Yamaha SR250 - A clean standard build

I have some spare Denril (self lubricating nylon) laying around somewhere. I used it for my swingarm conversion instead Och bronze bushings. If you need it just tell me and I'll send you a PM on Facebook.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eleganten said:
I have some spare Denril (self lubricating nylon) laying around somewhere. I used it for my swingarm conversion instead Och bronze bushings. If you need it just tell me and I'll send you a PM on Facebook.

Cheers man, I'll be looking into it over the coming Winter so may get in touch then :)

A coupla context shots for the lads!

Attachments

• JadusSR250Cornering.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 392
  • SR250_Harvester.jpg
    SR250_Harvester.jpg
    6 MB · Views: 511
Was it by any chance you I saw today in western Lund, by Netto around 1630? Just caught a glimpse of a black, small bike as I turned in to the parking lot.

Eleganten said:
Was it by any chance you I saw today in western Lund, by Netto around 1630? Just caught a glimpse of a black, small bike as I turned in to the parking lot.

Dunno man, I was cruising around Lomma and Hjärup so maybe? I filled up at the gas station at the roundabout there ;)

Yeah, it was another bike. Figured you probably wouldn't side-mount the plate

Stoked to get a mention on this recent write up on Bikeexif for the CMBL street tracker!

http://www.bikeexif.com/yamaha-sr250-street-tracker

Attachments

• yamaha-sr250-street-tracker-cmbl.jpg
    yamaha-sr250-street-tracker-cmbl.jpg
    258.1 KB · Views: 494
I just read through this entire thread. Took two days. haha. I had a few questions, maybe I missed the answers somewhere in the 79 pages of posts. lol

What are the shocks you're using?
Stock size on the rear sprocket?
Also, when you broke that bolt in the case by the starter, would you suggest drilling it out first, or should I try welding a nut on it first and then try spinning it? Yes, I have managed to break that M6 bolt that holds on the intake boot on my SR. Aaaand the other one rounded out inside the socket head too... I expect it'll break as well.
Lastly, I don't think I ever saw your coil situation. Did you use the stock coil? Mine cracked open and id rather use like a tiny atv/scooter one. Just curious because I can't find any info on the ohm resistance and whatever else is needed to cross reference in order to use a different coil.
Im definitely interested in a black bolt kit. I too don't want to use SS fasteners in aluminum. Not sure how long you've been out of stock but I noticed it was on the shop site.
Once I get my lost title issues fixed, ill be making an order soon so I can get this sr looking good and back on the road.

This thread was very inspiring and full of information on a pretty special bike. You can't expect free info like this and were very fortunate how open source you are about you're R&D. You're business transparency will definitely pay off!

-Joie C.

Gee thanks man! Yeah, turned into quite the mammoth thread. A lot of time but also a fair amount of detail and documentation. This was my attempt to give back to the community - because up until this thread, I had been a silent observer, reading and learning from afar. I have gained so much knowledge from other generous posters over the years that I am thankful for.

Your questions:

Shocks are YSS ECO-Line - Twin Shocks Eye-Eye 300mm. Got mine from Wrenchmonkees.

Stock rear sprocket, 17 on the front. Could easily be a few less on the rear - will be looking into this in depth for my new build.

Try welding a nut to your bolt it first. If you want to drill it out, buy a set of left hand drill bits like Tunafish or Docrat suggested ;)

Used the stock coil, never had a problem with them. Theres a bunch second hand on ebay and they will do the trick. Just get new lead, plug and cap.
Failing that, any single coil would do I guess. I don't know if I would trust a tiny moped one though? Cylinder compression will be larger in the SR than a scooter - meaning a harder time for the spark to jump.

Working on getting the bolt kit back in stock!

Thanks again bud,
Jake

Just thought it might be nice to cap things off here with a bit of the publicity the bike got! It got this nice write up here over on bikebound:

http://www.bikebound.com/2017/06/06/yamaha-sr250-restomod/

Then it got covered in Built magazine - Issue No.7

Then it got picked up by MCN.

Then finally, it made cover of Classic Bike Sweden (with me riding it :eek:) and had a 6 page article translated into Swedish on it - nice to get some cred locally. There are just a handful of people in Sweden building tasteful customs with non-harley bikes, so I was pretty stoked the build was up to scratch!

Oh, and a customer of mine, Harley, had his bike featured in Classic Motorcycle Mechanics. Cool huh?!

Attachments

• CMM scan-2.jpg
    CMM scan-2.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 408
  • Page4.jpg
    Page4.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 442
  • Page3.jpg
    Page3.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 487
  • Page2.jpg
    Page2.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 467
  • Page1.jpg
    Page1.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 438
  • Cover.jpg
    Cover.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 402
  • Jadus_MCN.jpg
    Jadus_MCN.jpg
    251.4 KB · Views: 720
  • BuiltMagazinePage2.jpg
    BuiltMagazinePage2.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 455
  • BuiltMagazinePage1_Smaller.jpg
    BuiltMagazinePage1_Smaller.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 367
  • BuiltMagazineCover.jpg
    BuiltMagazineCover.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 403
just spent all day at work reading through this thread. The amount of detail and attention that went into this is nothing short of AWESOME. and the fact that you opened it up to others in the process with the webshop is even just as awesome.

keep up the amazing work

MiniatureNinja said:
just spent all day at work reading through this thread. The amount of detail and attention that went into this is nothing short of AWESOME. and the fact that you opened it up to others in the process with the webshop is even just as awesome.

keep up the amazing work

Thanks man! Sweet you get to read stuff like this at work! ;D

Have just stumbled upon this thread. WOW!

Jadus, J. You are a legend and made my first ever bike build an absolute joy.
Purchased my first bike, a 1983 SR250 back in 2017 and have spent the last 5 years tinkering and tidying up. Learning a shed load along the way.

All your videos and parts available online helped me immensely with the build.
Just last weekend I added a Kickstart to my SR250, I will get a shot and post here - love my thumper - Thanks for the help mate!

Attachments

• SR25O Yamaha.PNG
    SR25O Yamaha.PNG
    2 MB · Views: 144

Purchased my first bike, a 1983 SR250 back in 2017 and have spent the last 5 years tinkering and tidying up. Learning a shed load along the way.

Just last weekend I added a Kickstart to my SR250, I will get a shot and post here - love my thumper - Thanks for the help mate!
That is all awesome man

Hello

This deserves a separate thread ;)

And yes, if you are searching the internet for SR250 Jadus is usually the end of your search :D

Back
Top Bottom