Cb450 Rookie project.

ninja750

Today i started to rip my bike to pieces (Its a Cb450 1973 located in Sweden but originally from Toronto).
I will probably post ALOT of questions here, cause even thou i love it, I´m more used to ride my bikes than workin on them...
..... Started on the front end. Lowered the frontend, removed everything except the most essensial stuff (more work than i thought..) Mounted clipon, and started removing the old handlebars (really funny cause the electric wiring is inside :'(.
Now to my question: I removed the rubber boot fork cover, and realized that there are no protection seal (dust sealing??) where the tube penetrates ::)the forkleg...
Do you have any suggestions on what to use for (dont know what it´s called) dust sealing/cover??
I hope you understand my question, thou my english sucks...
I will post pics later. Cheers

Some pics..
iloveelectrics.jpg

cb450.jpg

cb45073.jpg

Waiting for 11" rear shocks..

You can use dust boots from another bike or aftermarkets. What kind of shocks do have now? They don't look stock.

DrJ said:
You can use dust boots from another bike or aftermarkets. What kind of shocks do have now? They don't look stock.
It´s stock, but i have stripped them from all the chrome and rubber... i´m checking if it fits from a cb500/550. I´ve seen that some of these models have only the small rubber at the bottom, Not the big/tall boot that i removed.
Thanks DrJ.

Looking good - keep going..
And when you think you have stripped down the bike enough, take some more things off ;D

Nice work... the new shocks will make a big difference in the stance.

BTW... any extra wire shelving? :D

To give ya a sneak peak of how much those 11'' shocks make to the look of these bikes, see below -->
450-73.jpg
Pic on the left is the bike completely stock, and the one to the right is the bike in it's current state...

Hey ProTeal, The local Honda shop doesnt have a fuckin clue on from what bike i can use "dust seals" to my fork..
May i ask from what bike you used???
I could order a few to test, but they are 50 us dollars/pair........
And hell yeah BIG difference......Cant wait to change shocks.

ninja750 said:
May i ask from what bike you used???
I could order a few to test, but they are 50 us dollars/pair........
My dust seals are aftemarket. I would guess any from a CB450/CB550/CB750 will work.
Check out HTTP://WWW.CRC2ONLINECATALOG.COM and see if they have them available.
For things like this I would stay as far away from the dealer as possibile..

ProTeal55 said:
My dust seals are aftemarket. I would guess any from a CB450/CB550/CB750 will work.
Check out HTTP://WWW.CRC2ONLINECATALOG.COM and see if they have them available.
For things like this I would stay as far away from the dealer as possibile..
Ordered a pair today, some aftermarket seals (for harley) about 10 USD...... :) hope they fit..
Thanx again

just wondering about the rear shocks on your bike Joe,...
It being so low, does it rub on the lower back of your cafe seat, (bottom-out), when you go over bumps/driveways, etc..etc..
Or is it so stiff that it may as well be a "Hard-Tail"?
The reason I ask is that from the pics, the top of the rear tire looks pretty darn close to the bottom of the seat...
Ive installed the lower shocks on Martin's bike but I never rode it.

Some progress pics...
nr2.jpg

nr3.jpg

DSCF1801.jpg

I´ve mounted the shocks from cyclexchange..... nice N low...
I´ve also done my best to make the seat a little comfy... I took the stuff used for reducing sound/noise in cars.... Will it work??
Now i just have to find someone who can dress it up nicely..
Next is:
Cutting off frame rear
New battery box/moving battery?/ smaller battery??
Mounting dust seals
More....More........................................

locOleoN said:
just wondering about the rear shocks on your bike Joe,...
It being so low, does it rub on the lower back of your cafe seat, (bottom-out), when you go over bumps/driveways, etc..etc..
Or is it so stiff that it may as well be a "Hard-Tail"?
The reason I ask is that from the pics, the top of the rear tire looks pretty darn close to the bottom of the seat...
Ive installed the lower shocks on Martin's bike but I never rode it.
I had to cut about 1'' off the back of my cafe seat in order to free up some room.
(the blue tape on the seat is what i eventually cut off--->
CB450.jpg

Everything was cool untill I hit a hella bump and the rear tire came in contact with the seat and caused some stress cracks (nothing major). So now the shocks are on their stiffest setting, and all is well.
450-70.jpg

With the bike being so low it rides hard anyway, so I really dont even notice the stiffer shocks in the rear compared to how they were before...

A little of what i´ve done so far......
DSCF1832.jpg

A big thankz to my girlfrien who helped me do the seat... Yes i know the colour sucks.... (redo in winter..)
DSCF1840.jpg

This is how i chose to mount the battery..... It´ll do??
DSCF1841.jpg

I´ve also bought a taillight/licenceplateholder, that i´m going to place low on the right side, more pics later. Cheers

How did you get the exhast clamps off? Im trying to clamp on some tail pipes exactly like you did but cant get the clamps that connect the muffler and the header off.

I torque on the clamp bolt but nothing happens. The clamp just flexes from the torque.

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom