75 Yamaha RD350

2_strokin

2stroke Enthusiast
Hey everyone, I'm Derek. I'm coming from the 2strokeworld forum, but since it's been down for a while I thought I'd start a thread here too. So, here's the background on the bike:

I've always been into two stroke bikes, and have a number of dirt bikes and currently ride an 02 Honda CR125. I'm enamored with the idea of an RZ350, but that'll have to wait until I get out of college and a little more established. So, instead I went for an RD. I bought it in Carlisle not too far from my college, and sat in the bed for a week until I left home for break.

Untitled by Derek Shirley, on Flickr

I bought it for $1700, and felt so-so about it. It was a little rough, but considering how old the bike was it wasn't a terrible start. After more research, I learned it had a mix-match of different RD and old-school parts over the years such as: Morris mag wheels, 400 rear disc brake conversion, some mix-match chamber, junky seat/tank, and poor craftsmanship haha.

Then, I started by stripping it all down to try and get a better understanding of what I was getting myself into. Noticed a ton of crappy wiring, bubblegum welds, and wiring. At that point, I sold told the tank and seat and bought an R5 tank that was in decent shape.

20171220_122911 by Derek Shirley, on Flickr

I also scooped up a gauge cluster and headlight in great shape:

DSC02087 by Derek Shirley, on Flickr

DSC02085 by Derek Shirley, on Flickr

DSC02081 by Derek Shirley, on Flickr

DSC02082 by Derek Shirley, on Flickr

DSC02083 by Derek Shirley, on Flickr

Ended up buying this sweet original RD tank in Portuguese Orange. It's missing a cap lock, but I'll work with it.

Screen Shot 2018-04-10 at 4.14.54 PM by Derek Shirley, on Flickr

Screen Shot 2018-04-10 at 4.13.58 PM by Derek Shirley, on Flickr

Screen Shot 2018-04-10 at 4.14.15 PM by Derek Shirley, on Flickr

Screen Shot 2018-04-10 at 4.14.44 PM by Derek Shirley, on Flickr

Following this, I got in contact with Ian Halcott from Twinline Cycles who is a wizard with custom sheetmetal fab. He builds a seat that suits the lines of the tank so well. Here's what the seat will look like.

2928 by Derek Shirley, on Flickr

Twineline Yamaha RD350-1-36 by Derek Shirley, on Flickr

http://www.returnofthecaferacers.com/2016/03/twinline-yamaha-rd350.html
http://motorivista.com/1975-yamaha-rd350-twinline-motorcycles/

Now, this brings me to my current state. I'm on summer break for college, and working on saving money an acquiring parts. It's taking time, but slowly getting there.

Plans for the bike are:
- Racetech emulators
- TZ front fender
- Fork brace
- Rebuild petcock with new rubber snubbers on tank/gas cap lock
- Powerdynamo ignition
- Mikuni 28mm flatslide carbs with uni pods
- RFY rear shocks
- Jim Lomas chambers
- New wheel/suspension bearings

Welcome man. I lurk over on 2sw but don't post much. Still bummed to see the site go down. Love the rd. I have a road race replica on the back burner myself. Thanks for posting up here.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Nice bike to start with. Looking forward to seeing your progress.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks y'all. Yeah, I'm bummed on 2SW, too. It had a wealth on info on there... Hopefully it'll be back.

Fingers crossed they get it back up. It's an unbelievable resource. I generally search it via google and for about my last 25 issues have found the answer in about 5 minutes.

Anyways, I recognize that bike. Sounds like you are on track to get it squared away.

It seems this has happened once before from what I can gather off a prior thread on here... I wonder what happened. Either someone not paying the hosting fee or whatever. It confusing because there seemed to be a decent amount of traffic there.

great project there
im starting one of my own actually

bummer about 2stroke world
thats where i met chuck quenzler and im getting all the engine work
etc etc with him.

i need to solve the wheels problem. in india the rims are all drum based
and for the beast im building i need discs

what wheel setup do u suggest.

Spoked wheels would probably be the lightest... Look on eBay for rd hubs and choose the rim of your choice.

Back
Top Bottom