CBX550-Brat/urban scrambler on a budget

CarbsAndCylinders said:
xb, you're being a bit vague here, I'm not sure if you kinda like the bags or think that they suck hairy balls covered in day old sweat, would you mind clarifying this?
I kinda had a feeling i might be wrong so i was making suire i would really,really, totally and in-=escapably,wrong

Alex jb said:
Top news!

Too many toys at your house ;)
What's your daily?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ha, cheers Alex....I'm very happy with the contents of my toy basket thank you.

My daily is the VW T4 panel van.....

Maritime said:
Good Job, turned out very nice.

Thank you Maritime, I'm pleased with how it turned out as well. Rides nice, but I've yet to do any mileage on it yet...and yes, it's a bit squirelly on those tyres haha! I'm sure I'll get used to it and they might settle a touch when the pimples have worn off.

CarbsAndCylinders said:
I'm not sure if you kinda like the bags or think that they suck hairy balls covered in day old sweat, would you mind clarifying this?

Maybe only freshly washed balls ;)

I like the bag,
Would you find some more interesting superlatives if I call it a satchel?

Had a day out planned which went well until I heard/felt a knock knock from the bike when riding the dual carriageway.

Turns out to be a sprocket stud had worked itself out and was contacting the swingarm and adjuster brackets.

Fortunately, my mate has his shop just up the road, I'd come out with zero tools of course ::), so he popped out with some spanners to help. We turned out the stud, tightened the other nuts and I rode it to his place. Stud refitted and all was well. Only an hour set back....so onwards to my biker mate.

He's just turned out this very tidy 1978 Honda 400twin cafe, it sure sounds nice on the megaphones. We blasted to a local biker cafe and met up with a HD rider/mate. Great day out with friends on our bikes.....it's what I built it for :D

Mine had a few folk scratchin' their heads trying to work out what the hell my bikes was....haha!

I did a deal with the cafe/bike boutique owner, he sold me his last pair of enduro boots for £155 and I sold him one of my electric water heaters for £100.....very pleased I have to say.

I'll now go over the bike to check each fixing and continue with the finishing off jobs.

Thanks for checking in.

Top stuff!

Glad you're getting some use before the weather turns

Not just a ride out but a bit of adventure too haha, we've all been there at the side of the road glad it was something simple and didn't spoil the fun guess the stocking filler xmas present sorted a bike tool kit to put in the satchel enjoy mate & ride safe

yorkie350 said:
guess the stocking filler xmas present sorted a bike tool kit to put in the satchel enjoy mate & ride safe
Yorkie is bang on there!

How does the swing arm look? Did the stud machine much material out?

Alex jb said:
Yorkie is bang on there!

How does the swing arm look? Did the stud machine much material out?

Ha.... I plan to have a basic tool kit, with allen keys included as well mind you ;)

The stud did grind out some material from the swingarm and adjuster widget, about 1mm deep and 6mm wide, I think that amount shouldn't present an issue of weakness, would it? I've seen more than that taken out for tyre clearance on other builds. The swing arm casting is quite chunky in that area.
I can replace the adjuster.

Back from another cracking day at Kempton Park Motorcycle Auto Jumble, had a great scrounge around and picked up some of what I wanted....as I always seem to do at this event :D

Best score was the Bell openface custom for £120 which came with a Bell carrier bag which is cool. Also,picked up a Bergen hex drove T bar kit, as most of the fixings on the CBX are Allen bolts, I've found having a tool like this will be a big help.

Replacement indicator body (had to buy the set), stainless cable ties and a demo bottle of non acid/chemical water based bike cleaner to trial.

My daughter and her boyfriend stayed for the weekend, so a trip out on the bikes was too good to turn down. Sunshine day and my little ray of sunshine made for a great day out.

Popped by the local biker cafe which left a few scratchin' their heads trying to make out WTF my bike is all about. Old boys spot the 400/4 tank and maybe recognise the CBX brakes.....I enjoy the intrigue and chat.

Later, outside the COSTA coffee shop.

Keep on bikin' :D

A fine day for a quick blast and found myself across the road from our place in the nature reserve for a couple of moody autumnal snaps.

Not done much recently, but I do have a few odd jobs to finish off.

Remove centre stand
Clean and paint underside
Fit number roundel/side panel
Lower the headlight
Lower the speedo
Fit bar mirror
Source/fit engine breather
Decide how I want to finish the tank.....:/

CrabsAndCylinders said:
Is it difficult to get parts the CBX550 over there? I only ask because I have one as well.

Nice pics, too.

Thanx C&C, just phone snaps. I'll have some better images when I finish the details.

There's always been a few CBX550 breaking and lots of spares for reasonable money on fleabay:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/Motorcycle-Parts/10063/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=cbx550&rt=nc&_dmd=2

Bike looks great. Glad you have some time to enjoy it. I can definitely get on board with the lower headlight, but why remove the center stand? I've done it and regret it every time I work on the sucker

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

Back
Top Bottom