1980 TT250 PLASTIC GAS TANK STRIPPING ORIGINAL PAINT???

JoePokorny

hi guys

bought this 1980 yamaha tt250 that runs mint only thing is the gas tank looks ratty as hell

has OG paint on it i'd like to strip it off and re-paint it white

whats the best way for getting the paint off?

IMG_6469_zpsohzeqmfw.jpg

Rust-Oleum Aircraft Stripper is not for plastic. You have to get one, like the Klean Strip version, that works on plastic. Rust-Oleum warns against using aircraft stripper on any synthetic surface.

irk miller said:
Rust-Oleum Aircraft Stripper is not for plastic. You have to get one, like the Klean Strip version, that works on plastic. Rust-Oleum warns against using aircraft stripper on any synthetic surface.

All Aircraft Strippers warn against using them on actual aircraft also. ;D

o1marc said:
Cool, so if it fucks up his tank he can go to you for reimbursement. Since Rust-Oleum warns against it, they won't guarantee it. Plus, anyone with chemical knowledge has a pretty good idea why the warning is there.

irk miller said:
Cool, so if it fucks up his tank he can go to you for reimbursement. Since Rust-Oleum warns against it, they won't guarantee it. Plus, anyone with chemical knowledge has a pretty good idea why the warning is there.

Hey dick head, I didn't tell him to use Rustoleum. And how does saying not to use it on aircraft in some way make a recommendation to use a brand I didn't say to use. There are many kinds of plastic and I would be willing to bet the stripper would not harm that fuel tank. If the stripper is harmful to one kind of plastic they will say not to use it on any just to cover their ass. The active ingredient in most of these strippers is Methylene Chloride, not harmful to most plastics.

o1marc said:
Hey dick head
Just responding your smart-ass comment. I'm sorry if disagreeing with you is difficult. Dichloromethane (Methylene Chloride) is not compatible with Polypropylene. It will cause it to break down. Polypropylene is a common plastic for fuel tanks.

so, soapy water and sandpaper until i get down to the plastic a bad idea? a whole bunch of videos on youtube suggest it but it sounds more like its for removing non-original paint.

irk miller said:
Just responding your smart-ass comment. I'm sorry if disagreeing with you is difficult. Dichloromethane (Methylene Chloride) is not compatible with Polypropylene. It will cause it to break down. Polypropylene is a common plastic for fuel tanks.

You said Rustoleum isn't recommended for plastic. I replied that it isn't recommended for aircraft either and somehow my comment was smart ass? My statement had nothing to do with plastic or the issue a hand, it was merely a statement in fact. In my powder coating operation I use straight 100% liquid methylene chloride, nasty stuff. Keep it in a plastic vat. BTW, it comes delivered in a plastic drum.

JoePokorny said:
so, soapy water and sandpaper until i get down to the plastic a bad idea? a whole bunch of videos on youtube suggest it but it sounds more like its for removing non-original paint.

More work than any paint strippers, but it will work just fine. Since its the original paint, you can just sand it smooth and paint over the existing coat, you don't necessarily have to strip it bare. I find that painting over prepped factory paint can be better than stripping down to bare surface and priming with rattle can primer. Especially on plastics.

o1marc said:
I use straight 100% liquid methylene chloride, nasty stuff. Keep it in a plastic vat. BTW, it comes delivered in a plastic drum.
Do you store it in a polypropylene drum? There are thousands of types of plastics. Some are resistant to certain chemicals, some are resistant to other chemicals. You know why many people prefer Viton o rings? Yeah, it's kind of related to this conversation.

o1marc said:
My statement had nothing to do with plastic or the issue a hand, it was merely a statement in fact.
We're talking about a plastic fuel tank. Why are you making comments or suggestions that have nothing to do with plastic?

o1marc said:
In my powder coating operation I use straight 100% liquid methylene chloride, nasty stuff.
Think about this statement for just one minute. Why do you use methylene chloride (and acetone) in powder coating? To remove powder coat, maybe? There are several types of powder coating, as you know, two of which are thermoplastics or a thermoset polymers. Polyethylene is a thermoplastic. Crazy. So, is it a surprise that a chemical used in removing a thermoplastic may not be good for removing paint from a thermoplastic?

And yes, when you made this comment, which quoted my comment warning against using aircraft stripper, I think you were being a smart ass...

o1marc said:

Here's the deal: You probably consider yourself a good powder coater. And you probably consider yourself an expert in the field, as well as one on paint. Maybe you are. But for you to advise someone to use a chemical on a plastic, for which you have no idea of the composition, is irresponsible. I'm sorry you think I'm a dick for pointing it out. If there is any uncertainty, then it's probably not a good idea to use that chemical on the plastic without further testing on something expendable with the same composition. Maybe it's fine. Maybe it's not. The problem is, if it's not fine then someone is out a tank. If he doesn't use the chemical, then he's just out some sweat.

I'm with Irk on this one..... don't use aggressive solvent strippers on plastic as you might end up in a world of pain trying to stabilize the surface you have just uncovered to be able to paint it. If it isn't down to the bare plastic anywhere then just prep the factory surface and prime over that. If you strip it down to bare plastic then I'd advise a bit of elbow grease, 180 grit to start and then finish with 320 before using a good plastic etching primer before priming.

I don't think Yamaha painted the tank from new, it was just shiny plastic, they go yellowish with age as a result of petrol staining.
When anyone I've known has tried to paint an mx bike plastic tank, the paint won't stick to the tank.
Try and find a similar age XT 250 tank, it should nearly fit, but the front mountings will be different.

Over the years I found 2K epoxy primer to be the least probable to react with any surface.
Painted the plastics on my RD this way.

I would hand-sand the plastics,degrease and then lay on a few thick layers of epoxy then sand again.

Back
Top Bottom