Yamaha SR500 build

Spondon83

Found a 1978 SR500 that had been sitting next to a neighbors house...for 20 years. He parked it there and told me the motor was frozen...the price was right (zero $$) so I brought it home... I am well into my build (approx 2 years) and still have much to do....here is the before and current view of my project. I do have even more current pictures but I thought I'd start here. BTW, it will not be yellow when it's done.

10676711.jpg

Welcome Spondon83, nice to see you moved your project to this sight. Looking forward to follow your build and see the finished build.

Caf3racer said:
Kinda all over hey Spondon? First the SR500 forum, then I see you on the Caferacer.net forum, and now here.

this might be the right spot for me...I always look for new inspiration to stay interested in my own project.

Bud64 said:
Welcome Spondon83, nice to see you moved your project to this sight. Looking forward to follow your build and see the finished build.

I'm hoping to find inspiration as I head to the final steps of my project. I've got to sort out wiring, shocks, and a stator rewind. This might be the place to find what I need.

If you're going to work on the wiring, may I suggest replace it all with new wiring and simplify as much as you can. Nothing worse then old brittle wiring to cause you issues down the line.

Bud64 said:
If you're going to work on the wiring, may I suggest replace it all with new wiring and simplify as much as you can. Nothing worse then old brittle wiring to cause you issues down the line.

I have a new replacement harness with all new wires and connectors that I was going to use...however I have a friend that suggested that we use this harness to create a new harness with modern connectors which will also allow a cleaner set up. The intention is to do exactly what you suggest, keep it simple. I'm also going to use Motogadget controls instead of the stock controls. Making an old bike more modern is my plan.

Looks great is that the stock front end? Those wheels are nice I need to ditch mine I've been popping tubes for two weeks :eek: ;D

Sr forum sucked some good info but lame atmosphere

Post more of what you did!!!

The spoked wheel is the real classic Cafe look, I couldn't think of anything that looks better.

The wiring system you're going with looks quite simple to work with, everything's labeled. I think the sleek controls will work well with the look you're going for.

Motogadget is the way to go! I used on my XV920R and I'm thrilled with it. It takes time to solder and shrink wrap correctly, but the out come is very rewarding.

XVRacer said:
Motogadget is the way to go! I used on my XV920R and I'm thrilled with it. It takes time to solder and shrink wrap correctly, but the out come is very rewarding.

Good to know since Motogadget stuff is quite pricey...and my custom gauge are some feature items for this bike and wasn't cheap either but I think it will be quite rewarding.

Nj732port said:
Looks great is that the stock front end? Those wheels are nice I need to ditch mine I've been popping tubes for two weeks :eek: ;D

Sr forum sucked some good info but lame atmosphere

Post more of what you did!!!

Those forks are stock 1999-2000 Yamaha R6. The triple clamps are custom made to fit the SR500. The R6 fork tubes are 43mm and the stock SR500 are 32mm (if memory serves me) so I needed yokes that would work. I also sent a stock SR500 triple clamps to have a stock size stem fabricated so it would bolt up like stock..replaced the stock bearings with tapered bearing. I have pictures of the one off steering stop...another fun little feature. The wheels are 17" wheels, SR500 stock wheels are 19" front and 18" rear...I can give you more info about them if you like. I will post more pictures for those that want to ask more questions..

Spondon83 said:
I read through your SR build...very cool stuff you were doing...did you finish that beauty?

That's the reaSon I came to this site and he decided to build a van :mad: :p ! I'm waiting for him to get back to work on it too! What hubs did you go with? I don't have any plans to change over yet but if I can start collecting parts on the cheap now it would help.

Nj732port said:
That's the reaSon I came to this site and he decided to build a van :mad: :p ! I'm waiting for him to get back to work on it too! What hubs did you go with? I don't have any plans to change over yet but if I can start collecting parts on the cheap now it would help.

I did the same thing...collected a bunch of parts before I got going on it. The Wheels...Rear Cush hub from a Yamaha WR450 (a cush drive hub is a must; no matter what anyone tells you), KTM rim; Front is Excell Rim and RAD Hubs, 245mm rear rotor; after further research, I could have used a Yamaha TDR250 Hub. These are all used parts... Note that I also purchased a new Motolana swing arm but I actully think a hand made swing arm would be nice.

Even after getting all the parts, the hub needed to be centered to the swingarm, proper spacers fabricated including a custom rear caliper hanger for the Ducati 1198 caliper. All the coolest parts still need to have parts fabricated.. Here is a picture of the caliper, hanger, master cylinder, and the reservoir relocation. You may also see that I cut out the existing braces to add tubular braces instead..something the factory should have done.

Just so you know those Speedhut gauges are NOT gauranteed to be waterproof.

May or may not be a deal breaker but something to consider if you're dumping $300 on a gauge and get unexpectedly stuck in a shower ::)

hillsy said:
Just so you know those Speedhut gauges are NOT gauranteed to be waterproof.

May or may not be a deal breaker but something to consider if you're dumping $300 on a gauge and get unexpectedly stuck in a shower ::)

Thank you Hillsy... I knew that when I bought it. They make it quite clear when I told them my application. I'm not concerned. Cheers!

Spondon83 said:
I read through your SR build...very cool stuff you were doing...did you finish that beauty?
Thanks man,
It is not finished sadly, I resumed playing with it with a new cdi a few weeks ago only to determine that the cdi was fine all along and it's the stator that's bad.
So I need a new stator, or a rewind.
I'll get back to it eventually

SONIC. said:
Thanks man,
It is not finished sadly, I resumed playing with it with a new cdi a few weeks ago only to determine that the cdi was fine all along and it's the stator that's bad.
So I need a new stator, or a rewind.
I'll get back to it eventually

I know how you feel...it's easy to get started on something..it's equally as easy to get distracted; I do it all the time. I just sent my stator out for rewind.. $275 for this work but it will be one less thing to worry about. Good Luck!

Back
Top Bottom