Yamaha SR250

wrench85

Just bought this little gal for $400. Its in pretty grood condition, except the tank is all bondo'd up and has a small leak... P.O. covered it up with JBweld or something... P.O. also took a seat cover for some other bike and "tried" to fit it on the seat, the seam split across the middle... Just needs some maintenance, new tires + tubes and get it cleaned up and its good to go. Runs great. Gonna focus on getting it ridable for now, then slowly mod it into a cafe racer. I'm thinking when i start modding it, I want to first use the stock seat and create a two-up cafe seat. Need somewhere for the girlies to sit. ;D At least until I can afford a second bike.

Here it is, as it sits now.
IMG_0967.jpg

It also came with a one-up seat with cargo box. not sure what i'm gonna do with it. Maybe I'll use it as a "practical" cafe racer look! lol
IMG_0969.jpg

Today the weather finally cooperated with my days off and I had time to go out and mess around. First thing I did was break the damn thing...
IMG_0966.jpg

Spent the rest of the day fixing my blunder....
IMG_0968.jpg

I also stripped the seat cover off and am currently planning on how to mod the seat. I'll post pics as I start cutting things...

Comments/Ideas/Opinions are welcome. Its my first bike and my first cafe project. I'm competent with my tools and know my way around an engine, but i'm still a newbie and will make mistakes for you guys to laugh at... I'm really looking forward to this build!

Another one, these bikes are super easy to work on parts are compatible with the tt250 and xt250 of the same years. If it needs piston rings, order a stock set for a xs650 from mikesxs.com. Same part number and cheaper.

Love that cargo carrier. lol

sweet glad to see another one up on the site, have two making one into a cafe and keeping the other one stock good luck on your build cant wait to see what you do to it!

Got a small leak on my tank, looks like a P.O. used JBWeld all over the two corners... Now I need to know what the best way to seal it up would be? And would more JBWeld be a good temporary fix until I can properly fix it?

P.S. I will be completely stripping the tank to paint it further down the road and thats when I'll properly fix it. I just need to know the best way to do it then, and what i can do to stop it for now...

PIC

IMG_0973.jpg

i have a spare SR250 tank if you want to go this that tank has a few dents PM me if you want it and i can send you some pics of it. (its complete has petcock and gas cap)

jay_kent said:
That's a lot of JB weld and eventually it will fail. I don't recommend based...based on experience

I know it is, previous owner did it. its hard to see but both corners had that treatment and were painted over. then the one corner was then plastered with it again...

Jonny said:
i have a spare SR250 tank if you want to go this that tank has a few dents PM me if you want it and i can send you some pics of it. (its complete has petcock and gas cap)

My tank is in really great condition except for the leaky corners... So i'm not really interested right now.

Haven't updated in a while. Here's whats happened so far.

Tank sprung a leak, so i cleared out all the old jbweld and found this. I patched it up with some gas tank repair putty and covered that with high strength epoxy. It looks the same as it did before hand.

IMG_1049.jpg

Got some home made clubmans from a friend and put them on. I also cut down the stock seat, at least it doesn't look like a cruiser any more.

IMG_1056.jpg

I then tried taking it on a 400 mile trip and it started having electrical problems. Ended up leaving it where i was. I've been going insane, my bike has been 400 miles away for over a month... Don't worry, its with friends and not in any danger. I hope my tank patch has held and hasn't dumped all my gas out... This is all I have to say to the situation....

IMG_1057.jpg

In the meantime i've been trying to quell my insanity by doing research on the bike. Found out that yamaha produced a 350cc version of this motor. They are found in the yamaha BW350 Big Wheels!

1987-Yamaha-BW350-White-0.jpg

I see one of these engines in my future, mated with an MSD programable cdi box, pod filter and free flowing exhaust. Maybe bump up the compression ratio a tad. It oughta do 100mph easy, seeing as how the stock 250 will do 75-80mph already.

Hey Jonny, how much you want for that tank again? might need it after all...

aaawww bummer i cut it up to get the mounts off the tank :/... all though there might be enough of the bottom left to do some sort of marriage between the two I'll take some pics of it when i get home tomorrow and it would be free now hahaha :D

its nice to know about the BW350 engine my stock SR250 is lacking some real power hopping the racer will be a little faster seeing as its going to be stripped right down

I was quite excited to find out about the engine. I wonder how fast a hopped up 350 in such a small stripped down bike will be, maybe add a fairing to help out? It will be nice to be able to cruise the freeway with out having the bike scream its head off the whole way...

On that tank, do you still have the cap? I could use one of those too. It would be really nice to be able to patch up my tank, save me the trouble of using one from a different bike. I'll just have to wait and see the pics before i decide on it. Thanks again for the offer.

hahaha sorry about that miss post, feel like a tool totally was not paying attention to were i was posting did it after a long day at work. so yeah sure we could work some thing out to get the parts to you. i would chop off the rest of the top half of the tank, um the Canadian postal service is going on strike tomorrow not sure were the closest USP store is to me think 45mins south

That's bw350 info is cool news. Just took my wife's 250 to work. got it up to 120km/75mph today. completely stock. So still pretty ballsy for a 30 year old machine. Love these little little flickable bikes. Only problem with hers is I'm 6 foot, 215 pounds and her bike is powder blue. I get looks but nobody messes with a guy that rides a powder blue bike.

And that strike is going to suck I've got parts on the way.

I'm 6'2" and 195, so i dwarf my bike just as much as you... Just be careful, i ran my bike at 75mph all the time and i think i burnt up my cdi. Probably from the really high revs that you have to keep it at to get that fast...

haha nice i have yet to get my sr up past 110km/h don't think its running right seeing as im 5'6" and 155 on a good day. yeah i could use ups or purolater. ill price them out first for you and let you know.

nice build jay! don't suppose you have some extra sr parts around? looking of a oil filter cap and some miscellanea engine parts

Actually I do, send me a list of what you need and we can come to a price.

You guys in Ontario? I'll be at the Paris vintage Rally this year.

Yeah I am in Ontario northern about half hour north of Muskoka. Yeah have to get a list make one up after work tomorrow

Hey Jay,

here are the parts I'm looking for Oil filter Cap, the hex bolt from the cylinder and the hex bolt from the cylinder head just under the Cam cover, the Cam bolt and dowel pin, and the counter weight dowel pin(also know as the key, straight), and a washer bearing cover for the counter weight, thats all i can think of right now haha

Back
Top Bottom