Yamaha rd350 Road Racer Liquid Cooled!!

Hurco550

Keep er' Between the Ditches
DTT SUPPORTER
DTT BOTM WINNER
Well, I cut down my project pile in favor of an rd350, some chambers and a cool old school road race fairing. Got rid of my hs1 90 Yamaha and gt380 basket case.

71e8b85b1f51dd65bbaf0fb7e966c993.jpg

Came home with this.
8a38cda5c250371b1652c1371466dc60.jpg

0d7bd792752b3b1429997a8ebf25a6b2.jpg

587cecab79fbd3947c0a026495507ce3.jpg

Plan is simple in theory. No creature comfort, road race style bike, barely legal. Ported r5 motor with the 6 speed rd350 transmission. More to come, hopefully since this is now my only bike project, I can keep this one going.

Re: Yamaha rd350 road racer

I have some random RD parts laying around. Let me know if you need some.

-Dave

Awesome I've got a similar plan in mind for my next project! I like the full fairings on the RD too

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Sounds like a plan. 400 box is even better if you can find one at the right price, and of not 350 trans will work too. Fit a decent ignition (anything but points) and you should be good to go.

teazer said:
Sounds like a plan. 400 box is even better if you can find one at the right price, and of not 350 trans will work too. Fit a decent ignition (anything but points) and you should be good to go.
If you don't mind, I'll probably pick your brain a bit during this project. Word on the street is that you know a thing or two about 2strokes and road racing :)

You may have heard that from my publicist who is truly a great man and everyone loves him, and he has been incredibly successful....... Too much election coverage for one day..

PM me any time.

For better driveability, use the RD cylinders over the piston-port R5. The reed valves make for a much more enjoyable experience. Teazer is correct on the 400 trans too. Closer ratios in the top gears. Are those Bassani pipes?

Shoeman said:
For better driveability, use the RD cylinders over the piston-port R5. The reed valves make for a much more enjoyable experience. Teazer is correct on the 400 trans too. Closer ratios in the top gears. Are those Bassani pipes?

I think I'll stick with the Rd gear box for now, only because I have it available, and monies need to be spent elsewhere on the project lol I'm not opposed to the reed motor per say either, I think I'll start by tearing them both down and seeing what I have

Shoeman said:
And I can't find any markings on the pipes, but the guy I got them from said they are just dg's

I'm thinking they're not DG. DG have a single stage diffuser, and yours have a two stage. Much better.

Started pulling down the r5 motor to see what I'm working with. Got one side freed up without much fuss, the other side isn't being quite so easy. If my concoction doesn't work, I'll grab some atf and acetone tomorrow, 70% of the time, it works every time. I won't know until it gets torn clear down if it needs a full crank rebuild, but odds are it will. I found this online, and I doubt you can rebuild one for the price of this new. That said, I think the country of origin is Taiwan, and I cannot find any user reviews. $400 for a new crank almost seems to cheap in a way.
https://www.vitosperformance.com/atv_parts/product.php?productid=11577&cat=0&page=&featured=Y

I'm going to tear the rd350 motor down as well to see where I stand on the two, but the top end is stuck on it as well.

While I wait for funds to build a motor, I will try to mount the fairing, sort the tank and seat, and figure the chassis work. I think a cb500t tank will fit the bill, but I can't bring myself to strip the paint off this tank, it's just to nice. Anyhow, just a mockup, so don't bind your panties ;)
83f39e2f6034b5904b0e991ef01a10bd.jpg

$400 is cheap for sure. I had not looked at Vitos website in many years, since I sold my last RZ. He's expanded his product line quite a bit. Hard to say no at that price. I'd find out about the return policy and if allowed, I'd get one, measure it to make sure it meets Yam spec on all dimensions before using it. Good calipers, some v-blocks and dial indicator(s) is all you need.
I see he sells a racing version too (TR) that uses the TZ style roller bearing on the primary end but does not have the lightening holes of the true race cranks, for more money. Not worth the extra $$ for a street bike though.

Shoeman said:
I see he sells a racing version too (TR) that uses the TZ style roller bearing on the primary end but does not have the lightening holes of the true race cranks, for more money. Not worth the extra $$ for a street bike though.

TZ outer main bearings are much better than the street bearings but cannot be used on a crank with helical primary gears. They must be straight cut to use them because unlike balls, they can't take the side loads. So TZ cranks for bikes with straight cut primaries and dry clutch and regular bearings for street bikes with helical gears and wet clutch.

I know we all have a different sense of style, but please remove that tank and put it on something fat and heavy - like say a Honda.... :)

teazer said:
I know we all have a different sense of style, but please remove that tank and put it on something fat and heavy - like say a Honda.... :)

+1.....that got me a good laughing fit.

Back
Top Bottom