, like from an old bed frame, works great in a vice.

Thank you very much guys, some good options there. Just looking at prices for some of those items here in Canada and quite a difference from the ones you posted, some are over double the price.

Yes, I checked them out online, they have some of the items that were listed here, prices are a lot more though. May have to take a pop down there and have a look in person.

Their small bending brakes are way too much money for what it does and can make a better one for a hell of a lot less. The vice bender wasn't bad money......$25 - $60

Kamn said:
Their small bending brakes are way too much money for what it does and can make a better one for a hell of a lot less. The vice bender wasn't bad money......$25 - $60

I agree, especially since I don't think I'll need it for a lot of stuff so I don't want to spend a lot.

Just poking around the net looking for ideas and I think I'll have a go at making one. I have some material laying around and I only need a very small one for what I'll be using it for. I'll post up if I get one done.

Thanks for the help.

You've got me wanting to make one too. I even have spare bed railings.

Aw man, right before the dreaded skateboard seat mod.

I will say, if you can figure out a way to make separate sections like a finger brake, it will be all the better especially for making boxes.

Been meaning to build a version of this: for my HF press, I would build a few add on fingers for bending smaller inside 90's. You would have to plan the bends but for a small shop press break it would be handy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Ey5DHMYLZg

Back
Top Bottom