1988 CBR600 cafe---waiting for winter tear-down--riding it now!

Re: 1988 CBR600 cafe---just the beginning.

ANNNNDDDD here we are! I'm sweating like a pig in this heat, the AC is out in the shop and welding is like you are starting a fire in a sauna.... :eek:

I decided for now, to make a bracket around the headlight for mounting. So far, so good. It isn't finished at all, simply tacked in place, and no grinding or finishing done to it because that's not happening right now...ha. I think this fixes the earlier "out in the wind" headlight bracket I had before. This also adds it to the forks and not off the chassis like it was before. I feel good about it's placement because the oil cooler is going below it. Thanks for the comments and suggestions guys, they are always appreciated :-X

On with the pics!

24headlightplacement.jpg

26headlightbracketry.jpg

25headlightbracketry.jpg

That does look better. Great job with that mount too, I like that design.

Nice build...headlight looks much better now with the new bracket.

It is amazing the amount of revision these projects take isn't it. Great work!

It sure is ScrapMetal. Sometimes things just don't fit, your skills aren't up to the challenge, or just overall don't look good! haha. With that said...I've been reading chinese/engrish and have gotten the Gauges to light up!! woohoo!!! I'm off to the auto store to see if they have some connectors for my headlights. I have an H8 and an H11 I need connectors for apparently. Crossing my fingers that they have something for me...then I might be able to fire this thing up again. 8) 8) 8)

27Kosogaugewiring.jpg

28Kosogaugewiring.jpg

WOOHOO! haha ;D

Re: 1988 CBR600 cafe---She's alive!

More pics, as I am a pic-whore.

While the bike was running...
29Kosogaugewiring.jpg

30sisterpics.jpg

31sisterpics.jpg

32sisterpics.jpg

8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

I really like ur project. building a sportbike intoa cafe goes against th grain, but makes perfect sense. There isn't a lot of us out there. I love the white and red theme so far. Have u decided on a color scheme? How bout red frame, red rims, red seat cushion and white tank, tail and light bucket?

Ya know, I never really thought about a RED frame....she wants white "alligator" seat haha ::)

This build is going to be minimal for now. In other words, on the cheap, and running and drivable. I need to sell the black one to pay bills, so this white one will just be to get us until winter, at which point, the engine will be pulled out, frame painted blah blah. But thanks for the thought, I think I might go with the red frame, it would look pretty cool.

I noticed I forgot to put red on the seat subframe which would make it look even better.

Maybe I'll tape off and "rattlecan" it for now then...ha! I was thinking maybe red pipes too, but that might be too much! haha. (my wife is going to hate me for this!)

dcmspikes said:
i want that gauge. everything is looking good.

Thanks!

https://www.denniskirk.com/koso-north-america/rx-2-gp-style-speedometer.p408339.prd/408339.sku

Here goes....

I started with a seat design, and it came out OK...not perfect, but that's what I get for making the seat hard to make...ha!

34seatfoam.jpg

Now on to the GOOD Stuff!! I quickly painted some stripes on it to see if I like them, and I really do. Not sure if I want to go any larger, as I feel like it's aesthetically pleasing to the eye with how small they are. Hope you guys enjoy how it's coming out. I sure do!.

41paintidea.jpg

40paintidea.jpg

43paintidea.jpg

42paintidea.jpg

44paintidea.jpg

Next up is the exhaust. Hopefully I can make some sort of shorty Muffler from this Harley exhaust I got for free the other day!

37exhaust.jpg

Re: 1988 CBR600 cafe---almost there!!

Thanks! This exhaust is..well...exhausting. I'm not sure of the angles etc. I suppose it will happen when it happens!

Re: 1988 CBR600 cafe---color idea done, next up exhaust

Here we go!

Relatively sold on the exhaust for now. Will clean it up a bit more later. Today I started on the license holder. Not exactly what I had in my head, and maybe it will grow on me. Not sure yet. I'm thinking some speed holes in the side "covers" on the holder might fix what I have here. I got the papers all squared away yesterday, so on Monday I can finally apply for the title and legally get out and test ride the thing!

45rearlicenseholder.jpg

46rearlicenseholder.jpg

48rearlicenseholder.jpg

47rearlicenseholder.jpg

What a monster! Haha and i mean that in the positive way :) It's rad and ratty, just how i like em!
No-one will see the red paint on the brake resevoir when your doing 140 ;)

I like where thats going man and go with nice pattern of speed holes on those plates. And the exhuast is very rad man ,is it part of both those pipes ? Only down side i see on the plate hanger is getting tire off when needed :eek:

Bert Jan said:
What a monster! Haha and i mean that in the positive way :) It's rad and ratty, just how i like em!
No-one will see the red paint on the brake resevoir when your doing 140 ;)

Haha, the bike came with that red on the reservoir BEFORE I got to it! :)

As for the speed holes, that was my next thought, going from larger to smaller as it goes forward. And if I don't like it, I'm going to put more bars in there and make it look like a trellis type frame, because I know that would look cool. 8)

It's only 4 bolts, so it's just like removing a the hugger that was in there before so I'm not too worried about it getting in the way. I've still got some fab work for running lights too...not sure what I'll come up with quite yet!

Back
Top Bottom