My Suzi T500 Project *It's Alive Video*

Re: My Suzi T500 Project

Gary, I think it will likely be better to put the filler hole in after welding and straightening, probably less chance of the hole distorting that way. I will just be using a bolt in filler as you suggested earlier. I would love to have a TIG at the very least for the ease of tacking parts together!

Did some more work to the tank but I will be now making another one! I like the shape on the bike it looks great. Problem is everyone told me to use 14ga alloy but I decided I wanted it to be light so I used 16ga.... big mistake! Distortion is out of control and very difficult to try and straighten, also it will dent easy for sure. So out to pick up half a sheet of 14ga.

Attachments

• tank 1.JPG
    tank 1.JPG
    160.2 KB · Views: 223
  • tank 2.JPG
    tank 2.JPG
    177.1 KB · Views: 204

Small progress, shift linkage completed. Most of my time is spent on the tank at the moment.

Attachments

• shift link.JPG
    shift link.JPG
    176.2 KB · Views: 218

Well I got the bottom of the tank made and it fits really well, I am pleased with how it looks so far. I had to build the tank like this with the flange around the edge because I don't want to see the frame rails. Now I have to source a petcock and aluminum bung to braze in the bottom before I weld it to the tank top. Lots of practicing with edge welding first anyway!!

Attachments

• bottom 1.JPG
    bottom 1.JPG
    189.9 KB · Views: 223
  • bottom 2.JPG
    bottom 2.JPG
    195.7 KB · Views: 216

Looking good John, very nice. I have never built an alloy tank, I'm kinda tanking notes. I have used Pingle petcocks and like them. Nice quality and smooth action.
Cheers, 50gary

Looking top notch John, I love the detail and I'm digging the style of this bike. Keep up the good work and keep us updated.

Ok peeps, I got the tank filler installed and made a new longer rear engine mount bolt today - so moving along!

Attachments

• tank filler.JPG
    tank filler.JPG
    176.9 KB · Views: 221
  • eng bolt.JPG
    eng bolt.JPG
    178 KB · Views: 205

1969Honda said:
Looks awesome, what tank filler did you use?

Thanks! The filler I bought off of ebay, $29.99 tons of them on there.

johnu said:
Well I am moving forward with the tank. Sides and top ar made and ready for welding. As it sits right now it will have about 20mm removed from the bottom edge of the tank so it will look a bit more streamline than it does right now. First practice weld with the oxy-acetylene also shown.

Its hard to tell but is the top of the tank overlapping the sides a little or are the in perfect alignment?

Tank and all are looking good. The longer stem on the shift shaft is going to make shifting easier and more precise. Good job all around.

ffjmoore said:
Its hard to tell but is the top of the tank overlapping the sides a little or are the in perfect alignment?

They are perfectly aligned which should make the edge weld easier to do.

zooke581 said:
Tank and all are looking good. The longer stem on the shift shaft is going to make shifting easier and more precise. Good job all around.

Thanks Eric, good to see you back on here. I have run the motor since you ported it but only using the stock carbs and pipes.

Stock carbs will keep it from breathing properly and the stock pipes are okay with modified baffles. Should still be quite a difference from stock.

I only ran it to check the electrical system, it won't be ridden like this. I should be getting 34mm carbs soon and I am going to use Swarbricks pipes.

I got the bottom welded in the tank today which went pretty smoothly. As you can see in the pic my welds with the o/a are getting better. Next job is the tunnel and mounting brackets.

Attachments

• tank weld.JPG
    tank weld.JPG
    174.7 KB · Views: 879
  • weld.JPG
    weld.JPG
    160.5 KB · Views: 211

Looking Good!
I have done my gastanks in steel, but alloy will most certenly be next step in progress :)

Johnu, excellent work, that has got to be so satisfying. How long of a bead can you run like that without getting too much heat and distortion? What filler rod did you use, would it be different for TIG vs. the O/A?
Cheers, 50gary

Yes I am really enjoying making this tank now, I was expecting it to be a chore in the begining. I am totally surprised at how little distortion I have had to deal with although I have had tons of experience with welded structures so I can determine fairly well how to sequence the welding. And I did sections of about 3" long welds. The big thing is getting the flame set exactly right, well that and having a good eye and feel for when to move the flame a little to reduce the heat momentarily. I am using 1100 TIG rod with the 3003 alloy sheet.

My new goal now is to have the bike done before Christmas.

Pattheswede said:
Looking Good!
I have done my gastanks in steel, but alloy will most certenly be next step in progress :)

I saw the work you did on the steel tank which was very impressive.

Back
Top Bottom