1983 GS-750E Rebuild

Toast

Been Around the Block
I got this bike for free from a member of my local bike board. He's the original owner and in '88 it burned a valve, had the head disassembled, put on non-op and then sat in a damp basement for 24 years.

Here's the bike when I picked it up, no suspension attached, dirty with parts in various boxes.
imag0448b.jpg

He was nice enough to throw in the Works Ultra performance monoshock he bought for it, some NOS parts and Dyna coils.

Here's the night I brought it home after picking it up and carrying it to the side yard.
imag0456k.jpg

Today I finished mostly reassembling the bike so it at least rolls. I wheeled it out to the front yard and gave it quick washing. The front fairing is kinda messed up and the mount is a little tweaked but I got it pretty close. The exhaust is all there too but I didn't have time to install it.

imag0528dg.jpg

imag0529m.jpg

imag0531i.jpg

Looks pretty good for a free bike :D I think I'm just going to restore this bike back to stock as best I can. My 550/650 will be the crazy modded race bike and this will be a comfortable commuter/cruiser. I still have to finish the other bike so this is kind of a thread holder but I'll be cleaning/rebuilding and painting stuff along the way.

The first thing to do is to crack open the side covers to see what the condition of the lower end is. The top end is pretty rusty but I think it's salvageable.

Back
Top Bottom