Doing The Ton

grandpaul

Author, "Old Bikes"
DTT SUPPORTER
DTT BOTM WINNER
I've been doing the Ton since 1974, when I got my '72 Yamaha XS-2 650 (used). Since then, EVERY road-legal street bike I've owned (nearly 100 of the 150 bikes I've owned) has done the Ton, with the exception of 3 out of the 4 Kawasaki 400 twins I had (they just hit a brick wall right at 99 indicated).

Since I opened Born Again Bikes, the only bikes that have left my garage that DIDN'T do the Ton, were rolling projects and basket cases! I like fast bikes.

I'm also into vintage roadracing and have raced at many different tracks in the U.S. including Daytona, Barber's Motorsports Park, Road America, Willow Springs, Bonneville salt flats, Miller Motorsports park, Sandia Raceway, Texas World Speedway, Roebling Road, Grattan Raceway, and the "Texas Mile" at both Goliad and Beeville tracks.

404842658.jpg

386651103.jpg

376362351.jpg

376362345.jpg

335079620.jpg

I no longer do the Ton around town, and have been very good at minding the throttle on the Interstates, but still do the Ton every time I road test a completed project bike, because it's not finished till it can do the Ton without blowing up or losing parts! I also like to wick it right up in the Texas hill country every chance I get, there's just nothing like it.

Back
Top Bottom