Here's the plan for the CB400 Hawk

Ease

83 XJ650RK, 77 TS-250
So we started to strip down the hawk yesterday and I think there's a clear image now for what it's gonna look like...
WHile the image was nice and clear in my head, it doesn't translate too well to the owner of the bike to say "Don't worry I have it all figured out."

This is what the bike looks like now (currently has spoked rims but as soon as I source a front end and a brake line the comstars will be on):
CB400T5.jpg

And here is the plan (A-La Microsoft paint):
CB400T6SoloBars.jpg

Plan for the paint is simple:
CB400T9.jpg

Change of plans.
Here's the "bike" so far:
Bike-Mockup1.jpg

Add:
b8fe_1.JPG

ed70_1_b.JPG

SolidStarC.jpg

(In Red)

And lowering of the headlight / gauges.

Oh... and a motor, frame, wheels, tires, etc... etc... lol

CanadaDan said:
Love the saw horse shot! That's great :D

Hah, thanks. The owner (my buddy Adam) wanted to see what it looked like - I've been building it for him for fun in my spare time - so I did it up on the folding stand for picture purposes... That stand is awesome for working on gastanks though. I used it for mine and for all the bodywork on his. Makes it alot easier to work on - off the bike.

I think I got it at Canadian tire for like 20 - 25 bucks.

Plus I shaved like 450 lbs off the bike that way! ;D

oh wow,i found a brake fluid reservoir that is shaped like a pineapple grenade,im trying to find the link for it now,and also found a exhaust set up like a tailgunner machine gun crazzzy mad scientist shit.
im lookin for em now when i find them again i will post the link,probaly have to fab somethin tho fir the tailgunner but the grenade would work im sure

http://secure.wisconsinwebwriter.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=sf&Category_Code=Exhaust

thats the machine guns

http://secure.wisconsinwebwriter.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=sf&Category_Code=MOTOCYCO

thats the grenade

WHoa... that's all nuts (and very cool for a streetfighter).
However - the price tag... hah.
So far this entire project has been around $1500 including the bike... so that'd be like putting 24K gold sprinkles on a turd. LoL

Got the (friend's) bike put back together today!

Added the comstars, the disc brake front end, lowered the gauges about 3 inches, added new headlight ears and lowered / sunk the headlight in, relocated the horn, put the clubmans on... umm... put all the painted parts back on...
And I must say it looks like a ratty old bike - I like it alot ;D.

I'll try and get some pics up. I have them on my cellphone but I'll be damned if I can get em from there to my computer...
(Anyone know how to transfer pics on a LG Chocolate LG800 [Alliant - CDMA])?

ya i know the prices are a bit much ,considering if it go's on a street fighter chances are it will be dropped.
still very cool shit though,wish i could dump 5 6 bills on an machine gun exhaust set up.would look crazy on a cafe

It's coming along. A bit slower though.
My new job has had me working weekends so I havent had time to go over and work on the bike... I did, however, find the time yesterday to modify the taillight to fit, so that's the next project... All I have to do is get that taillight on there, put on a set of grips and maybe a mirror or two and it's good to go.
I'll post some pics when we get it on the road.

Ease said:
It's coming along. A bit slower though.
My new job has had me working weekends so I havent had time to go over and work on the bike... I did, however, find the time yesterday to modify the taillight to fit, so that's the next project... All I have to do is get that taillight on there, put on a set of grips and maybe a mirror or two and it's good to go.
I'll post some pics when we get it on the road.

Mock up the new set up!!..I wanna see how it looks!!..
To be honest, at first I wasnt sure how it was gonna turn out, but when I saw the new seat, paint and graphic, I was impressed!!
Cant wait to see it!!

locOleoN said:
Mock up the new set up!!..I wanna see how it looks!!..
To be honest, at first I wasnt sure how it was gonna turn out, but when I saw the new seat, paint and graphic, I was impressed!!
Cant wait to see it!!

Hey thanks Noel... I guess anything can be made cool with enough sweat.
I don't have the tins lying around anymore. I actually assembled he bike about 2 weeks ago, removed the stock fugly covers (fork tube tops), lowered the headlight a good 2-3 inches (and recessed it a bit), lowered the gauges by about the same, put the clubmans on and installed the new rims/tires.

If no other suprises come up all I need to do is setup the new disc brake and slap on the taillight... Oh, and shorten the stalks on the indicators by about 5 inches, lol... they are hitting the bars now.

I'll try and remember to bring a camera next time I go work on it... this project has been mostly get there and get what I can done and not worry about taking pictures. But I regret it now.

I'll definately get something done this weekend, my first weekend off in a few weeks.

OK, so i was at the bike again today... BUT I forgot my camera again... Not that I had time to use it, lol.

Got the taillight/licence plate mounted, new grips on, new brake cable, caliper, master cylinder installed. Never got around to doin the decals - I was in a mad rush to get outa there and head to my buddy's cabin... which evidently hasn't happened yet and here I am writing a message instead.

Nice Hawk!!

Here's my 1981 CB400T Hawk that I built:

I have another hawk that I havent started yet that I plan on restoring completely back to stock.

Looking forward to see how your hawk turns out!

Holy Crap... That's freakin sweet.

More potential than I gave the old b-otch.
THis calls for a winter overhaul. lol.
I'll post some pics soon.

Thanks!

The tank took most of the time to modify. I cut the lower swoop of the tank.....pounded in some knee inserts.....welded and fiberglassd the tank back up when I was satisfied with the shape.

Adam had the bike out for the fist run today!
I had to follow b/c he only has his lerners permit on a motorcycle... And because I wanted to.

We still have some issues with the brakes (they suck) but we're just gonna throw on some new pads and shoes and do a little adjusting.

So, Here are the pics... The bike is ratty and ugly, because that's exactly what we planned for it to be. Adam expects he'll be crashing this one, lol, so the budget was pretty small.

FirstRide3.jpg

FirstRideAugust82007.jpg

I think he's gonna re-upholster the seat, but i just slapped that cover on there (the old cover - reversed, and cut where there was a huge rip in it) so it would be rideable. Also, the gauges will be replaced with a standalone speedo that has the lights built in - the one from MikesXS if it will work.

And the Proud owner:
n592225057_951943_1023.jpg

Back
Top Bottom