My Suzi T500 Project *It's Alive Video*

Re: My Suzi T500 Project (The Build Up Begins!)

DreadRock said:
Now that I see it in that pic John keep the orange spring !!!!!!
Totally agree, it sets it off imo!!

Ok guys, will be getting wheels powder coated and it's time to buy some tires. I don't know much about street tires as I have really only used slicks for racing so I am looking for suggestions. I don't want to break the bank buying tyres so I will be looking at moderately priced items ideally. I mostly used Michelin slicks for racing and have been happy with them, but their street tyres seem to be pretty expensive. Are there different compounds of road tyres?

Interestingly I picked up the stock rear wheel with tyre and the Kawi wheel with tyre (the one I'm using) and the new wheel and tyre must be close to half the weight of the original, I couldn't believe the difference. I will have to get the bathroom scale out to check the actual weight difference.

John, refresh my memory what size tires are you going to fit? I should go back through the build and look it up?
Edit> Ha! Found it on page three, 17" x 3.5" frt and 17 x 5" rear. You said you'd use a 4.25" rear width?
Cheers, 50gary

50gary said:
John, refresh my memory what size tires are you going to fit? I should go back through the build and look it up?
Edit> Ha! Found it on page three, 17" x 3.5" frt and 17 x 5" rear. You said you'd use a 4.25" rear width?
Cheers, 50gary

Actually Gary, I ended up using a 17 x 4.5" rear. I want to use the narrowest tire that can be fitted to the 4.5" rear.

johnu said:
Ok guys, will be getting wheels powder coated and it's time to buy some tires. I don't know much about street tires as I have really only used slicks for racing so I am looking for suggestions. I don't want to break the bank buying tyres so I will be looking at moderately priced items ideally. I mostly used Michelin slicks for racing and have been happy with them, but their street tyres seem to be pretty expensive. Are there different compounds of road tyres?

Interestingly I picked up the stock rear wheel with tyre and the Kawi wheel with tyre (the one I'm using) and the new wheel and tyre must be close to half the weight of the original, I couldn't believe the difference. I will have to get the bathroom scale out to check the actual weight difference.

I have always preferred Michelin tires, used em on my sport bikes, as well as track bikes.

Just ordered a load of stainless bolts so I can get more stuff bolted on! Cheap fasteners at www.allensfasteners.com I just found the place through google. They don't gouge you on the shipping unlike a lot of the suppliers.

johnu said:
Just ordered a load of stainless bolts so I can get more stuff bolted on! Cheap fasteners at www.allensfasteners.com I just found the place through google. They don't gouge you on the shipping unlike a lot of the suppliers.

I like that place too. I got my chrome hardware from them. Really reasonable prices.

Not much activity, waiting for bolts. Made this oil filler plug today out of some scrap alloy.

Attachments

• plug 2.JPG
    plug 2.JPG
    193.3 KB · Views: 208
  • plug.JPG
    plug.JPG
    179.3 KB · Views: 204

I like it John. Good skills.

johnu said:
Actually Gary, I ended up using a 17 x 4.5" rear. I want to use the narrowest tire that can be fitted to the 4.5" rear.

I put a 150 rear on my 4.5 wheel and looks quite nice.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y142/jfboy/swingarm3.jpg
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y142/jfboy/1368423425.jpg

jfman said:
I put a 150 rear on my 4.5 wheel and looks quite nice.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y142/jfboy/swingarm3.jpg
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y142/jfboy/1368423425.jpg

Thanks! I will most likely use a 150, I need as much clearance for the chain as I can get. What brand is the tyre in the pics?

What should I use on my expansion chambers to stop them rusting?

My Suzi T500 Project (The Build Up Begins!)

Mop n' glo works well if you don't plan to paint.

F5CE0EE0-980F-4E67-9360-80BB4CA63CE2-120-0000002B2672F403.jpg

Yeah. I agree with 50gary. I sent the chambers on my 380 out to Jethot. They cleaned off all the rust, fixed the little pinholes in the original welds, and even coated the insides. Pricey, though. Relatively speaking.

I followed your tank build in the other thread with great interest, I never realized there was a bike build to go with it. Great job on everything. I have a question on your pipes though. What did you do for the final finish? It looks like you polished them out and then went back over the seems with the torch to get the heat marks back in. Is this correct?

oxford said:
I followed your tank build in the other thread with great interest, I never realized there was a bike build to go with it. Great job on everything. I have a question on your pipes though. What did you do for the final finish? It looks like you polished them out and then went back over the seems with the torch to get the heat marks back in. Is this correct?

You have a good eye! I did wire wheel the pipes after I finished them then ran the torch around the seems quickly to just discolour the area directly around the seems (looks more like it is done with tig). I prefer this look to the total discolouration that you get with straight oxy/acetylene welding. That was why I asked the question about what to use to protect the finish, I will use mop n glo as suggested by Walms to retain the raw look.

Walms said:
Mop n' glo works well if you don't plan to paint.

F5CE0EE0-980F-4E67-9360-80BB4CA63CE2-120-0000002B2672F403.jpg

Thanks, do I get it at an auto parts store?

Probably at the "Dollar Store" would be cheapest, it's a Kitchen floor wax product as far as I know?
Cheers, 50gary

50gary said:
Probably at the "Dollar Store" would be cheapest, it's a Kitchen floor wax product as far as I know?
Cheers, 50gary

Haha, thanks Gary!

Back
Top Bottom