Brodie's Workshop

Still waiting on the bloody shop. It has been raining in the morning and after noon for the past few days. The contractor keeps putting it off. I am fed up. I took the whole week off to set up the workshop as it was meant to be built last week and all that has happened is a few joining frames have been made. I am ready to tell them to stick it up their arse!

Yep, if I had someone to give me a hand I would have done it. I called them and told them to get a different contractor, that I was fed up with them and all the delays and that they are costing me money by putting it off.

The office girl is meant to call me back and every time I call she is either out or running late.

That sucks, if we could we would hop a plane and do it Dtt style and you would have a shop in a day!. I hate that some of us are too far away to help out.

Ok, trying to stay positive.

Tomorrow it will be built

See if that works.

Me and my 51 year old wife built this: shop all but shingles and paint took a bit longer it took us 6 weeks of weekends and after work grinding at it... If I were you I would find a contractor myself and fire them fuckers.

Attachments

• IMG_20140925_182121209.jpg
    IMG_20140925_182121209.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 389
Damn Tuna. Your workshop is a big as my house!

Yeah I am tempted to do that but I am unsure as how to go about it considering the contract includes them building it. If there is no progress by the end of the month that I will just do it my self.

Brodie said:
Damn Tuna. Your workshop is a big as my house!

Yeah I am tempted to do that but I am unsure as how to go about it considering the contract includes them building it. If there is no progress by the end of the month that I will just do it my self.

Does the contract have a timeline or completion date? I was a GC for a long time and here we have penalties for missing completions and the right to fire the GC if they are not meeting requirements. I realize your shop is not commercial, but the rules apply to residential construction also. Good luck, hope it works out man!

AH, this takes me back to first year law school. Contract law.... 3 MUSTS for contract formation.

Agreement on scope
Agreement on time
Agreement on price.

Any one of those missing... no contract formation. Any one of those SUBSTANTIALLY incomplete.... breach of contract. A contract like that can be voided by you, or you can sue for damages. You are required to pay for goods and services provided (to avoid a claim in unjust enrichment) but can find someone else.

Course this is not legal advice, but a mere sharing of knowledge but if your contractor is seriously delinquent (and assuming contract does not have any clauses dealing with lateness, weather, etc) you can tell him or her to take a hike. Just pay for services rendered.

Love the plan for the shop by the way.

Had a read through the contract but there is no set finish dates. Well at least I know for next time.

All good though as the contractor arrived at 8 am. And there is not a cloud in the sky.

And when it's done, punch that contractor in the nose..............................

So this morning it looked like this.
aef0695b19cf75f24ae338b5cd8d639d.jpg

Then after an hour and a half.
7485e5c7dc31b2c5fdc5b612f3e0d5f2.jpg

Then they went on break. Still awaiting their return.

Yeah, not as effective as over there.

They are back and moving along quick. They said if they do not finish today they will be back Sunday. So at least they are willing to catch up on the weekend.

Sunset on the workshop. I would say it is about 40% done.
55cc2b3c3f7b5fa7adc15868c3c62cec.jpg

The contractors said they might be back tomorrow afternoon maybe. Surprisingly the offsider was keen to get it done and told the foreman to harden up.

Yep and so is my old man. He wants my bikes out of his garage now that I have my own place.

I have to try and hold off until I can get some kind of floor coating down. I figure it will be easier to do whilst it is an empty space.
Once that has set I will move in some "Workbenches" my father has "donated" which will be easy enough to cut up and custom fit to the space. They are the old kitchen from my parents place and can be seen in a few of my build threads. Not what I had imagined but beggars can't be choosers.

The weather forecast for tomorrow is sun all day. So they should be back around lunch time to finish off the frame work.

Back
Top Bottom