Would you trust your bike on this?

Bama704

Been Around the Block
Has anybody seen the Mototote? Slides into your tow hitch and supposedly is good to hold a bike up to 550lbs. What would your confidence level be driving with this? Would you buy it?

http://www.mototote.com/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tn8RFIRn7j4

These have been around for a while. Around where I live, people use them for smaller dirt bikes mostly. I imagine with a properly rated hitch and bracing 550 lbs is reasonable though.

I would for a small dirt bike
For everything else a proper trailer is needed....for me

Kamn, I think you are right. If you have to question something like this and are unsure, a trailer or a truck bed would be the best. I was trying to think of some good ways to haul my bike around since I don't have a truck. I love the idea of this carrier, but it still makes me nervous. The only problem with a trailer is up front expense as well as storing it.

i drive by an suv that has one of these mounted and it usually has a sport bike in race plastics sitting in it ive never seen it driving around though

Bama704 said:
Kamn, I think you are right. If you have to question something like this and are unsure, a trailer or a truck bed would be the best. I was trying to think of some good ways to haul my bike around since I don't have a truck. I love the idea of this carrier, but it still makes me nervous. The only problem with a trailer is up front expense as well as storing it.

Well there are those small trailers at HF that fold up for storage and are good to tow one bike, I think they also make one that could tow 2 bikes that also folds up
The thought of a bike thats close to that trailer hitch load things capacity and swinging around on a single point just makes me cringe

Other than the 550lbs being an awful lot of tongue weight, price would be a considering factor.

Saw a guy at Barber this spring with one. Had an absolute pristine T120 on it. Said it worked great.

As long as you have some good straps and a solid trailer hitch i don't see why it's not fine. Any truck that hauls a mini excavator/bobcat sees much more tongue weight than a motorcycle, But on second thought I wouldn't put anything TOO heavy on there since the weight is all cantilevered.

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

I was thinking of one of these for our RV. I would probably test it with a slightly heavier bike than the bike I intend to haul though, just to be sure.

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

It really depends on what your hanging it off of. Most pickups with a class 3 or 4 hitch will handle it no problem, as it will be half the tongue weight limit. I don't know how safe I would feel hanging off a unibody sedan though. After having my bike slip off a ramp coming down from a pickup bed, this actually seems much safer.

A member on here (smajure) carried a '78 CB550K from Dallas to New Orleans on one, behind a Jeep JK, with no issues. He also used it to move the same CB550 and his RD350 around the city a few times. Seemed to hold the weight just fine.

Having said that though... I would never use one. Not for fear of design or construction failure, but because of the location and lack of more anchor points for securing the bike. Bikes move around some when being transported. I wouldn't want mine contacting the tow vehicle in the process.

I saw a hayabusa behind a minivan going to Myrtle Beach once. It was kinda sketch looking

Back
Top Bottom