Cnc lathe decision

Beeweldmut

Been Around the Block
So last month I bought a grizzly mini lathe new in the box. I haven't had time to unpack it yet. Today I went to an auction of a college that shut down it industrial tech lab and I won and auction with 2 CNC benchtop lathes. A prolight turning center computer controlled with controllers and power supplies and even the factory table. Then another emco compact 5 with built in cnc controls that appears to be a standalone unit.

I have not tested either so that might affect my final decision. I don't have a lot of cnc experience but I've done some on PC based programs and think I can practice to a useable point. But I also don't presently have a big demand for turning projects so the grizzly might be the best for my needs, and it's also the biggest lathe. I would just hate to get rid of a cnc anything.
166536102c1cec58f715536cf120f6e2.jpg
c2c5fd8109cc75756ca983bd8e2a8c91.jpg

I guess it's worth clarifying that I now own 3 lathes and want to sell 2 of them. What do y'all know about these lathes to compare them?

assuming they were all relatively cheap Id keep the better cnc lathe and the grizzly. Learn to use the grizzly and then transfer over to the cnc. Worst part about mini lathes is it takes for damn ever to make anything. So having it cnc would be really nice

I've done a good bit of programming on an Emco Compact V. It's a really primitive machine. Controlled by a 6502 microprocessor (same CPU as an Apple II). Uses micro cassettes for program storage. Some of the Compact V's also have an RS-232 port for program transfer. The serial port makes the machine much less of a pain to use.

The G-Code interpreter on the Compact is very basic. Several years ago there was a guy in the UK selling a simple G-code editor that also spoke the file transfer protocol used by the Emco. Don't know it is still available.

A number of these machines have been reworked so they can be operated via Mach3 using a PC as the controller.

Blue Ridge Machinery used to carry some parts for the Compact V.

Yeah I saw that micro cassette and figured that was the hard drive. The biggest advantage I see in the emco is that it has a tailpiece, and the prolight does not. I think the grizzly might be most capable of turning steel. But they are all pretty small with a 3" chuck and 10" or 12" bed

It also looks like the Emco that you purchased has the tool changer. I used the one on ours a good bit for some of the parts we made.

It does have the changer. Both do actually. I'm just not sure they are big enough or capable to turn steel. It might make sense for me to sell All 3 lathes and buy a Combo mill/lathe that can best fill my needs

I don't think our Emco would have cut steel very well. I never tried, we used the Emco to turn dense exotic hardwood for musical instrument parts (mostly piccolo bodies and flute head joints). When we bought a German Wabeco CNC lathe to replace it, I was very happy.

I've had a couple Compact 5's (manual/ non cnc) many years ago when i used to make jewellery. They were great machines. I used mine mainly for stainless steel and titanium. Well built in Austria, then later in Taiwan. I believe yours might be Taiwan made as it is red or red/grey. Austrian made ones were orange. At the time it was quite an expensive lathe especially compared to what you get offshore now in the same price range. $2500cdn for the base no frills lathe- no chucks, no compound cross slide, no thread gearbox.......you have a little more than just the bed, motor, cross slide, tail stock and 2 dead centers. Almost $4000 later you have yourself a ready to go lathe. Then there was the milling machine attachment for an additional $1500+ that bolted up to the back of the bed

It has a tag that says made in Austria, but It's still possible that Taiwan was involved. Cutting titanium is pretty impressive for this little guy. I definitely want to use it for some fun and a bit of learning

Wow apparently these are a hot ticket item. I sold the prolight in non tested condition for $800 within an hour of listing it on eBay. The emco is listed for $1400 and already has several interested parties. Go look if anyone is interested

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=331493171766

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom