1978 CB550 Pieces/Parts Hellride

Rider52 said:
Did you use the 2K clear sold by Roth? The paint looks great! I bet it pops in the sun.
I’m using the SprayMax 2k clear. I didn’t get it from Roth, but it may be the same stuff. I will say, the one thing I don’t like about the Rattle Bombs is the nozzles. They need better nozzles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks great man.
Spraymax is the shit.
I haven't used the roth, are the nozzles like standard spraycan nozzles?

SONIC. said:
Looks great man.
Spraymax is the shit.
I haven't used the roth, are the nozzles like standard spraycan nozzles?
Yeah, and not a good, clean or solid spray pattern. It’s hard as fuck to get a good, even coating with the flake and candy layers. They’re probably what the graffiti dudes call blaster caps or super fats, especially the flake cans. I’ll buy some chisel caps next time- the calligraphy caps.

I swap them for the handle jobbies you get at hardware stores and that helps a lot. For the clear. Never shot any rattle flake except duplicoclor and those do kind of suck

Maritime said:
I swap them for the handle jobbies you get at hardware stores and that helps a lot. For the clear. Never shot any rattle flake except duplicoclor and those do kind of suck
The handle jobbies aren't a nozzle deal, though. There are lots of different nozzles you can get for spray cans. Most spray cans in the US, including these Roth cans, come with a nozzle like this:

ny-fat-trace-og.jpg

I prefer the German style, which also come in a larger band of sizes and patterns:

german-style-cap.jpg

Something I think a lot of people make the mistake with is assuming the deal ends what comes in the can, but the fact is you can get exactly the same quality work out of a spray can if you don't just assume they package it with the perfect tip for your application. Admittedly, I assumed the Roth cans would be set up with the appropriate tips, since they market the products for hot rods and such.

Ass/u/me : Thanks for the lesson, Dad.

I kinda liked the tips on some of the Duplicolor primers. Don't think they would transfer to others, though. They had nozels that could be rotated for vertical or horizontal pattern.

Yeah, those are a special male valve system and don't fit any other can. I like the 360 tips too.

If anyone hasn't figured this out by now, I'm an art school nerd, and old skate punk and a hip hop head. I may have played with spray cans in my life. You know. Art stuff.

Yeah I can't stand the round pattern caps.
The newer krylon cans have a nice fan pattern like a spray gun and it makes it so much easier to get a paint job from a rattle can. Unfortunately the paint sucks.

Yep. That's exactly it. The round cones. This is quality paint, though. So it's undoubtedly worth it. For $20 a can, I was able to paint this bike for $60 plus another $25 for the Spraymax. I plan to spray the XS and the Dreadnotred CB750 chopper with this stuff, but I'm buying better caps when I do.

So, who sells better caps? I plan to use Rustoleum Appliance black on the '79s frame. I know a lot of folks here use it - how are the nozzles?

You can get them from Amazon, though $4.40 for a single cap is a bit much.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004WQHVV4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_MEsxDbX8GNW54

A lot of art supply stores sell them at better prices.

https://www.dickblick.com/products/montana-spray-caps/

You just need to find out if your cans are male or female.

I see your point, we get a lot of the cans here with the second german style nozzle and they are better, they even have the spray center that can be turned to make the fan spray come out at different angles depending on the surface you are painting.

Irk, I learned something new again. I never knew you could get replacement spray can tops. I guess there must be a demand or they wouldn't be made available as a separate item. Only in America would someone profit from interchangeable plastic tips ;D

Back
Top Bottom