79 Kawasaki KZ650 - 8 minute video, 282 West, Pennsylvania

SrgtBear

The arsenic has oddly shaped feet...
I have to admit I really lucked out lately finding this bikes on the cheap. First my XS500 for $200, and now this 79 Kawasaki KZ650 for $500. Found sitting in a shed for the last 10 years. No pitting on forks, mostly original, seat enacted with no holes in it. Only some minor rust and patina with a frozen master cylinder.

Nonetheless, this is my second time around on a bike build so I was easily able to get this bike started within an hour having it in my possession. Below is a picture and video.

I haven't decided what I am going to do with her yet except get her functioning and riding good.
d013c090d84111e183b822000a1e8a6e_7.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2C5OtxCfGBQ

Re: KZ650: SrgtBear's New Project

Good news. I popped off the timing cover to find this pleasant surprise already install. Martek 440 Electronic Timing. However I am running into an issue. The bike idles and warms up fine and purrs in low rpms. The bike then chokes when I give it throttle or start to rev higher then 2.5k. My assumptions are clogged main jets, the Electronic Timing advance is not set right, or it could possibly be an air leak in the system. Will keep you posted. First step rebuild carbs and check compression.

photo%281%29.JPG

Re: KZ650: Martek 440 Electronic Timing

If the this bike is done like your 500 its going to be one sweet ride ! I'll get the popcorn !!!!

Re: 79 Kawasaki KZ650: Revin' it out! First test drive.

Fixed the throttle response issue. Fired it up again and reved it out with a twist of the throttle. Took it for its first test drive too. See videos:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTtPUFE4Z7w
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJsrQm0-b0g

Re: 79 Kawasaki KZ650: Cam & Head Teardown - First Examination

It's been awhile since I posted an update:

Got the engine out from the frame, started a tear down this weekend. Finished with getting the head off. Initial impressions not bad. Valves had no leaks, previous hiss issues could of been from this oily messy head gasket or exchange from one cylinder to the other. Still haven't identified any major issues. Based on visual comments are welcome.

Just ordered new oils seals, tools to get the overhaul done and a manual cam tensioner.

IMG_5785.JPG

IMG_5791.JPG

IMG_5793.JPG

IMG_5794.JPG

IMG_5795.JPG

Re: 79 Kawasaki KZ650: Cam & Head Teardown - First Examination

Measure your cylinder bore diameter.
I don't remember stock 650 pistons having that big of a valve relief.

Re: 79 Kawasaki KZ650 - One chiped piston and a 64mm bore

• It's been awhile. Got back into this project after a fun and exciting winter full of skiing. With that said here is where I am at.

Took the pistons off. Accidentally ripped of the side of one piston in the process. It's a learning process so I've accepted the fact that I goofed. The worst part is that the bore is 64mm, 2 sizes over. Which makes finding a 64mm exact replacement nearly impossible. If anyone has one laying around, please let me know.

Split the engine, everything looks good. Time to get those remaining parts out and off to get them cleaned up. Stay tuned.

IMG_7851.JPG

IMG_7854.JPG

IMG_7856.JPG
    [/img]

Piston is junk. Those wiseco piston are only available 2 mm over.
Remove that red crap from the case half mating surfaces.

SrgtBear said:
It's been awhile since I posted an update:

Got the engine out from the frame, started a tear down this weekend. Finished with getting the head off. Initial impressions not bad. Valves had no leaks, previous hiss issues could of been from this oily messy head gasket or exchange from one cylinder to the other. Still haven't identified any major issues. Based on visual comments are welcome.

Just ordered new oils seals, tools to get the overhaul done and a manual cam tensioner. Notice how I used my sisters nail polish to mark the timing marks on the cam to the chain. Ha

IMG_5785.JPG

IMG_5791.JPG

IMG_5793.JPG

IMG_5794.JPG

IMG_5795.JPG

Cams look bigger than stock. What is the lift?

64mm is the 700 kit size from wisco I know, cause i have a 65 mm (action 4) but wisco used to make a 65mm and they do not make that anymore.

http://www.wiseco.com/ProductDetail.aspx?AppID=&ItemID=K700&ModelYear=&ModelID=

Attatoy said:
64mm is the 700 kit size from wisco I know, cause i have a 65 mm (action 4) but wisco used to make a 65mm and they do not make that anymore.

http://www.wiseco.com/ProductDetail.aspx?AppID=&ItemID=K700&ModelYear=&ModelID=

I will go through everything again as I start to reassemble it to make sure my measurements are correct. Since the bike has already been tuned for 64mm pistons I might as well stick with the expensive Wisco Kit, $500-600 :-\ . It will be worth it in the end. Too bad I can't locate just one piston. However, even if I do that I still need to get the bigger piston rings. Might as well suck it up and pay for the kit.

Not sure about the cams, they look stock to me but I'll have to check those too.

why did you decide to split the cases and pull it apart? IT looks like someone had been in there recently and unless I missed something it was running well?

Did yea look at my link? Single parts are listed at the bottom there. You just need to make sure its a wisco piston. The pics are not on the site , but it should not be hard to find out. Nice bike BTW

fury413rb said:
why did you decide to split the cases and pull it apart? IT looks like someone had been in there recently and unless I missed something it was running well?

Well there was a hiss/pop of air escaping somewhere from one of the valves or gaskets. It was running but hesitated under load because of that hiss/pop issue. Secondly as you can tell by looking at the picture that there was some gasket issues and a very dirty engine starting from the bottom of the head gasket down. So my plan was to fix everything and do a full rebuild the correct way.

You can actually hear the sound in the very first video if you listen closely.

Re: 79 Kawasaki KZ650 - Engine Stripped down ready for Vapor Blasting

The engine is stripped down. Excited to get the engine pieces out for some Vapor Blasting. Measured the piston and it definitely had a 64mm piston kit on it. So I am going to bite the bullet and purchase the WISECO kit since I busted one of the pistons. Seems worth the price since it comes with the pistons, gasket, rings, and all the needed pieces.

I pierced some skin along the way trying to get these damn circlips off. After awhile I got good at flinging them across the room. aka JESUS clips.
photo+1.JPG

photo+3.JPG

photo+2.JPG

Did you measure the piston at the bottom of the skirt?

Nebr_Rex said:
Did you measure the piston at the bottom of the skirt?

Yeah also the same. Why would that make a difference?

Back
Top Bottom