1979 Moto Guzzi V50 II Cafe

Re: Moto Guzzi V50 II Cafe Build **(SEAT AND TAILPIECE DESIGN!)**

excellent work Dale. I kinda like the clear lens on that tailight ::) Any chance you could run a red bulb? Is that legal where you are?

Love the shape of that tail too.

ian

Thanks for the profile shot. If something looks good in profile it'll look good from any angle IMO. I love those wheels, I would cross-drill the rotors but that may look too nu skool? It'll be interesting to check the curb weight when finished.
Cheers, 50gary

Absolutely gorgeous!

Great work Dale. Aesthetically and proportionately perfect...

Lou

I love the attention to the lines on that seat!

Keep it up, Dale.

Thanks again guys.

I'm pretty happy with things, but always good to get confirmation!

Ian, as far as I know I could run a clear lens on the rear.

50Gary, I agree, cross drilling would take away from the 70's era thing.

I've got this cool little decal with the Moto Guzzi Eagle, and the words "Una Storia Italia 1921". Moto Guzzi was founded in 1921 and "Una Storia Italia" translates roughly to "The Italian Story" or more accurately in context "Italian History".

It won't last forever on there, I'm sure, but I live in a fairly moderate climate, and this bike won't be used every day I think, so it should be ok. Nice little detail. The decal appeared on 750 Moto Guzzi Breva's.

Oh, and well done on the BOTM nomination Lou! :)

UnoStoriaItalia1921.jpg

Re: Moto Guzzi V50 II Cafe **(SEAT & TAILPIECE DESIGN)**

SOME COLOR SCHEMES...

I was showing my buddy Rhett the side profile shot that 50Gary had asked for, and he said, "Hey why don't you put an old scuffed up pressed steel number plate on the side?".

At first I thought it was a bit of a dumb idea..., but didn't feel like working on the bike today, but was still into doing something related to the project.

So I got a bit carried away with Photoshop, one thing led to the next, and then started playing around with some color schemes as well. Pity the carbs and brake calipers aren't fitted. The bike is a'79, hence the number.

I'm glad I did, because I think I'm seeing this bike in a different light. Maybe it's a little tongue-in-cheek and not taking itself so seriously - having a bit of fun with it...

Took some of the earlier suggestions from some of you guys as well! :) Whatcha think?

MotoGuzzi-V50-1976.jpg

Heres a side on profile of the bike in original form (not mine, this is a MKI, but it looks identical - didnt take a side on of the bike when I got it.)

DaleBestV50_WIP_Red.jpg

DaleBestV50_WIP_Red_White.jpg

DaleBestV50_WIP_Red_White_Grn.jpg

DaleBestV50_WIP_White.jpg

DaleBestV50_WIP_Black_Grey.jpg

DaleBestV50_WIP_Black_White.jpg

DaleBestV50_WIP_Black.jpg

Dale

Re: Moto Guzzi V50 II Cafe **(COLOR SCHEME MOCKUPS)**

Dale said:

Thats the winner in my book. Looks like a real racebike. Do the seat in green, and have it upholstered in red and white leather or vinyl. Very vintage European looking...

Although I like the red one with the white and green..

I really like the black with white.. It's simple and clean. Maybe you could reverse the colors so that the white part would be black and blend in with the seat really well.. Just a thought.

DaleBestV50_WIP_Black_White.jpg
[/img]

Makes me wish I had Photoshop

Thanks Von!

Interesting idea, but pretty set on making up the entire seat in black leather. That way my options are always open if I decide to change things later on...

Rossicle that's a cool idea - I'll give it a try! :) easy enough to do.

Red/white/green with #on tail or black/white with #on tail. Absolutely sweet looking bike.

This is a really cool build. I love everything about it. I'd really like to build a Guzzi one day. One thing that always kinda concerned me about them is their length. Are they as long as they look or do they just appear long?

One thing I would caution you on is the rear tire to seat bottom distance. It looks really tight--like the wheel could smack the seat at full compression. I chased my tail with my RD400 because the seat would hit the taillight. In the end, I bought longer dampers. If you love the seat--and what's not to love about it?--you could alway use longer dampers (though yours look new).

Either way, I just wanted to chime in and let you know I really like following your build.

--Cheers, Chris

johnu said:
Red/white/green with #on tail or black/white with #on tail. Absolutely sweet looking bike.

Thanks for the opinion johnu, just cool playing with different configurations. Ive also been interested to see what people out there prefered. A kind of research in a way?

motofiaccone said:
This is a really cool build. I love everything about it. I'd really like to build a Guzzi one day. One thing that always kinda concerned me about them is their length. Are they as long as they look or do they just appear long?

Well, Im new when it comes to Moto Guzzi, as this is my first one... My bike has a smaller frame than a Le Mans for example, 1400mm axel to axel. (which seems pretty close to a general standard for sports bikes to me?). I'm not sure what larger Guzzi's measure up to? They also sit fairly low, and that Im sure contributes to them looking longer? Dunno - If anybody has info on this, let us know!

motofiaccone said:
One thing I would caution you on is the rear tire to seat bottom distance. It looks really tight--like the wheel could smack the seat at full compression. I chased my tail with my RD400 because the seat would hit the taillight. In the end, I bought longer dampers. If you love the seat--and what's not to love about it?--you could alway use longer dampers (though yours look new).
Either way, I just wanted to chime in and let you know I really like following your build.
--Cheers, Chris

Ya know, I fitted the original rear fender and took a measurement of the tyre clearance before I started (50mm). But then I looked at the original pic I posted earlier of a standard V50, and realised that I must have fited the fender incorectly! Dumbass. Its more like 80mm. So, you're right, chances of it bottoming out are high. Ive screwed up a bit. Im going to have to lift the tail. Im thinking a further 20mm. The new shocks Ive got on there are fully adjustbale. Theyre currently set around the mid settings. Its pretty plush atm, so I think I can stiffen them up a bit without losing much comfort. This will help things a bit as well. Good call. Thanks! :-/

revheadgl said:
Very nice build, been following this one from the beginning. I have always like the smaller Guzzi's.

All the colour schemes look good but the stand out for me is the plain red, it just gives the bike a presence and allows that beautiful tank shape to show through.

Thankyou man. Very much appreciated. I think thats where Im at as well. You stated it plainly - it shows off the tank shape, and it feels like the right colour for the bike in general.

BTW, did you sell Minimus?

Thanks again guys. I appreciate the interest and time you guys have given this thread. Its helping me maximise on the best possble outcome for this project. Thats why I signed up here. The inspiration from the other builds, and I can only follow so many, keep one motivated and feel like part of something bigger than yourself. Just cool being here.

Take care.

VonYinzer said:
Thats the winner in my book. Looks like a real racebike. Do the seat in green, and have it upholstered in red and white leather or vinyl. Very vintage European looking...
The pic didn;t qoute along with the text but it is the second one with the red, white and green.

This one gets my vote too. Love this build Dale.

Maritime.

Another for the Red, White, Green. Lookin' good by the way!

Back
Top Bottom