Redoing my clutch this winter.

nategs550

The GS is dormant for the winter and I want to replace the clutch. I noticed is started slipping before getting stored and while it's probably the clutch cable (replacing that too) I feel like doing as much as I can to it. My question is since it wasn't slipping bad at all should I be able to get away with just replacing the friction plates or should I just spring for the entire kit? It's a $60 difference which isn't bad but no need replacing items that are still ok.

You wont know until you take the plates out and inspect them. If they are discoloured (blue) or warped then you need to replace them. 9 times out of 10 they are OK to re-use.

Don't forget to soak the new friction plates in fresh oil overnight before you put them in.

Check the workshop manual for specs. They will spell out stock plate thickness and thickness at which they are outside of wear limits. There should also be the same sort of data on the clutch springs. Compare yours to the book and tell us what you find.

along with the items already covered make sure you do not have diluted oil from carburetors overflowing into engine .(if your bike does not overflow onto ground through bowl stand off tubes) . check your clutch springs also,normally manual will give a free length dimension .

Back
Top Bottom