Luugo's SL175 Winter Ho-Down

It's been a few months since I've updated this, and gotten to give any attention to this project really. I've been helping one of my old Army buddies build a CB350 in my shop, and just allowing life to get in the way more than I should. However, I am back on this baby with a vengeance. At the beginning of October I am going to be doing a big parts order to start making some real progress.
In the meantime, I was able to get the engine unseized.. I broke a 4lb mini sledge and got a straight up viking workout the night that I broke it loose lol, was a good night. I am not going to split the cases on this engine because it is is a very low mileage engine and I havent found anything but decent looking oil in the bottom end; no water, no metal shavings, it looks very clean.

Plans for the Engine: Hone on the jugs, going to send the head out to be cleaned up and have the valves lapped in (open to east coast suggestions for this actually), I want to clean the oil pump and filter, rebuild the clutch basket, replace the generator, replace all the points/ignition components, and then just rings, oil seals and gaskets. Seems like a lot but I feel like I'm keeping it a lot more simple than I could get. Also going to clean the engine up and paint it.. open to suggestions for the best way to get it clean enough for paint short of splitting it and putting it in the dishwasher haha.
Forks are going to get rebuilt, rear shocks replaced, brakes rebuilt, new rubber, and.. Thanks to the electrical Jedi Master- Sonreir- I have a sweet, really simplified new wiring harness coming.

If anyone has any experience with the SL175 or CB175, any words of wisdom will be accepted and greatly appreciated, I know that every build comes with its unexpected problems and challenges, so any visibility on things to look out for.
I have a few photos from tonight to post up, I will take more tomorrow, I was also working on some TIG welding projects tonight so I didnt get to take as many photos for the build as I wanted.

Some photos of the engine(will get better ones, rolling chassis with a new tank I picked up, some photos of my shop, and a photo of what I started with for this project. The fenders and the steel headlight bucket were in great shape when I got this bike, the engine, and another complete '71 SL175 for $100 back in January.

Attachments

• IMG_1883.JPG
    IMG_1883.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 280
  • IMG_1884.JPG
    IMG_1884.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 280
  • IMG_1885.JPG
    IMG_1885.JPG
    886.1 KB · Views: 276
  • IMG_1886.JPG
    IMG_1886.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 272
  • IMG_2910.JPG
    IMG_2910.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 284
  • IMG_2123.JPG
    IMG_2123.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 278
Does anyone have a tried and true method for cleaning up pipes that have surface rust and just overall kinda nasty, but not structurally compromised? I'm referring to the set of CL pipes from earlier in the thread.

Yo Von, whats up man? Thanks for the info.. Ill try the hillbilly method first lol. You still trying to get those PA chapter DTT patches made?

Luugo86 said:
Yo Von, whats up man? Thanks for the info.. Ill try the hillbilly method first lol. You still trying to get those PA chapter DTT patches made?

Shit... I'd like to. Between work travel, buying a house, pretending to be an adult, etc. I haven't had time for much of anything really.

Hey dudes, once I pull the oil pump and filter and the clutch basket to clean them up and all, I was wondering what method you guys use to clean up the engine and paint it... I was just going to put the case covers back on, the jugs, head, cam cover and tighten everything down and start with a brush and some degreaser lol.. I dont own a soda blaster or anything like that, but Im not apposed to picking up something like that as long as it doesn't cost my left nut and beer money I have in my account lol

A can of spray aircraft stripper works wonders on both old paint and grease. Burns if you get it on your skin, though. Use gloves and wash with plenty of water when you're done.

Sonreir said:
A can of spray aircraft stripper works wonders on both old paint and grease. Burns if you get it on your skin, though. Use gloves and wash with plenty of water when you're done.

Thanks man. Is that something I can pick up at a Lowe's or Home Depot?

Luugo86 said:
Thanks man. Is that something I can pick up at a Lowe's or Home Depot?

Auto parts store, usually.

Attachments

• EAR322_KSA-ArPntRmvr_150dpi.jpg
    EAR322_KSA-ArPntRmvr_150dpi.jpg
    256.9 KB · Views: 273
I find doing a wash with purple power and pressure washer to get grease and dirt off, then alumibrite to get the aluminium ready for paint the best........personally works for me

Cool, thanks dudes. As far as the engine paint goes, I want to mostly do a pretty standard matte silver, possibly some flat black depending on the overall color scheme I decide on for the bike. Have you guys found any particular brand or type of engine paint to hold up and finish better than others?

I'm heading out to the shop to get some work done now so I will have some more progress photos later.
Kamn, I'm hoping I come down with a sudden, severe case of that ass-burgers lol

I just used regular ol' Rustoleum (Aluminum color).

Spray it on, let it dry, then bake at 200°F for three hours. Add another coat, if desired.

Attachments

• 240294_10150244540415159_4800529_o.jpg
    240294_10150244540415159_4800529_o.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 270
Hey fellas, happy beer hour, or whiskey hour. I've run into a snag. I pulled the oil filter cap using an 8mm x 1.25 bolt. I do not, however, possess any of the Honda special tools let alone the oil filter lock nut wrench. Is there any type of Jedi work around for this or am I fucked lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You gotta get the tool unless you really want to grind 4 pins out of an impact socket. Good news is you buy the tool and it's good for a LOT of the Honda from this era.

I have this one, no problems: http://www.common-motor.com/honda-cb-oil-filter-tool

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

Back
Top Bottom