popping/backfire mid throttle

Cash

Whats up guys, looking for a little direction from the more experienced here. I have a 1981 cb750c, ran like crap when I bought it, so I replaced the plugs, re packed the mufflers, replaced seals in forks, replaced intake boots, air filter, and had someone clean and sync the carbs and now the bike runs well.

Plugs and carbs were the main issues. Packing the universal mufflers helped also, there was zero packing left in them and the revs would hang at idle. Now the bike sounds and runs great, as it should, with one exception. There is a bit of popping/backfiring right around 3800 - 4500 rpm (in every gear), anywhere else in the throttle range the bike runs great. It happens on acceleration or steady throttle at that range.

Any ideas? is this typical behaviour of the bike running rich in that throttle range? There are no exhaust leaks, she's sealed up pretty well. The bike came with 4 into 4 with emgo universal shorty mufflers. Any help or suggestions would be awesomely appreciated!

carb set up is the most likely culprit, but have you ever checked coil and impedance of plug caps?

Back
Top Bottom