trying to figure out how to attach aluminum number plates to my bike

runmikeyrun

Been Around the Block
Hi all,

I have some nice aluminum number plates, and I'm trying to figure out how to attach them. I'd like to use the little rubber sockets in the frame that the side covers push into, but I don't know where I could get little metal pieces to fit into them. I'd like to avoid things like zip ties :eek: lol.

I suppose another way would be some spring clamps riveted to the plate and then clamped to the frame...?

Flat tracker number brackets?

11-08-23-PlateClampsCude.jpg

I'd like to make it simple to access the electronics, brake reservoir, etc behind them so something less permanent is better. I figured out a solution so I figured I would share in case others might find it useful.

I picked this up at home depot tonight for $8.50, similar items are available on amazon. The offset of the tall clip is right because the components behind the plate stick out of the frame a little so I can't snap the plate flush to the frame, otherwise I'd have to add a spacer. The clip mounts to a rail and is meant to slide with some force but not under normal circumstances. So I'll cut the rail down to a little section, rivet that to the plate, then I can both rotate the rail and move the clamp a little to perfectly align it with the frame tube before setting the rivet. This is a much simpler solution than worrying about mounting the clamp in the exact right place on the number plate and if I screw it up I'm out $20 for another plate lol.

The clips grip really tightly so i'm not worried about them flying off. I will paint them black to conceal them better. I am concerned about them scratching the frame so I'll glue a piece of thin black plastic around the area where the clamp seats. Unless I remove them no one will see what's behind there.

Thoughts?

Attachments

• clip strip.jpg
    clip strip.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 154
If the stand off is correct... wha la. I would just use a good 3M electrical tape for the mounting points on the frame.

Back
Top Bottom