1979 Moto Guzzi V50 II Cafe

Re: Moto Guzzi V50 II Cafe

Lookin' good Dale. I am kind of partial to the red with white stripes paint....... with maybe a couple of green pinstripes on each side of the white stripe........

Well, paint is delayed to end of month in theory. Dude is fully booked until then. I'm racing with him tomorrow night, so he says he'll take the stuff then and if he gets a gap he'll do it sooner.

I'm going to keep this little moto understated I think, and go with a simple black, and let its shape and form shine through.

I'll probably go a little over-the-top on the 900SS Ducati Cafe Racer, which is going to be a much more rough and ready build. This build really is about detail, and I want the purity to shine through... Its actually a relief to just make a decision on it. Been so back and forth. :)

RIGHT! So packages arrived today.

Brakes_01.jpg

Im back on the brakes as a result.

Moto Guzzi has a unique braking setup. Front lever operates right front caliper. Foot lever operates rear caliper and left front caliper. The front lever in stock form is a cable which operates a master cylinder under the tank.

Brembo upgraded this system to a more conventional one, whereby you have a reservoir and master cylinder built into the lever unit.

Im considering setting it up to a conventional system where the front hand lever operates both front calipers, and the foot brake operates the rear caliper. I'm thinking about going this route for no other reason than my riding style which has its roots in sport bike riding. Not sure if if will do this yet, but will make a decision soon.

I'll also be using stainless braided hosing.

Also decided to get a new rear master cylinder. Kits are available, but my personal experience rebuilding them has not always been good. Sometimes its more than seals etc that are worn, its the internal cylinder as well.

Brakes_02.jpg

Hi

Just wanted to say its been a great read, have only just come across your build, will be tracking it from now on.

Noted your comment on keeping standard pegs. I remember on fitting clip ons to mine I found it awkward so next pay cheque the rear sets went on, made a big difference but I was doing a lot of miles.

Gordon

Thanks for the info! Tell me more about the rearsets...

Calipers Continued...

Painted up the calipers the other day in satin black, ended up looking a touch too glossy, so a fine mist of clear satin got them looking closer to factory.

Put them together today...
Here's all the components from the various replacement kits...

Calipers_B03.jpg

Calipers_B01.jpg

Kits came with this lubricant... Its really great to work with.

Calipers_B02.jpg

Calipers_B06.jpg

A quick Before / After ...

Calipers_B07.jpg

And the final product. Vintage Brembos - good as new.

Calipers_B05.jpg

Calipers_B04.jpg

Re: Moto Guzzi V50 II Cafe ** Calipers Rebuilt **

Nice work. I should be working too but your bike is worth a break to look at.

Maritime

Ha thanks buddy! Appreciated. I'm sitting here at work and wishing I was at home working on the bike... ugghhh

Yep, also I agree to set the brakes up as front and rear seperately, the linked system I think is for less agressive riding and for people who don't know how to brake properly. i.e. use the front, ha ha, there are a lot of riders that are scared of the front brakes or who grab a mitful halfway through a turn and wonder why the front gives out and they low side. Oh yeah and I get why the black but I still like the red.

Cheers.

Hey Dale, You're killin' it for sure(which is good!) For my rear sets I went with lower frame rails and controls from a V50 Monza...simple bolt on and comfy, hard to find though At near 50 I just can't take being folded up for very long. I also de-linked the brakes. Just use a front master cylinder in the back, it bolts right up. I went with a Monza trany for the taller gearing too. The box is the same just a different input set, which can be changed. There was one Guzzi that had an even taller set but don't remember which one at the moment

Maritime said:
Yep, also I agree to set the brakes up as front and rear seperately, the linked system I think is for less agressive riding

v-pilot said:
I also de-linked the brakes.

Did you ride the bike with the linked system? How does the standard setup compare?

v-pilot said:
For my rear sets I went with lower frame rails and controls from a V50 Monza...simple bolt on and comfy, hard to find though At near 50 I just can't take being folded up for very long.

That's interesting, so same frame rails, just different peg position? ( What is the measured difference? ). Or does it have an actual factory rear set? Good to know, and seeing as its bolt on, Ill look out for finding Monza rails general going forward... I nearly picked up a Monza for parts a couple of years ago, but someone got to it before me...

Hi Dale, Not sure when they went to the linked brakes...mid '70's ish. All of the Guzzi's have it. My '87 Le Mans does. Harder to de-link those...you need to go with Brembo stuff used on Ducati's. With the linked set up the front doesn't dive so much or so fast...it takes getting used to, especially trail braking. I've had mine for so long and know it so well I have no problem keeping up with friends on newer stuff in the twisties. It tends to not make the bike want to stand up if you have to brake in a corner, also doesn't feel as if the front wants to tuck for a low side either (if you do brake that late...well I'm not going there) It's pretty forgiving. I'll measure the two rails and get back

Thanks Tetter! :)

Got to working on the gauges.

Here they are in stock form, gauge cups sit in a plastic holder. As Im not using the holder any more, painted up the cups in black, as I didnt want them to stand out.
This is the unit from my donor bike, to show what it looks like.

Clocks_01.jpg

Painted cups.

Clocks_04.jpg

Cleaned everything up, and polished the glass. Minor condensation had marked the inside of the glass, as is to be expected.

Tried to fix up the thin aluminum outer rings as best I could.

Clocks_05.jpg

Mounted up in the new bracket.

Clocks_03.jpg

Ha, thanks dudes! Took some parts (like the frame) in for powder today. That means final assembly is on the horizon!

Thanks SehnsuchtMotoMan.

Sent this stuff in earlier in the week for powder coating:

Frame_01.jpg

Frame_02.jpg

Frame_03.jpg

And here it is in nice new tough powder:

Frame_04.jpg

Frame_07.jpg

Did some parts in matt and some in satin:

Frame_05.jpg

Back