1979 Moto Guzzi V50 II Cafe

Re: MOTO GUZZI V50 II Detailed Cafe Build

MOTOR COMPLETE!

Well, its finally done. :)

The heads were skimmed and gas-flowed.
The internals were balanced.
The barrels were renicasil'd.
All new bushes, bearings, seals and gaskets.
Gearbox was completely rebuilt by Anton from AR Racing Developments out of two different boxes.
Starter motor reconditioned and new solenoid.

Next step is to do the final cleanup on the casings and get it looking good.

Engine_07.jpg

Engine_03.jpg

Engine_05.jpg

Engine_06.jpg

Re: MOTO GUZZI V50 II Cafe Build **(MOTOR COMPLETE!)**

Yesimivan said:
That is a beautiful hunk of metal.

It certainly is. I'll bet your getting toey now ;)

Looks terrific.

ian

Hell thanks guys. :)

Its been a big milestone on this build for me.

Looking forward to some more creative work on the build in the next phase, which will be less technical, and more about the look of the bike.

Will be sending some parts like the lower frame cradle, foot controls, and battery plate (generally parts I know I can bolt on and not have to remove again, that wont affect the look and feel of the bike) - in for powder this week - and then I can start the mock-up...

Hoosier Daddy said:
God those engines are an awesome design. You've done well!!!

Thanks man.

They really are so nicely designed. If you look at the first pic - imagine the gearbox taken off - the actual motor is *so compact*, actually with so few parts. Relatively basic in design.

I just found this thread - terrific stuff. I bought a triple clamp set up for my V65 from feebay a while ago so that I could cut the handlebar brackets off and still have my original if It didn't work out or I didn't like it. When it arrived it was too small and ends up being from a 500. If anyone would like to swap a 650 triple clamp for a 500 let me know. Really enjoying watcing the build progress and seeing the engine re-build as well.

Hi Steve, - didnt know the V65 had a different triple clamp to the V50 and V35? Try one of the Guzzi specific forums etc with regards a swap?

Well, I cleaned up the motor. It's looking pretty good. Still not 100% happy with it, but when I do the final teardown and build, I'll give it another once over...

Motor_clean.jpg

MOCK-UP BEGINS

Right, so I spent most of the last couple of days on the part of the project that I've been waiting to get to for a good couple of months now. Started with the frame. The brakes and wiring were still on, and needed to be taken off. Tried to get my head around the wiring and where I would be moving stuff where needed, before removing.

Dead Horse:

DeadHorse.jpg

Once everthing was off, gave the frame a good high pressure blast to see where the corrosion and weak points were. Nothing unusual - battery area, brake cylinder area etc had some rust. Rest of frame pretty good.

Then set to work, bolting the essential stuff together for the mock-up...

Mockup_frontthreequarter.jpg

Mockup_rearthreequarter.jpg

Exhaust ends are not knocked into place yet, (above) as the mufflers are of an asymetrical design, and I'm still not sure which is left and which is right...

Mockup_sidehi.jpg

[Edit > added pic above ]

Mockup_fronton.jpg

Mockup_rear.jpg

It feels like I'm working on motorycle again, as opposed to a bunch of parts. A lot of ground work has been done, but there's a ton still go!

WOW! The amount of work and attention to detail you've put into this is amazing! Keep it up.. It's going to be a sweet clean machine!

Re: Moto Guzzi V50 II Cafe Build **(MOCK-UP BEGINS!)**

Stunning, it that unique Italian way.
Nice work mate.
:)

Nice work Dale...... it is really lookin' good.......

Thankyou gentlemen!
Appreciate the comments. :)

Hoosier Daddy said:
My new computer background wallpaper!!!
Friggin awesome right there!

Ha! Awesome! :)

I think that image from the back definitley dictates the profile of the rear, and I will be working with that shape.

I'm also kinda liking the Guzzi red. I've been leaning heavily towards doing the bodywork in black, in keeping with a more monochrome look, but the red is growing on me... Dunno. We'll see closer to the time.

This thing is off the charts. Can't wait to see it finished.

Back
Top Bottom