1977 XS 750 Transmission woes

DonCamalot

I bought a 77 750 a few weeks ago, running decently.
So far I've fixed the chain slapping by replacing the chain and fabricating a tensioner made of derlin. Changed the starter clutch. Cleaned the carburetor entirely.
Unfortunately, I'm very timid when it comes to probably the biggest issue.
The bike goes into first neutral and second well enough, but in order to bring it to third you have to wiggle the jockey shifter down and then up to move into the third gear. Coming back down to neutral is also the same dance.
I bought the entire guts of a transmission for the xs 750 on eBay for 25 bucks. All of it seems well maintained.
My first idea was that the shifter fork is bent. But other than that I have no real clue what's going on.
Is there a how to guide on replacing the forks? I tried searching around and found some helpful stuff.
What is the costs to repair it by a shop?
I still have the RHS oil pan. Removed from the primary chain and am preparing the engine for paint.
Many thanks in advance for any and all replies.

Update number 1: Today I started to mess around with the shifter and all the gears go in completely with no hassle or anything. I haven't done anything to the transmission yet minus the primary chain swap and starter clutch. So I don't know what did It? Any suggestions? Many thanks!

These bikes are noted for a longevity problem with second gear where the teeth get a little worn and engagement becomes difficult. thankfully, there's a write-up on pulling out 1st and 2nd gear while the motor is still complete and in the bike, and moving a shim or two around, then reassembling. I'd have thought this to be your issue if you were having trouble in and out of second, but it sounds like you're having trouble with third.

Thank you for the response!
I took looked on my shifter to see what was going on. It turns out the shifter isn't reaching low enough. It's almost like cocking itself into position when I press the shifter down there's a small click and it goes into the next gear pretty easily. Is there some way to adjust this?

you can't adjust the throw of the lever, but if the lever has been reinstalled at the incorrect point, you can undo the 10mm pinch bolt and pull the lever off, rotate it one or two grooves, and put it back on.

Back
Top Bottom